Quantcast

Allways wanted one...

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
and I'm finally getting it!

Picking up a like new/used Haro backtrail 24.

These are the thinks I'm not sure about,

I hope I can ride it smooth enough to not break my 39 yesr old hands and wrists.

1 brake that doesn't work all that well, I hope I don't get totaly buck wild and end up in the trees.

Will I really take this thing to the skate park in the winter.

Is it really as heavy as my p2 chromo?

I hope its not a big...:poster_oops:

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Get a really fat front tire. That will help the wrists if you are used to suspension.

I think you will have fun on it--it's always good to experiment with different setups. With craigslist, you can usually buy something, ride it for 4 months and sell it for about the same as you got it for.

If you ever see a 2004 or 2005 Haro Nyquist R24 cheap on craigslist, buy it. They were full chomoly. http://www.harobikes.com/2005/bmx/nyquist-r24.php

The Backtrail 24 is 3 tube chromoly.
http://www.harobikes.com/2005/bmx/backtrail-x24.php

Weird thing about the Nyquist R24 was the gearing choice--36 X 13 with 24" wheels. Maybe they forgot how to do the gear chart. 36/13 X 24" = 66.4. That's pretty stout compared to all their other complete bike gear choices. They probably put 36/13 on the 20"s that year, and didn't think about the difference the wheel size makes.

i'm an older cat that made the switch to a 24" bmx back in january, i initially had reserves about the wrist impacts as well. your wrists will only hurt for about a couple weeks as you learn how to make the adjustment to landing without suspension. now i can easily go from about 12-15 feet up to flat and not even notice anything...

a liner cable and some kool-stop pads and you will be stopping like you had disc brakes again...

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
I removed the gyro last night and I will pick up a good brake cable today. It has k-rad 1.95's on it and I plan on putting a k-rad 2.2or2.3(can't remember the size) up front that I have laying around.

I rode rollertoasters general lee around earlier this year and I couldn't believe how fast you can build speed through rollers, I think it is a combination of the stiffness but also how steep the head angle is compared to a mtb. Thats what really got me pumped to buy one. Also I'm getting tired of hitting my a$$ with the back tire on my p2.