Quantcast

All right I have to put in my .02 about Sugar

ztlh13

Monkey
May 9, 2003
East Tennessee
Sunday, Gerritt and the Morewood guys were digging, Herndon was digging and I finally staopped on my last run and filled in the creek crossing with some good sized rocks and the course is better. The nasty turn into the narrow drop up top is not very cool, rideable but not cool! Wet that will be a nightmare. The new entrance to the Dungeon is better and has two line around the tree. Matt and Ellen did a lot of work to it and it turned out much better.

The course was fun to ride, but count on rain to make it one of the ugliest races we have done in some time. Again if it wasn't for the riders digging the course would not have been what it's going to become!

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
ztlh13 said:
Sunday, Gerritt and the Morewood guys were digging, Herndon was digging and I finally staopped on my last run and filled in the creek crossing with some good sized rocks and the course is better. The nasty turn into the narrow drop up top is not very cool, rideable but not cool! Wet that will be a nightmare. The new entrance to the Dungeon is better and has two line around the tree. Matt and Ellen did a lot of work to it and it turned out much better.

The course was fun to ride, but count on rain to make it one of the ugliest races we have done in some time. Again if it wasn't for the riders digging the course would not have been what it's going to become!
I agree. Is there anyway to straighten the turn into the left hand drop you speak of? Swing it out wider for a more straight approach?

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
yes, but damn it would be a lot of work. It's completely covered in super thick brush crap. It could possible use some rock armor to form a little berm? There are a bunch of hidden little rocks that like to grab your tires and point you in wierd directions...

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Jerry Hayes had the best idea.
Just take a sledge hammer and destroy it.
That section is not gonna make it through the first day, and if it does, I am gonna set up a lemonade stand there during Expert practice.
Those guys are gonna get thirsty waiting in line.
I think this course will turn out well, if it stays fairly dry, but if the monsoons come, it is going to get brutal. I can see that stuff under the lift turning into an Alpine Ass slide.

ztlh13

Monkey
May 9, 2003
East Tennessee
I don't know what would be a good way to fix the turn, but a berm would help. Clipless was hard to get comfortable while it was dry.

The best thing is the absence of a slalom course. Not a pile of dirt or anything resembling progress! :mumble:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
ztlh13 said:
I don't know what would be a good way to fix the turn, but a berm would help. Clipless was hard to get comfortable while it was dry.

The best thing is the absence of a slalom course. Not a pile of dirt or anything resembling progress! :mumble:

With this short a period of time, I think a small berm would help, and maybe some BIG fill in rock where the drop is more of a staircase deal. That place needs Joey and his quickcrete.
Terry, I was on clips in the mud on Saturday, and I wasn't getting it.
I have actually ridden it before too.:nonono:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
You mean this rock drop:
http://squirrelly.shacknet.nu/galleries/sugar/P7100006.MOV

In my defense, we still needed to finish the turn before the drop but never got back up there. I told Eric it needed an entrance built up on the outside to allow you to straight line it.

I'll see what I can do the first day of practice. Maybe go back up on the lift after my practice and do some fill in/removal/etc?

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
dhbuilder said:
if i only had a ski lift.
Fack NORBA and their elitist need for a lift. Bootleg runs a very sucsessful race with 2 flat bed trucks. However timing is important. Getting the class of rider we want to Windrock will require it being close to another east coast event i.e. The Open or a Snowshoe race and a good payout.

What would be better...

A crappy course serviced by a crappy lift without a real payout or a race down Southern Rocks serviced by 2 flatbed trucks turning 4 runs an hour with a decent pro payout. :clue: Take the power back!

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
profro said:
Fack NORBA and their elitist need for a lift. Bootleg runs a very sucsessful race with 2 flat bed trucks. However timing is important. Getting the class of rider we want to Windrock will require it being close to another east coast event i.e. The Open or a Snowshoe race and a good payout.

What would be better...

A crappy course serviced by a crappy lift without a real payout or a race down Southern Rocks serviced by 2 flatbed trucks turning 4 runs an hour with a decent pro payout. :clue: Take the power back!
Ah come on Doug,
You know you are wanting to drive 17 hours to Vermont to ride from 8:00 to 10:00 am every day. And don't forget paying to park everday.:rofl:

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
doug.
i guarantee there's no lift in the country that'll give as fast a turnaround as you, terry and i were doin sunday.

i live for sessions like that. when the truck isn't shut off all day, and when all the talkin is done in the truck on the way back up.
and you jump out, slap the helmet on and go and go and go.

and none of that stopping at the waterfall b.s.

speed racer

Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
GA
Jeremy R said:
Terry, I was on clips in the mud on Saturday, and I wasn't getting it.
I have actually ridden it before too.:nonono:
this makes me feel much better. I wasn't able to hit it either. I'll be there on Friday and will be happy to help after practice as well. Let's do it.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
trailbuilding 101.

you have to have allow the trail to let you carry speed into and out of any tech section or jump.
oddball twists and turns right before a section like the one pictured above, just don't cut it.

momentum. never waste the speed that the trail has allowed you to gain.

gotta go now.
trying to get things ready for what hopefully will be a "mini national" next monday and tuesday.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
dhbuilder said:
trailbuilding 101.

you have to have allow the trail to let you carry speed into and out of any tech section or jump.
oddball twists and turns right before a section like the one pictured above, just don't cut it.......
well...if a certain rock troll had made his way down off his mighty mountain to help that day, I'm sure it would have been perfect....:clue:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
dhbuilder said:
doug.
i guarantee there's no lift in the country that'll give as fast a turnaround as you, terry and i were doin sunday.

i
Joey...before you say that you need to get thee hence to Diablo. Unless Doug bought a custom, one off Toyota Tundra hillclimb truck and there is racing fuel tank at the upper lot...you're not ever beating that lift!

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
bizutch said:
Joey...before you say that you need to get thee hence to Diablo. Unless Doug bought a custom, one off Toyota Tundra hillclimb truck and there is racing fuel tank at the upper lot...you're not ever beating that lift!
Yes he could! Joey woudl slap that lift up and make it cry for its pomalift of a mammy!

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
spoke80 said:
Yes he could! Joey woudl slap that lift up and make it cry for its pomalift of a mammy!
Have you ever seen it? While I agree that shuttling at Windrock is faster than most lifts, there is no way short of a baja prerunner or a rally car that you can beat the Diablo lift. It must go 30 mph straight up the hill. You would need to do 60+ on the windrock road.

All that said, when is the Windrock race so I can bring 25+ people for the 10 hour drive to it? I like the 3 run combined time idea.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
ChrisKring said:
All that said, when is the Windrock race so I can bring 25+ people for the 10 hour drive to it? I like the 3 run combined time idea.

Just one run needed.... Southern Rocks

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
all i gotta say is.
any of you that have ridden in devins trailer, knows what a fast run to the top is all about.

also back in the early days. terry had a toyota truck with a kayak rack on the roof.
you could stand up in the back, hang onto that rack, and it was a toss up what was more of a thrill. the truck ride up or the bike ride down. (a baja pre-runner it just about was.)

but for now i guess i'll just have to deal with only getting in four runs per hour with some damn good riding buddies way out here in the middle of nowhere.

bummer.

Taz

Monkey
Sep 22, 2001
Granite, lots of granite
bizutch said:
I have to agree. That lift scared the crap out of me the first time we got on it. At the top I thought were were going to hit the guy in front of us. That thing is friggin fast. It's 5 minutes or less, guarenteed. Moves so fast you have a breeze when the air is stagnant.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
ChrisKring said:
Have you ever seen it? While I agree that shuttling at Windrock is faster than most lifts, there is no way short of a baja prerunner or a rally car that you can beat the Diablo lift. It must go 30 mph straight up the hill. You would need to do 60+ on the windrock road.

No, I haven't seen it and no I also don't really believe that Joey can beat up a skilift.:rolleyes:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
spoke80 said:
And now you really understand how slow Sugar's lift is.:clue:
shoot...that thing makes Snowshoe's and Vermont's high speed quads seem like turtles. What it is...you just pop your bike on the back wheel and roll in. 3 people with bikes per gondola and they never have to stop it. The line was 50 yards long a few times and you got to the lift in no time. None of the cars are wasted with carrying bikes only or guys having to load them for you. Just wheel your bike in with you. I mean, it takes 5 chairs to transport 4 riders on the 1st and then 4 separate bikes on the next 4 chairs at Snowshoe. I ain't complaining about Snowshoe's lifts either. I NEVER have to wait to get on there. It's just Diablo is instant on/off and the speed is just silly.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
but you have to go to new jersey. no thanks.

but back to the subject.

bizutch said:
well...if a certain rock troll had made his way down off his mighty mountain to help that day, I'm sure it would have been perfect....:clue:
i got the distinct impression from all your posts about the project, that they didn't want you or anyone else's input or help.
and if there was a "experienced riders" work day, nobody ever got ahold of me to let me know.

i'm not sure i would have been much use anyway. there's a big difference between designing and building trails from scratch and coming in and modifying someone elses trail that you've never ridden before.
it sounds like some of that trail needs a major re-route. into the rockdrop for instance. and would they have been willing to listen to a stranger come in and tell them how to build on their mt ?(i know i wouldn't take that very well.)
obviously not, or else chris, gerrit, matt,ellen and jeremy etc... wouldn't be up there desperately making changes at the last minute,
to make this event a success.

i hope this all comes off successfully. the weather looks like it's going to co-operate.
and after the foolish locations of westcoast events this year, i'm hoping everyone has a good time that comes east to race.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
dhbuilder said:
but you have to go to new jersey. no thanks.

but back to the subject..
worth every hour...:love:

dhbuilder said:
i got the distinct impression from all your posts about the project, that they didn't want you or anyone else's input or help.
and if there was a "experienced riders" work day, nobody ever got ahold of me to let me know...
Oh yeah we did. We let you, Terry, Ben and Doug know. Doug was nice enough to show up and guinea pig it. I got ZERO issues with you guys not helping. I burn a hole in Windrock and my life hasn't allowed me to move a single rock (excluding ones that move out of my way).

dhbuilder said:
i'm not sure i would have been much use anyway. there's a big difference between designing and building trails from scratch and coming in and modifying someone elses trail that you've never ridden before.

it sounds like some of that trail needs a major re-route. into the rockdrop for instance. and would they have been willing to listen to a stranger come in and tell them how to build on their mt ?(i know i wouldn't take that very well.)
obviously not, or else chris, gerrit, matt,ellen and jeremy etc... wouldn't be up there desperately making changes at the last minute,
to make this event a success.
It's an odd situation. I approached Kim as to why they didn't have more trails 2 years ago. She said it had more to do with no one on current staff knowing what to do and she'd love it if people wanted to make some new DH stuff, that no one had ever officially offered that they trusted, except Donovan, who was buried in work. I offered to cut some stuff, gave her a drawing of the intended route. She OK'ed it with the big wigs. We went up and cut the everything from the top down to D.D. We rode it a few times and it still needed work, which of course is expected. The owners saw the stuff and FREAKED. They were terrified and shut it all down. (That is just b/c they haven't seen the sport's evolution..that has changed).

But then they got the National. So they asked Donovan to come up and look around. He took one look at what we cut and explained the ability and equipment were good to go.

They now have a guy who works his tail off on trails so they sent him to head up the completion after some recommendations from Donovan.

I don't see why everyone is bitching to be honest. That course is way better suited to a National level competition now. A guy who knows nothing about DH did EVERYTHING I asked him to do to help finish out the course.

I asked him to straighten the exit to the top drop. Doug knows what a bitch it was before. The guy and his people spent over 3 hours up there trying to get that thing cleaned up and straightened. They're not riders and they DID offer for riders to come up, ride it in and give help. Everyone that made a recommendation to him...he DID exactly what we all asked.

He straightened the entrance to Lizards, which Terry has armored and made better.
He FIXED the #1 issue on the whole mountain, the climb out of Lizards!! And he made it easy to do! A straight shot.

I asked him to ramp up an exit to the boulder drop. He DID!
I asked him to fill in the holes at the entry to what they named "The cave" up top. He DID!
I asked him to dump some gravel down the new entrance to DD. He DID!
I asked him to incorporate a little hip down near the bottom of the course. He DID!

The guy has busted his ass for over a month. Riders did what they always do. They filled in the unrideable stuff in the upper part of DD. Built a hip across some drop gap I haven't seen. The armored the entry to Lizards to keep up speed. A couple hours rider labor (in between runs at that) on a Sat. /Sun afternoon the weekend before a race is NOT much in the way of finish work if you ask me.

Anybody that wants to whine about that course should go and have to ride that course at Snowshoe from 2 seasons ago in the flat, 2 inch deep moss and all that blown out useless crap that everyone hated.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
sounds like the guy deserves an a+ for effort. i really do hope this is the begining of that place coming of age with the sports progression.

heck, even windrock didn't start out with a bang. it's been six years in the making.

hard steady work and patience will pay him back eventually.

if they're ever in need of a little guideance in the future, getting in touch with some of us on an individual basis will work out better.
because i honestly didn't know about the work days.

as much crap as we put up with here on this forum, it might be in donovans best interest to register and listen and learn who he could benefit from. and p.m. accordingly. just a thought.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
dhbuilder said:
as much crap as we put up with here on this forum, it might be in donovans best interest to register and listen and learn who he could benefit from. and p.m. accordingly. just a thought.
Donovan works at Alpine Ski Center and he and some friends laid out the AMBC course using a tiller and stuff years back and used to work for Sugar. The guy doing all the work up there is named Eric Schmidinger.

Erich and Donovan both don't bother with email....they're jobs in the ski industry are ass over tea kettle.

ztlh13

Monkey
May 9, 2003
East Tennessee
The course is fun to ride and technical. The drop up top is only difficult b/c clipless riders will unclip to make the turn fast and then get lucky or drop with the left foot still unclipped. Compared to the Yard Sale at Vermont the drop is silly! The course is still one that you can practice complete runs without difficulty and most of the pedalling is near the bottom. I did not talk about it but the table at the finish needs a new backside that isn't so steep. The first time I jumped it I rear wheel cased and almost ended on my head. The weather looks like it might hold out and if it does this will be one of the best national courses I have ever ran. Okay I am through ranting. See ya there thursday, Friday, Sat and Sun!!

Taz

Monkey
Sep 22, 2001
Granite, lots of granite
DHracer1067 said:
the picture in the quote makes the drop look 10x easier than the picture of that guy actually dropping it.
It is an easy drop to me. I have yet to remove my feet from my clips to make the turn and ride off of it. That's me in the photo...