Quantcast

'Allo 'Allo!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Where to, guvnor?
Under the ban, sent to Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer by the state legislature Thursday, schools will lose state funding if they offer any courses that "promote the overthrow of the U.S. government, promote resentment of a particular race or class of people, are designed primarily for students of a particular ethnic group or advocate ethnic solidarity instead of the treatment of pupils as individuals."

As ThinkProgress notes, the Tucson Unified School District's popular Mexican-American studies department is the target here. The state superintendent charges that the program exhibits "ethnic chauvinism."

Meanwhile, in a move that was more covert until the Wall Street Journal uncovered it, the Arizona Department of Education has told schools that teachers with "heavy" or "ungrammatical" accents are no longer allowed to teach English classes.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/30/arizona-ethnic-studies-cl_n_558731.html

ME SO RONREY!

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
If you can't speak it, how can you teach it?

But that bit about "promote the overthrow of the U.S. government" is a bit worrisome.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

But that bit about "promote the overthrow of the U.S. government" is a bit worrisome.
Who is going to be doing the judging? Redneck hicks? You betcha!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

My french teacher in high school had this really strong accent and half the time bitch didn't even speak English.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF

The question is not "Can you speak English?", but making a determination about accents.

I am certainly fine with a literacy test for English teachers. But what happens if the guy has an British/Indian/Hong Kong accent?

What if he learned English in Germany or Brazil?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The question is not "Can you speak English?", but making a determination about accents.

I am certainly fine with a literacy test for English teachers. But what happens if the guy has an British/Indian/Hong Kong accent?

What if he learned English in Germany or Brazil?
Even worse, what if they were from Baltimore or Fargo?

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Even worse, what if they were from Baltimore or Fargo?
Or Arizona. Those redneck hicks can barely speak without a southern inflection. Can you imagine an urban school district firing a southern teacher because he/she had a southern draaaaaaaawl?

edit: PS - Thanks GOP for bringing up an issue to rally the Democratic base. Things were looking a little grim there for a while.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA

They threw that in there so politicians opposing the measure can get nailed for "promoting the overthrow of the US government." Typical political bull****.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
so will teachers have to first get a broadcasting degree to drop regional accents?

personally, i'd like it if my accounting instructor had a jewey accent, dif eq instructor an asian accent, eugenics instructor a german accent, & aerobics instructor a richard simmons accent

that way i know i'm getting quality products

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
so will teachers have to first get a broadcasting degree to drop regional accents?

personally, i'd like it if my accounting instructor had a jewey accent, dif eq instructor an asian accent, eugenics instructor a german accent, & aerobics instructor a richard simmons accent

that way i know i'm getting quality products
I'd want a theology prof to have a good slack jawed drawl.