Quantcast

Allez Radio Shack!

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
interesting

Radioshack person said:
RadioShack indicated that Armstrong will also compete for the team in sporting events outside of cycling. "Beginning in 2010, Lance Armstrong will compete for Team RadioShack as a cyclist, runner and triathlete in events around the world, including the 2010 Tour de France," it said.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
All radio shack sells anymore is cell phones and batteries.
I don't have a source for this, but I think I remember reading somewhere that Radio Shacks are all over the world, and is a much stronger global brand than it is in the US.

I think...maybe.

I wish Amgen would have stepped up with the balls to sponsor a team instead of just a race...that would be fitting.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
People who exploit cancer for profit, and people who sell useless, disposable consumer electronics deserve each other. Fire is a purifying force in nature. Hopefully it can be a purifying force in cycling.
Yeah...pretty sure he got testicular cancer and had a nut removed and suffered through countless amounts of treatments so he could exploit the disease.

I'm far from a Lance fan really, but I'm damned sure a bigger fan of his than yours. :think:

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Yeah...pretty sure he got testicular cancer and had a nut removed and suffered through countless amounts of treatments so he could exploit the disease.

I'm far from a Lance fan really, but I'm damned sure a bigger fan of his than yours. :think:

That's fine by me. If Armstrong gave a damn about Cancer, he wouldn't be rolling around in private jet's and exploiting not just the suffering of cancer patients, but the beautiful sport of cycling to raise money for his gigantic corporate sponsors at Amgen, SKB, et. al.

LAF is a boldfaced and ballsy money laundering operation. If you beleive otherwise you've been duped.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
That's fine by me. If Armstrong gave a damn about Cancer, he wouldn't be rolling around in private jet's and exploiting not just the suffering of cancer patients, but the beautiful sport of cycling to raise money for his gigantic corporate sponsors at Amgen, SKB, et. al.

LAF is a boldfaced and ballsy money laundering operation. If you beleive otherwise you've been duped.
Wow, the more you talk the less respect I have for you...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I don't know where the line of demarcation is but portions of the Livestrong brand is a FOR profit organization. Don't know what is done with the profit but it does raise questions about using the name of a charitable question organization to make money. Maybe Lance just likes paying taxes.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
The beautiful sport of cycling?

Pro cycling is almost as dirty as boxing. There's nothing pure about it...

gonefirefightin

free wieners

first of all, what have you done personally to advance the science or technology studies to fight any disease or illness, how many functions for the livestrong foundation have you been a part of?

let me guess, you bought a 3 dollar yellow wristband?

stop by the nearest cancer center in your area and tell me how many pieces of equipment have the livestrong logo on them, talk to the patients and tell me how many people have benefited from the livestrong foundation.

The guy is a national icon/sports celebrity, of course he will be in private jets, people will do what ever it takes to keep him happy because his story/empire has become worldwide and companies will do whatever it takes to have his brand on thier side.

your ignorance is astounding.........like him or not, he has done more for the sport of cycling that may rival the old greats, and his contributions have benefitted more people than you would care to read through.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF

What is your damn problem?

I'm not kidding, either.

The guy is a professional athlete, one of the best ever. He also made a comeback from cancer.

Here are the financial statements of LAF: http://www.livestrong.org/site/c.khLXK1PxHmF/b.2662367/k.5D4A/Financial_Information.htm

According to them, 80% of their money goes to cancer. In comparison, Dan Pallotta's foundation gave less than 20% to AIDS research (as opposed to their promised 65%), and now he is a pariah.

I am not one of Lance's biggest fans, but unless you have something relevant or provable, you just best STFU.

Last edited:

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Where has all of this comeback web traffic been directed? The for-profit Livestrong.com-- Not the LAF administrated .org

How much money does Armstrong personally take in from his PERSONAL corporate sponsors? What does he do with it? No one, not even some spoiled texas-meat bag full of repugnance needs as much money as he wastes every day.

Hundreds of thousands of people survive cancer every year. Each one of them is as much, if not more of a hero than Armstrong. As are all the dead. All who struggle against interminable odds deserve respect. Armstrong, Nike, et. al exploit the public's vulnerability about the big C to reap big profits.

Who doesn't support cancer research?
Well, Armstrong for one. His Support (and his support is much needed and much appreciated) oes to Survivorship programs and awareness programs, not research) Armstrong's well connected friends at the Republican party (check campaign records, He's a Bush II donor) are most defintely friends of cancer, in so much as they actively work against any and all sorts of controls on big pharma, or health promotion issues tied to social justice. Armstrong donates personally to Canidates who are against stem cell research, Healthcare, women's reproductive health, and bevy of other important health issues which they either deem un-profitable or immoral.

Armstrong takes in Millions of dollars, personally every year (not LAF) from big Pharma as a spokesperson, yet his highly visible no profit only supports Survivorship, not much needed research? Both are important. Only one cures cancer.

In the most recent statements available, of a 35 million dollar annual expenditure, 9.8 million went to Survivorship advocacy, 4.4 million dollars went to executive salaries, and the other 20 million dollars are alloted across many accounts that are quite simply, squishy in their nature and definition... Like a $1.78 million alloted to "contract services, cancellations and adjustments" Nearly $2million is a lot of money to lose through poor management. Especially from an executive staff that is paid $4.4million a year, one of the highest paid executive staff's in the country.

Besides lending his name to Lajors, and funding the Livestrong development team this year, Armstrong has directly done diddly for US cycling, besides making the middle American herds interested in watching the Tour De France 8 times. He's sold a few more road bikes, perhaps, but the upswing in road sales more directly correlates with demographic shifts and saturation away from MTB's. At most he was good, by most estimates, for a 15% increase in bike sales, which, an appreciable (and appreciated) number, does not make him some sort of unassailable god, and does nothing to accomplish the real goal the bike industry needs, which are fundamental lifestlye shifts in American Consumers and move toward more livable communities. Goals which would support public health, and by correlation, a reduction in cancer.

Why are there record low Jr Fields at road races?
I promoted the Mass State road Championship today. We had a total of 4 Juniors across 446 riders. LAJORS was a failure on a massive scale, and lipservice to Jr Development, which starts and happens on a club level, not from the top down. In the Mid 90's the USCF and USAC were too busy making money off of Lance and Co (and awarding preferential coaching, promotional and developmental contracts to Tom Schuler/ Heartland Corporation/7-eleven connected individuals like Chris Charmichael) to care about local clubs and regional organisations.
Youth obesity is a leading risk factor for almost every type of cancer... LAF is Presidental hopefull Lance's equivalent of the President's Council on Physical Fitness. His record for direct personal expenditures on cycling advocacy is abysmal. The records of the people who rode his coattails (and mind you, these are the same people, the "7-11 Mafia" who have always run USAC) on cycling development are just as poor.

Armstrong's legacy in cycling is now, and will always be one of destroying carers, pushing down and buying out anyone who dares to challenge him, strongarm tactics, negative racing, and most fundamentally (and destructively) a victory of money over sport. Besides San Sebastian and Norway he has won no appreciable single-day race of merit against a strong field. His victorys, in the Dauphine, C.I. and Midi Libre were all bought and paid for by his enormously, embarrassingly high-budget TDF specific teams. Yes, he is strong, he is fit, but one dude doesn't win a stage race. He won Gp int's and Crit. Eddy Mercxx a few times (should check that I suppose), but those are simple one man time trials, the cycling equivalent of a contest to see who can slam their sex organ in the freezer door the most times.

When you structure an entire team just around winning one race, not only do you create a booring, lame duck team that erodes the quality of the rest of the calender, you also give riders schedules and contracts that stifle their abilities and interests. The fear of pissing Armstrong and his handlers off, pre-retirement, was one of the largest motivating factors in the destruction not just in the careers of riders (Marty Jemison being the simplest example).

His goals, pure and simple, are the accumulation of as much power and prestige as possible in the US media marketplace, and an overall gain in mindshare, and traction as he prepares to launch whatever brand driven power grab his personality-politics team has next devised for him.

He's a Manchurian Candidate. That's not a tinfoil hat assertion either.
His political team, and his legal staff has shared advisers in the past with the Bush people, and Armstrong and W are documented fast friends... If that alone isn't enough to raise suspicions in an intelligent person's mind, I don't know what is.

Armstrong is dangerous. His people and the way he is marketed represent a very real, and very anti-rational mindset of hero worship and unquestioning belief. This is not my vision of America, and I will piss off as many people inside and outside of the cycling industry as I need to exercise my freedom of expression.

As an object of scorn and derision as a cyclist, the case against Armstrong is air-tight. He's the ugly American destroying a beautiful sport.

As a politician, I understand that people have alliances and beliefs that at times can be driven by the heart and emotions, but please, at least question the how's and why's of all of this.

I say to all of you, how many friends and family members have you lost to cancer? Many, too many to count in my case. Armstrong's Smarm and Self-Serving grabs for power and money cut me to the quick. Every time he opens his slime-hole he dishonors my dead friends.

We all know hero's. Know them. Don't worship them.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
There's too much stupidity for me to respond to it all, but I'll say that I lost my mom to cancer. I also appreciate she lived for 20 years after her first bout with breast cancer.

To your points about junior racing, you seem greatly more smug than Armstrong. Perhaps team leaders such as yourself keep kids from racing. Can't say that for sure, but your delusions and magnificent skepticism would keep me from ever wanting to race around you.

In one single thread I think you jumped to the most obsessed by one idea, batsh*t crazy member ever. Tinfoil hat hell, you couldn't escape in a star ship from your crazy ass ideas. :crazy:

Again, I don't really care for Lance, but what have you done yourself for cancer research or advocacy???

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Rabid Lance fans will breed rabid Lance haters.

A lance fan boy I know was fuming that Contador must be doping. I mentioned that the only difference between what AC has done is no different than what Lance did 7 years ago except for Lance destroyed a long list of known dopers. Fan boy replied that the difference is that AC is just too arrogant to be clean. :rofl:

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Loco,
Assailing my assertions , or calling me crazy does nothing to prove your point, or move forward any sort of discourse.

The only person I spew venom toward is one who very prominently, and very purposely puts himself in the public eye, and has a very, very shady track record, and numerous dark agendas which if exposed, would destroy him. That's called criticism...

You attack me personally in an attempt to discredit me- and that's called arguing. Arguing accomplishes nothing and just creates unproductive tension. Arguing without using any facts is even less productive. Yes, I am often inflammatory with my critique. It is supposed to arouse your ire, and promote critical thinking. If you are old enough to use a keyboard, you are also old enough to exercise logic and sustain an adult and reasoned discourse.

If you'd like to receive full documentation of the money I personally spend on bicycle racing, my background in cycling development, or my first-person experiences with hospice, adaptive technology development or 1st grade birthday parties with my friends with Leukemia... Have at it. Send me Self Addressed Stamped Envelope and I'll send some personal and corporate tax returns of my bussiness and the non-profits I have worked for, family photos, yearbooks, obit's, personal correspondence, etc... I doubt you want that, right? Was that a rhetorical device? Gold star! You've successfully diverted attention away from things that make you question your beliefs in an attempt to change the subject. You want the info? You want me to waste vast hours assembling it for your approval? That accomplishes what? The 45 minutes I have spent on these last 2 posts already takes away from valuable time I could spend saving harp seals and preventing circumcisions...

That makes you part of the problem. I, like I hope most people who give a sh!t, do everything I can, and in many cases, much more than I responsibly should to support both the things and the people that I love. It's called being a real human. I bet you do it too! If you don't, well your life and mine are different, and likely our life experiences differ as well...

Change starts at the grassroots. Be it in sport, or in advocacy. Celebrities, especially ones who front inefficient self-aggrandizing charities aren't going to save the world, or save Sport. They are just going to make themselves and those around them rich, and those associated with them feel special.

Don't let words scare you into a hole...

Last edited:

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
What I don't like about you Suspect is your holier than thou attitude. It just seems like no one is hardcore enough for you...not those of us that race amateur or pro for fun, or a dude that wins the Tour. The craziest part is that you come on here and spew this crap and make your company look bad...thats just bad business. I don't look at your bikes the same way because of the stuff you say

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
I like Lance. Don't know if it's the Austin/ Richardson/ Plano thing; whether it's because a friend of mine raced with him, went to school with him, and was taught by his mom; whether it's because in my eyes he is one of the true American heros; whether it's because he just about lost everything and came back to tear **** up...

I don't know, but damn. I would like to shake his hand.

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
Where has all of this comeback web traffic been directed? The for-profit Livestrong.com-- Not the LAF administrated .org

How much money does Armstrong personally take in from his PERSONAL corporate sponsors? What does he do with it? No one, not even some spoiled texas-meat bag full of repugnance needs as much money as he wastes every day.

Hundreds of thousands of people survive cancer every year. Each one of them is as much, if not more of a hero than Armstrong. As are all the dead. All who struggle against interminable odds deserve respect. Armstrong, Nike, et. al exploit the public's vulnerability about the big C to reap big profits.

Who doesn't support cancer research?
Well, Armstrong for one. His Support (and his support is much needed and much appreciated) oes to Survivorship programs and awareness programs, not research) Armstrong's well connected friends at the Republican party (check campaign records, He's a Bush II donor) are most defintely friends of cancer, in so much as they actively work against any and all sorts of controls on big pharma, or health promotion issues tied to social justice. Armstrong donates personally to Canidates who are against stem cell research, Healthcare, women's reproductive health, and bevy of other important health issues which they either deem un-profitable or immoral.

Armstrong takes in Millions of dollars, personally every year (not LAF) from big Pharma as a spokesperson, yet his highly visible no profit only supports Survivorship, not much needed research? Both are important. Only one cures cancer.

In the most recent statements available, of a 35 million dollar annual expenditure, 9.8 million went to Survivorship advocacy, 4.4 million dollars went to executive salaries, and the other 20 million dollars are alloted across many accounts that are quite simply, squishy in their nature and definition... Like a $1.78 million alloted to "contract services, cancellations and adjustments" Nearly $2million is a lot of money to lose through poor management. Especially from an executive staff that is paid $4.4million a year, one of the highest paid executive staff's in the country.

Besides lending his name to Lajors, and funding the Livestrong development team this year, Armstrong has directly done diddly for US cycling, besides making the middle American herds interested in watching the Tour De France 8 times. He's sold a few more road bikes, perhaps, but the upswing in road sales more directly correlates with demographic shifts and saturation away from MTB's. At most he was good, by most estimates, for a 15% increase in bike sales, which, an appreciable (and appreciated) number, does not make him some sort of unassailable god, and does nothing to accomplish the real goal the bike industry needs, which are fundamental lifestlye shifts in American Consumers and move toward more livable communities. Goals which would support public health, and by correlation, a reduction in cancer.

Why are there record low Jr Fields at road races?
I promoted the Mass State road Championship today. We had a total of 4 Juniors across 446 riders. LAJORS was a failure on a massive scale, and lipservice to Jr Development, which starts and happens on a club level, not from the top down. In the Mid 90's the USCF and USAC were too busy making money off of Lance and Co (and awarding preferential coaching, promotional and developmental contracts to Tom Schuler/ Heartland Corporation/7-eleven connected individuals like Chris Charmichael) to care about local clubs and regional organisations.
Youth obesity is a leading risk factor for almost every type of cancer... LAF is Presidental hopefull Lance's equivalent of the President's Council on Physical Fitness. His record for direct personal expenditures on cycling advocacy is abysmal. The records of the people who rode his coattails (and mind you, these are the same people, the "7-11 Mafia" who have always run USAC) on cycling development are just as poor.

Armstrong's legacy in cycling is now, and will always be one of destroying carers, pushing down and buying out anyone who dares to challenge him, strongarm tactics, negative racing, and most fundamentally (and destructively) a victory of money over sport. Besides San Sebastian and Norway he has won no appreciable single-day race of merit against a strong field. His victorys, in the Dauphine, C.I. and Midi Libre were all bought and paid for by his enormously, embarrassingly high-budget TDF specific teams. Yes, he is strong, he is fit, but one dude doesn't win a stage race. He won Gp int's and Crit. Eddy Mercxx a few times (should check that I suppose), but those are simple one man time trials, the cycling equivalent of a contest to see who can slam their sex organ in the freezer door the most times.

When you structure an entire team just around winning one race, not only do you create a booring, lame duck team that erodes the quality of the rest of the calender, you also give riders schedules and contracts that stifle their abilities and interests. The fear of pissing Armstrong and his handlers off, pre-retirement, was one of the largest motivating factors in the destruction not just in the careers of riders (Marty Jemison being the simplest example).

His goals, pure and simple, are the accumulation of as much power and prestige as possible in the US media marketplace, and an overall gain in mindshare, and traction as he prepares to launch whatever brand driven power grab his personality-politics team has next devised for him.

He's a Manchurian Candidate. That's not a tinfoil hat assertion either.
His political team, and his legal staff has shared advisers in the past with the Bush people, and Armstrong and W are documented fast friends... If that alone isn't enough to raise suspicions in an intelligent person's mind, I don't know what is.

Armstrong is dangerous. His people and the way he is marketed represent a very real, and very anti-rational mindset of hero worship and unquestioning belief. This is not my vision of America, and I will piss off as many people inside and outside of the cycling industry as I need to exercise my freedom of expression.

As an object of scorn and derision as a cyclist, the case against Armstrong is air-tight. He's the ugly American destroying a beautiful sport.

As a politician, I understand that people have alliances and beliefs that at times can be driven by the heart and emotions, but please, at least question the how's and why's of all of this.

I say to all of you, how many friends and family members have you lost to cancer? Many, too many to count in my case. Armstrong's Smarm and Self-Serving grabs for power and money cut me to the quick. Every time he opens his slime-hole he dishonors my dead friends.

We all know hero's. Know them. Don't worship them.
Great post.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Interesting - I know to little about road racing to comment but I kind of have a feeling that most of the pro teams are similar in their approach well except the fake cancer foundation?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
SuspectDevice:

I read your piece. My initial reaction is your sheer paranoia, but you do make some points which are worthy of discussion:

1. Association with George Bush. As a lifelong Democrat living in San Francisco, so what he is buddies with Bush? It could be as innocent as they are both Texans.

However, even if he was a fundamentalist, that's his business, and how he donates his personal fortune is also his own business.

2. How LAF's money is spent. You mention $1.78 million going to waste. Could you explain to me what does "contract services, cancellations and adjustments" exactly mean? Could you compare it with several other large charities?

And I love the "Only one cures cancer" comment. What do you think, they are spending millions on yellow wristbands and wigs?

3. Lance's effect on USACycling. I actually agree with some of this, although why don't you blame Thomas Weisel, who could buy and sell Lance 5 times over?

4. Lance's effect on bike racing. That's just sour grapes dude, seriously. Why don't you call sports radio and complain. And again, I agree with some of this, but this is not a criticism of his foundation.

5. Lance's cult of personality. Jordan, Tiger, and Lance all suffer from the same issue, being the greatest ever but what do you do with that power. The first two have made some token efforts but ultimately, it is their business. Lance has done more than both of them combined.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Arguing without using any facts is even less productive.

And I appreciate your long initial rant being so well documented. Thank you, oh thank you for getting me to see the light.

How come all crazy people think they're 'just tellin it like it is' and if a bunch of off the cuff ramblings annoy people then it's just because they're close minded?

It's almost universal.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Former Olympic cycling medallist Stephen Woolridge believes that Cadel Evans will join Rupert Murdoch’s new United Kingdom based Sky team instead of Lance Armstrong’s RadioShack for next years Tour de France.

Woolridge told BigPond Sports Weekend, “I’d be very surprised if he ended up riding with Lance. Rumour has it that the new Rupert Murdoch Sky Team coming out of the United Kingdom really wants Cadel and I think he would be their top guy for the tours.”

“Van den Broek one of Cadel’s teammates finished well and truly ahead of him in tenth place on the Tour so he was really shown to be the team leader at the end of the tour. Cadel has dropped down and although he still wants to be a team leader so he will have to go somewhere else.”

On the prospect of other Australian riders joining Armstrong at RadioShack next year Woolridge said, “He has a high respect for the Australian riders and Lance will build a team around Lance. He will go there next year really wanting to win the tour and he has got some young Australians that he has his eye on; Matthew Lloyd, Jack Bobridge and Cameron Meyer who are all under contract for another year or two.”

Although under contract Woolridge added, “There are guys there that Lance wants and he will go hard to get them…at the end of the day if there is enough money involved and guys really want to go somewhere else I’m sure it could be arranged.”

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Their first big mistake...
......maybe it is a stop gap til they can bring Wiggins on the team. Not sure how long he is tied to Garmin. Either way, don't bring Evans in a pollute the culture, especially on a new team.

Wonder who is running Sky...?....if they sign Evans fire that guy....:butcher:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The big problem with Team Radio Shack is it is a team built around a 37 year old who is going to ride for one more season. Come 2011 they will have a bunch of aging support riders with no main man. Yeah Levi and Kloden are good but they aren't getting any younger. The team could end up like the second year of Discovery. A team built for the tour with no tour contender.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
The big problem with Team Radio Shack is it is a team built around a 37 year old who is going to ride for one more season. Come 2011 they will have a bunch of aging support riders with no main man.
Is this true....?.......did LA specifically say one more year...

To me it seemed to be a media assumption that is just being repeated.....

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The big problem with Team Radio Shack is it is a team built around a 37 year old who is going to ride for one more season. Come 2011 they will have a bunch of aging support riders with no main man. Yeah Levi and Kloden are good but they aren't getting any younger. The team could end up like the second year of Discovery. A team built for the tour with no tour contender.
I think it is necessary to have an US team built around Lance Armstrong.

He is the most popular and successful rider in the world, and considering team sponsorship is an advertising venture, it makes business sense.

However, Bruyneel is very good at finding the next big thing. Don't forget besides Contador, he also had Tom Boonen as a neo-pro.

Obviously, he blew it with Contador (and with Boonen by choosing Hincapie as the Classics leader), but I have to imagine he can find another great rider to supplant Armstrong.