Quantcast

All of the Corsair bikes are up!!

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Those guys right off the bat have done what so many small builders have tried to do for decades. I do not care if its same design as brand x, brand z, the bikes look really good, graphics that fit the image of the sport, just a cool package.
Well done to those guys, wish them luck.

Jun 29, 2007
Alabama
They are super fine. I love that they made a different suspension for every bike. To me that demonstrates a desire to actually make the best bike for the purpose rather than stick to one proprietary technology. Those bikes are beautiful in person. I want em all too.

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
I'm looking forward to seeing the animation for the freeride and AM bikes. I'm trying to figure out how that shock is activated. Nice looking bikes and individual looking too. Hope the ride is up to the standard of the aesthetics.

jsh191

Monkey
Nov 16, 2006
birdsboro, pa
I'm looking forward to seeing the animation for the freeride and AM bikes. I'm trying to figure out how that shock is activated. Nice looking bikes and individual looking too. Hope the ride is up to the standard of the aesthetics.
main pivot is actually the one above the chainstay, and the rocker that activates/moves the shock rotates about the BB. the action of the rear triangle pulls the smaller linkage backward (counterclockwise) and upward, rotating the arm around the BB and compressing the shock from the bottom.

the bikes do look pretty sweet... graphics, geometry and style are dead on!!!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
WOW...that maelstrom FR bike is DOPE....low COG, nice high pivot with an idler...two front chainrings...wonder what the price is? Could use a higher BB IMO, i'm not fond of short cranks and rocks like you west coasters.

I'm very curious as to the weight of these rides...massive shocks, TONS of overengineering...two shocks on some bikes...it's a little scary. Why, if they end up emulating a single pivot, do they use two links on the slopeslopper bike? to be different? seems like excess weight to me....

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
also, I still don't understand why they market all these dualshock bikes as having pedalling platform or bottom out protection. Why not axle "area" instead of path?

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
also, I still don't understand why they market all these dualshock bikes as having pedalling platform or bottom out protection. Why not axle "area" instead of path?
indeed. some interesting potential there. though i imagine it's a challenge to 'area' tune the two shocks, and much simpler to have the upper & lower ranges.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
true, tuning would be a beatch...but I imagine you would tune the main shock normally, and adjust the air shock purely for rearward travel. Maybe they're concerned with the bearings on the upper shock...but from what I see, nobody is using 9.5" anymore, and most people are moving to 7" bikes...so keep 7" of vertical and a few inches of rearward....It just doesn't make sense to add a secondary shock when shock mfgs are making such good bottom out resistance and frame mfgs are making good rising rate linkages...

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
yeah, i could see the shock bushing having a short lifespan (with the swingarm pivoting up on it) & the shock seeing a fair amount of lateral stress - that lower pivot assembly is going to have to be really stiff. the more i think about it, the more this design seems kinda sucky, actually (pure, unsubstantiated speculation of course). at least it looks pretty.

Jun 29, 2007
Alabama
It doesn't have a suspension area. It has a modified axle-path. The second shock doesn't move until the end of the travel. It behaves like a single pivot then at bottom-out the axle moves up and back to deal with sharp-edged hits. You can also remove the second shock and lock out the linkage to make it a shorter travel single-pivot for snappier courses.

The Konig has two links to attain a stiffness and durability level that is very difficult to attain on single pivots.

wetsponge007

Monkey
Jan 2, 2006
Camarillo
What do you guys think the prices will be like? I was looking at the Konig and the Marque, and saw the post that Doug posted about the prices being in line with the top 25% of high end bikes.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'm estimating that you work for Corsair. Correct if wrong.

Why not use it as an axle area bike? Surely the average rider encounters square edged hits without using 7" of travel...right? Why not utilize that second shock even when you're not maxed out? Theoretically, unless there is a design feature preventing it, you'd use that second shock any time if it had a low enough air pressure. Karpiel tried a blow off air shock...they sold twelve.

I find it hard to believe the addition of links would make a bike stiffer, rather than a large pivot axle, good bearings, and perhaps a scissor link (foes).

Jun 29, 2007
Alabama
I'm estimating that you work for Corsair. Correct if wrong.

Why not use it as an axle area bike? Surely the average rider encounters square edged hits without using 7" of travel...right? Why not utilize that second shock even when you're not maxed out? Theoretically, unless there is a design feature preventing it, you'd use that second shock any time if it had a low enough air pressure. Karpiel tried a blow off air shock...they sold twelve.

I find it hard to believe the addition of links would make a bike stiffer, rather than a large pivot axle, good bearings, and perhaps a scissor link (foes).
Don't work for them. I had the chance to ride the Konig at CW Colorado and I talked to the engineer at length and know people that have ridden the crown.

It still moves up and back as a single pivot. The high-rearward pivot is responsible for that. It still handles and behaves like a single pivot. Much snappier feel than other rearward axlepath bikes. The goal is to get the best of both types of suspension. If properly set up the second shock won't move until the end. That would make it handle poorly apparently. (can't testify to this myself)

The Konig is crazy stiff and it's not heavy. The short links distribute the load evenly among the four sets of bearings. Eight bearings sharing a load last a lot longer than two.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
the bikes are nasty and pablo is a great guy. real bad ass company producing awesome looking bikes that ride really well. you guys have to check out their pedals. one of the lowest sets i have ever seen (think old atomlab but thinner) but without the bearing and bushing woes of old

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
It's that "give it an inch and it'll take a mile" philosophy.
Where are these guys located at?? I thought about that AFTER I called them and left a message. No answer and I'm not a very patient person.

So what price range is considered the "top 25% of the high end bikes???" Cuz Specialized far exceeded that this year and Ican't afford one of those now...

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
made overseas, based out of washington im pretty sure and offices in cali. i could totally be making this up right now but im pretty sure thats what i was told

SPDR

Monkey
Apr 21, 2006
Engerland
I do wish the Maelstrom had a 73/135 rear end rather than the 83/150 but then that's just me I guess. Oh and I'd have one as soon as they come out if they put a decent shock on it rather than the dubious Revox.
The specs seem to indicate it'd be the perfect all round bike but as said above - how much she weigh?

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Damnit, it's SO close to my SX I wonder if it's even worth messing with. My SX has an Avalanche shock, an inch less travel, a half inch higher BB height, a half inch shorter chainstay, same headangle. What mine needs that the Corsair has is a lower standover, a lower BB, and a fresh look. My SX has NO chain growth or feedback(that I've ever noticed anyway) and it feels great hauling ass. Love those Avys! Which is probably what the Corsair would get if I got one. But I think a 3.5" DHX would feel a lot more lively on the jumps!

MouseMonkey

Monkey
Jul 29, 2006
Salt Lake City
You mean the guy trying to start a whole new bike company isn't answering his phone? As far as I have seen and heard, there are maybe two or three prototypes of the König and Ducat, and no production bikes available yet. I don't think there is a Crown prototype yet, so I doubt anybody has ridden it.

Dude probably isn't going to have a complete price list ready to fax to you.:D

He's still hiding from his phone. I want answers damnit! I need a price so I know if I should sell my lovely SX!

Jun 29, 2007
Alabama
You mean the guy trying to start a whole new bike company isn't answering his phone? As far as I have seen and heard, there are maybe two or three prototypes of the König and Ducat, and no production bikes available yet. I don't think there is a Crown prototype yet, so I doubt anybody has ridden it.

Dude probably isn't going to have a complete price list ready to fax to you.:D
There are a few crowns floating around. There are a handful of all the frames and the productions ones are being made now.