Quantcast

Alloy trail bike alternatives with 150mm F/140mm R?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Wife currently rides a large Turner Flux that's a few years old, 130F/120R travel. We're looking for a suitable frame that we can move her entire drivetrain and fork over to, so it needs 142mm rear dropouts and I already have a spare 150mm air shaft for her Pike.

I've been looking for a Turner Burner frame, but wondered what other suggestions were out there as suitable upgrades to give a little more help on the downhills without giving up to much on the climbs.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Transition Scout? Trek Remedy? SC Bronson?

her Flux is a fairly steep, xc-ish frame. I'd think a slightly slacker geometry would help as much as a bit more travel.

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
what size wheels?
27.5"

I'd looked at the Spitty as a contender, need to look at the Canfield. Can't remember why I might have dropped the Scout from my possibles.

I'm not fixed on the same travel as my Burner if we get her something different. But not looking for a "mini DH" bike either.

Flux specs show 68 deg HA versus 67 on my Burner.

Edit: ideally able to carry a bottle in the frame too.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
27.5"

I'd looked at the Spitty as a contender, need to look at the Canfield. Can't remember why I might have dropped the Scout from my possibles.

I'm not fixed on the same travel as my Burner if we get her something different. But not looking for a "mini DH" bike either.

there are some options from GG that may be suitable, but you'd have to look used for something with a 142 rear end.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
27.5"

Flux specs show 68 deg HA versus 67 on my Burner.

I'm a Rocky fanboi, but a used Thunderbolt might fit the bill (120mm rear) ..or an altitude if you/she can handle 150/150. Adjustable HTA and geometry.

http://www.bikes.com/en/bikes/altitude/2015

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I think the problem with the Scout is she's right between sizes M and L being 5'11".

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Have you thought of a Commecal Meta V4? I have borrowed a friends' one a couple of times and compared to my Rallon feels a lot moar lighter, sprinty and poppy. Roomy cockpit also. I know we're talking of 150mm here, but the extra travel doesn't really make the bike fell any slower.

EDIT: The Meta TR lowers the travel to 130mm. That might do it for you.

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Aren't the new Scouts boost? And the "old" aluminum ones have tendency to crack on the chain stay, due to its weird profile.

I'd put a vote in for the Spitfire. Very capable bike and although mine cracked, that thing got punished. Lots of options for the frame dropouts too, so if you get stuck with a 142 hub or boost, it really doesn't matter as they can all be changed.

One downside is no water bottle mounts; but lets face it, you guys go on epics for every ride so is that even needed assuming you have a camelback? :busted:

Devinci has some cool bikes too, but I assume most or if not all are all boost... http://www.devinci.com/bikes/scategory_212

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
re-dishing and spacing the rotor is an easy fix to teh boost problem.

there is no reason for any modern frame to not have at least one bottle mount.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Did a straight swap, her Flux frame for someone else's Burner frame.

First ride today and she's stoked on it.

Last edited: