Quantcast

All In, no Out

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
i, too, mocked southern drivers/how everything shuts down when i first moved here from CT. and to be sure, there are many idiots. as someone mentioned, there's not a ton of snow removal equipment. and no one has snow tires. but most of all, this area is usually on a weird line between snow and ice, which makes it extra tricky because it's typically a shitty mix between the two, or snow over ice.

oh, back to topic. never been to an in n out. and that's ok with me. late nights in a waffle house or ihop? many. details are usually a little hazy though.

dammit, now i want pancakes. which reminds me, hey @Nick did you ever go to Walker Brothers pancake house outside of Chicago? That place was the best.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
nothing beats studs

...........for one season

ive gotten a legit 4 out of a set of blizzaks. I dont mess with anything else anymore. Theyre the slow reazay of truck tires.
They last longer here because there is almost zero dry pavement for the four months that they are on. Going on five years, studs are still somewhat ‘sharp’.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yeah, you’ll get years and years of both bike and car studded tires if you just use them in the winter shit. Lots of times you can find someone’s old studded tires on Craigslist and get a bunch more years of use. This year I went with Toyos. I’ve had Nokians and a few others.

velocipedist

Lubrication Sensei
Jul 11, 2006
Rainbow City Alabama
Yeah, from the link

"Only six states permit the use of studded tires without restriction: Colorado, Kentucky, New Hampshire, New Mexico, Vermont, and Wyoming. Most of the remaining states allow studded tires with date restrictions."

WY and CO monkeys carry on.

No restrictions here that I have heard of.
Hell, we get frosts every month of the year!

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
in n out....a california thing i could give 2 fucks anout undrrstanding...

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
No tire studs allowed here in Flatario.
This area is a snow / ice mix, lots of freeze / thaw so Ice friction type tires win in this area over deep snowies.

Hakkapeliitta R3's for my snowies on both vehicles.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
They last longer here because there is almost zero dry pavement for the four months that they are on. Going on five years, studs are still somewhat ‘sharp’.
go outside and take a picture of your studs right now

jackson gets plowed just like everywhere else. you certainly dont need ""dry" pavement to wear down studs. Studs are worth a damn for about 2 seasons if you drive beyond just short local stuff. Amazing season 1, functional season 2, not much left after that. Certailny not on par with blizzaks in that same time frame.

Serious question to the stud boys: have you ever actually owned a set of blizzaks? Cuz I said all the same things you did until I bought a set. I'm still on 2 of that set I got in 2014. They really are different. I'm not saying 'studless' snow tires are good because they're not. I'm saying 1 tire in particular punches the other's in the pussy.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
on the rare occasion it snows here i just stay home. not because i can't drive in the snow (i spent 4 winters in upstate NY), but because everyone else here can't.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i like in n out, at least as far as fast food goes. part of the appeal (at least as an east coaster) is that i can't get it. then again, i'm not the kind of person that eats a lot of fast food in the first place.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Whole bunch of shit going on in this thread...

1. In-n-out.
- As a kid growing up in SoCal, $5 for a double-double and shake was huge after surfing for 6 hours. Even working part-time at a min wage job, I could afford a burger after surfing.
- It's the burger I grew up with. I've tried 5 Guys, White Castle, Good Times, etc. Personally found them all pretty meh. The same way people from the home regions of those burgers find In-n-Out meh. It has a lot to do with it being a regional restaurant chain. Yeah they are "just a burger" but the seasoning and sauces they use are just different enough that the taste will be just enough different that it's the one you grew up with and how you identify a burger should taste.
- I'm not waiting for 14 fucking hours for In'n'Out. I definitely stopped for burgers almost every meal on the road when going to/from CA, but I'm not waiting that long. There are three others opening in Denver-metro in the next 6 months, iirc. I can wait.

2. Tires.
- Snows FTW. Driving over Berthoud Pass you have two lane options: right- well plowed, well tracked or outside. or left - sloppy, not well plowed, and slippery. In all-seasons you are effectively limited to the right lane. In snows, you get your lane choice. When we've been running behind to get Haley to Devo, I'll charge the left lane. We've gotten to the lot far enough ahead that we've had time to get our gear on, skis off the car, and started walking when one of the cars we passed at the bottom of the pass just pulled into the lot. Sure it's not the best idea, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
How likely is a ticket?

Laziness and a likelyhood I would not remember the date restrictions always pushed me towards blizzaks in SD.

Not that DC or GA have conditions that require studs, their vague restrictions made me chuckle.

And WTF MN?

Same with window tint, or loud exhaust, etc. Highly unlikely, unless you are doing something else to attract attention and get pulled over, then you will probably get written up on all your violations.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Hey 'woo, have you run a set of Nokians before? I'm interested to hear how they measure up to Blizzaks if you're run both.

/me has only run General Altimax Arctics and then Nokians

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Into our 4th winter on current Blizzak's, likely their last looking at the wear bar when I mounted them a week or so ago.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Into our 4th winter on current Blizzak's, likely their last looking at the wear bar when I mounted them a week or so ago.
I've gotten 5 winters out of our Blizzaks on all the Foresters. 3 on the M, but that thing at tires.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Hey 'woo, have you run a set of Nokians before? I'm interested to hear how they measure up to Blizzaks if you're run both.

One of my sled ski buddies has a set and he won't shut up about them. I know they tried to duplicate the porous rubber that's patented on the blizzaks. You likey? I haven't driven them.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Yeah, I like them. Certainly much better than the Generals and way better than the Hankook i'cept winter evo 2 set that I took a chance on and hated.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

I used the hakkepiledas or whatever they are called. They were brilliant.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Yeah, I like them. Certainly much better than the Generals and way better than the Hankook i'cept winter evo 2 set that I took a chance on and hated.
Another one of my sled buddies raves about his general grabber things for some reason. I've literally watched him just spin and move sideways down a mildly banked parking lot in 4wd :rofl:

Yours studded?

I think my biggest gripe about studs is that they won't stud a really soft tire. So when the studs wear down/fall out, you have a harder compound tire left. Shit like blizzaks don't even come with stud holes. It looks like one of the nokian hakkaalphabets are like that.

I bought some cooper discover ice thingys for my flatbed that are strongly mediocre. I'll probably end up buying something else soon because that's what I'm driving if it's snowing usually. I wanted something I could drive in summer and I ended up with a trail bike for dh.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I have the Hakka R3 SUV, non-studded. (Their stud-capable ones are named Hakka 7, 8, etc.)

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I can get blizzaks in the size I need for the party wagon but I'll keep an eye on my buddy with those nokians this season.

He pays people to do complex things like put grips on his snowmobile so I take what he usually says with a grain of the entire dead sea.

Have you ever kept a car long enough to compare those nokians with blizzaks?

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I've never had Blizzaks. Only the Generals and the short lived time with Hankooks. Thus I was hoping you'd been the guinea pig but alas we only have competing anecdotes from different samples.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I've never had Blizzaks. Only the Generals and the short lived time with Hankooks. Thus I was hoping you'd been the guinea pig but alas we only have competing anecdotes from different samples.
I know 2 people that have used nokians and now buy blizzaks. @Jm_ One of them anchorage, same guy who convinced me to quit buying studs and try the B's. Both of them are what I would call pretty dangerous drivers. I know one who went the other way. I'll get in his truck at some point this winter and test a parking lot. I do know he hasn't bought a second set of nokians yet.

I'm the dork who goes and does donuts dead stop 2wd starts when I get a new set of tires to see what I'm dealing with.