Quantcast

almost died .... (Easton, we have a problem)

rscecil007

Chimp
Oct 18, 2007
Wish I could read German, but this makes me think twice about installing the new Renthal Fatboy Carbons I have sitting on my workbench.

But Jesus those Syntace carbon bars that won the test are pricey - $229.

knax

Chimp
Nov 1, 2004
germany
Wish I could read German, but this makes me think twice about installing the new Renthal Fatboy Carbons I have sitting on my workbench.

But Jesus those Syntace carbon bars that won the test are pricey - $229.
The Rental carbon version is not mentioned in the test, so no need to panic :D

The essence of the test can be found in the two diagrams in the upper part of the 3rd page and can be understood w/o knowledge of german language: no. of cycles required for a bar to fail and weight of the bar/stem combo (they were always testing two samples of each bar). On the bottom of the page the different loads applied during the test are shown (force pushing/pulling on the bar, frequency, no. of cycles). And it seems they put brakes, shifters and lock-on grips on the bars - fastened with the specified torque. Btw., both Syntace carbon bars were stopped after 1.000.000 cycles w/o failure.

However, it is mentioned somewhere in the text that this test and similar tests in other magazines indicate that the production spread for carbon bars in general seems to be significantly larger than for conventional aluminum bars, possibly due to the largely manual processing of carbon vs. fully automated manufacturing of aluminum bars.

But clearly, such tests need to be taken with a grain of salt. Testing is performed under perfect lab conditions with force always applied in the same direction. So I am not sure how representative this is for real world use, where forces are coming from multiple directions, stems/brakes/shifters etc. are not necessarily always fastened with the correct torque, additional stress from crashes, scratches etc.,...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Because something that completely breaks loose sending a stem into your chest with plastic splinters hanging around is obviously superior.

Seriously, that makes we WANT to buy them.
Easy killer, that's what I was saying. He moved from the splintery bars of death to the official counter culture bars of ridemonkey, which saved that other guys' hiney.