Quantcast

allright ladies, some help needed!

fattyfat1

Monkey
Mar 22, 2005
Kelso, WA
so, i'm trying to get my wife back into riding. heres a little history.... we have both been riding mtb since 89'. allways together. trips to moab, colorado, and all over WA and OR. four years ago we both got full suspension. 3 years ago we decided to have kids. she sold her bike because she knew she wouldn't be riding for awhile and by that time i had 5 bikes so if she ever felt the need she could ride one of those. then comes child #2. i race downhill and have progressed in speed, jumping and freeriding to a point where it intimidates her to ride w/me and buds. its been 4 years since she's been on a bike. in order for her to ride, i would have to watch the kids and when i go riding she watches them.(i do all the riding). i really want us to ride together again! it is such a great way to spend time w/your spouse, and we don't get much of that anymore! (2 boys- 3yrs. & 1 1/2yrs). i just bought her a giant reign for x-mas so she has a bike that fits her, is not one of mine, and most importantly, it's HER bike! geting her to ride it may be somewhat challenging though. a racing buddy of mine has a wife that races pro downhill, and of course my wife is intimidated by that also. she feels like when she rides w/ all of us, she will be holding us back, which is not the case. she is a skilled rider, we all just continued to ride while she had 4 yrs. out of the saddle. i xc ride w/ a bunch of lance armstrongs, my xc bike is a stinky and i weigh 230, think i'm ever in front? never! but no one cares cause its about fun, right? i push up all the hills, then after everyone catches their breath(me), i smoke em on the way down! now, back to my buddies wife who races, she just found out she is pregnant! this is good because it will limit her to tame xc trails,( her doc. says ok to ride as long as theres no crashing, and heart rate above 120). in other words it will really slow her down. i can't wait to see her have the chance to go riding w/ a friend! where i need advice is her level of enthusiasm. i want so bad for her to be jazzed about riding again but she's not. obviously you can't make someone want to mtb, but i need help making it fun for her so we can ride together again. she's got kick ass gear, a supportive hubby and riding group. could it be that she has outgrown this wonderful sport? help! Trev

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
fattyfat1 said:
so, i'm trying to get my wife back into riding. heres a little history.... we have both been riding mtb since 89'. allways together. trips to moab, colorado, and all over WA and OR. four years ago we both got full suspension. 3 years ago we decided to have kids. she sold her bike because she knew she wouldn't be riding for awhile and by that time i had 5 bikes so if she ever felt the need she could ride one of those. then comes child #2. i race downhill and have progressed in speed, jumping and freeriding to a point where it intimidates her to ride w/me and buds. its been 4 years since she's been on a bike. in order for her to ride, i would have to watch the kids and when i go riding she watches them.(i do all the riding). i really want us to ride together again! it is such a great way to spend time w/your spouse, and we don't get much of that anymore! (2 boys- 3yrs. & 1 1/2yrs). i just bought her a giant reign for x-mas so she has a bike that fits her, is not one of mine, and most importantly, it's HER bike! geting her to ride it may be somewhat challenging though. a racing buddy of mine has a wife that races pro downhill, and of course my wife is intimidated by that also. she feels like when she rides w/ all of us, she will be holding us back, which is not the case. she is a skilled rider, we all just continued to ride while she had 4 yrs. out of the saddle. i xc ride w/ a bunch of lance armstrongs, my xc bike is a stinky and i weigh 230, think i'm ever in front? never! but no one cares cause its about fun, right? i push up all the hills, then after everyone catches their breath(me), i smoke em on the way down! now, back to my buddies wife who races, she just found out she is pregnant! this is good because it will limit her to tame xc trails,( her doc. says ok to ride as long as theres no crashing, and heart rate above 120). in other words it will really slow her down. i can't wait to see her have the chance to go riding w/ a friend! where i need advice is her level of enthusiasm. i want so bad for her to be jazzed about riding again but she's not. obviously you can't make someone want to mtb, but i need help making it fun for her so we can ride together again. she's got kick ass gear, a supportive hubby and riding group. could it be that she has outgrown this wonderful sport? help! Trev
If you're buddies wife happens to be Jenn, just get her out there once with her. Jenn is SOOOOO patient and loves helping people out. That is most likely all it will take to feel comfortable again. I had never ridden stunts before, and went out to post canyon with Jenn. I was really intimidated by stunts. I too raced Pro DH, but just didn't ever get into stunts. She was great and helped me learn how to do a teeter totter!

Maybe see if Jenn would be willing to go out with her, just the two of them. She is so good at instilling confidence in people and making them feel comfortable.

And chances are, finding a Reign under the tree might get her pretty excited again too! Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Edit: If this is Jenn your talking about, She's pregnant??? Big congrats to her and Thor!!! They are going to have some super blonde kids! This is all assuming this is Jenn and Thor your talking about.

fattyfat1

Monkey
Mar 22, 2005
Kelso, WA
:thumb: :dancing: oops! i hope i didn't spoil anything! yes it is and we have been riding w/ thor and jenn fo years. she knows her quite well because we hang out quite often. the pro racer thing still intimidates her though. super supportive, yes. couldn't ask for a better woman friend to ride with. allways willing to show someone new skills. i hope it works! thanx! p.s. act REALLY surprised when they tell you, O.K.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I would definitely recommend hooking your wife up with some other female riders or even a less intimidating group for a few rides. Sounds like she just needs some saddle time to build her confidence and endurance and then she'll be ready to rock the trails again. I was in quite a similar position and am about to have a baby. I too ride with a Pro racer who is amazingly supportive and always willing to ride the pace I need and help me though tough sections. Good luck and let us know how she progresses!

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
Maybe try to remind your wife that the pro-riders haven't always been at that level. We were once in her position of feeling intimated and slow and remember what it was like. Heck, I still feel that way at alot of races because I know I'm gonna get my butt kicked ;) But at the end of the day they are all still a great group of gals who are very encouraging and fun. (Oh yeah, I've raced with Jenn and DHDiva for a few years now)

Most everyone I bike with doesn't mind slower folks tagging along as long as everyone is having fun. Going into the ride you know you might be waiting and that's ok. Everyone has their rides where they don't want to be held up etc, but those are the rides that others aren't on :)

Good luck on getting her back in the saddle :D I hope she figure out how to relax a bit and enjoy it and have fun with all of guys on the trail...she'll be ripping it with you in no time :D

And congrats to Jenn and Thor!!!