Quantcast

All mountain 3

SpK

Chimp
Oct 4, 2005
I recently purchased an Marzocchi All Mountain 3 and I want to get some advice on setting it up correctly. Marzocchi's manual seems to have a lot of incorrect information and I can't tell what to trust and what not to. Anyone have one of these or tuned one of these? I took it to my LBS and they said they had never seen a Marzocchi All Mountain before. Not exactly the best shop around.

Any advice? I am 175 lbs, 180 with gear and I tend to ride aggressive XC and some light freeride (no more than 3-4' drops). This fork will be on a hardtail steel singlespeed that I tend to ride very hard.

Let me know. Thanks.

SpK

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I beleive those have an external air preload, so pump it up a little if you want more add more less take a little out then the rebound just tune to preferance, I think those are the only tuning bits you have to worry about

SpK

Chimp
Oct 4, 2005
Thanks for the help. I set it up last night and it runs beautifully. I can't wait to give it a test run on the trail this weekend...

SpK

SpK

Chimp
Oct 4, 2005
Alright, I have given my AM3 a few rides and I really like it. It has a nice solid feel to it and runs nicely on a singlespeed. I have thrown it down some seriously steep rollers and a few sub 4' drops and it has performed as advertised. I have a few comments and questions on it however:

First, you really need to put more air in than is specified in the manual. I put in 38 lbs. as speced for my weight and found that I was no where near full travel (20mm or so short). I put more air in it and it seemed to extend to full travel.

My second observation is that I don't seem to be using the full travel. I checked the dust marks on the fork after a hard day of riding and it only seemed to ever compress about 3.5 inches or so. Never coming close to using full travel. It never bottomed out but I think I am getting cheat out of full travel. Any suggestions? Here is how I have it set up:

Oil: 175 cc in the right leg, 40 cc in the left leg (does that seem weird to anyone else)
Air: ~50 psi in both legs

Let me know if you all have any advice.

SpK

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
One of them Boston suburbs
SpK said:
Alright, I have given my AM3 a few rides and I really like it. It has a nice solid feel to it and runs nicely on a singlespeed. I have thrown it down some seriously steep rollers and a few sub 4' drops and it has performed as advertised. I have a few comments and questions on it however:

First, you really need to put more air in than is specified in the manual. I put in 38 lbs. as speced for my weight and found that I was no where near full travel (20mm or so short). I put more air in it and it seemed to extend to full travel.

My second observation is that I don't seem to be using the full travel. I checked the dust marks on the fork after a hard day of riding and it only seemed to ever compress about 3.5 inches or so. Never coming close to using full travel. It never bottomed out but I think I am getting cheat out of full travel. Any suggestions? Here is how I have it set up:

Oil: 175 cc in the right leg, 40 cc in the left leg (does that seem weird to anyone else)
Air: ~50 psi in both legs

Let me know if you all have any advice.

SpK
If you're not getting anywhere close to the max travel, the problem is probably that you have it set up too progressive... If you like not sagging the fork at all (usually the sag when you sit on it should be at least 10%) and don't want to go back to the spec'ed air pressure, then the thing to do would be to lower the oil height a few mm (probly about 5 but def. less than 10mm). This will increase the size of the air chamber at full compression as a fraction of the uncompressed chamber size, linearizing the resistance increase through the stroke a little bit.