Quantcast

Almost time for some crazy Plattekill racing!

jcook90

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2006
Connecticut
How do you keep a camera dry in the rain? I don't feel like carrying an umbrella.

Also, from the people who know everything, whats the best section to hike down while filming, ideally getting the pro and expert classes

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I don't think I've ever done a race there when it DIDN'T rain at some point throughout the weekend.
That is literally true for me. I thought I was going to get away with it last year....it POURED about 15 minutes before my race run and kept up for an hour or two.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
That is literally true for me. I thought I was going to get away with it last year....it POURED about 15 minutes before my race run and kept up for an hour or two.
Ahhh, the June 2007 race! I never saw clouds move as fast as they did on that day, though a tornado was coming in!

bfrich

Monkey
May 30, 2007
ct
Jim, That was my first race at Plattekill, I was sitting on the lift in the lightening....thinking everything I heard about Plattekill is true

Rich

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Ahhh, the June 2007 race! I never saw clouds move as fast as they did on that day, though a tornado was coming in!
Yeah, it was horrendous. Looked a bit crappy on the ride up. Started raining, so I hid under the lift ramp. Course was fairly dry all weekend and in a matter of 15 minutes had turned into something totally different. I had to stop at one point because one of the Platty guys had flipped his quad over in the middle of the trail.

Got down, hosed off, recovered....sunny and 75 by the time I was cleaned up...of course.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
How do you keep a camera dry in the rain? I don't feel like carrying an umbrella.

Also, from the people who know everything, whats the best section to hike down while filming, ideally getting the pro and expert classes
just keep shooting till it stops working... i never worry about keeping it dry i just shoot.... i <3 my d40 never had a problem in the wet

BUNKERCHUNKS

Monkey
Apr 8, 2008
EAST COAST
I'm leaving at 5:30 am for Plattekill to rake, install more trail markers, and tape. We worked damm hard on making this a quality DH course , MORE TO COME!! Glad there is a good buzz going on about this

SDH

I'm normal
Oct 2, 2001
Northern Va.
Yeah, it was horrendous. Looked a bit crappy on the ride up. Started raining, so I hid under the lift ramp. Course was fairly dry all weekend and in a matter of 15 minutes had turned into something totally different. I had to stop at one point because one of the Platty guys had flipped his quad over in the middle of the trail.

Got down, hosed off, recovered....sunny and 75 by the time I was cleaned up...of course.
I still think the most rain I saw in my like was that one July race in early 2000 rained soo hard thaey closed the mountain, postponed the race and the police were not letting off the mountain b/c the stream off of 30 was so high you could not cross the bridges!

I agree with the dude from abaove Platty in the rain is a right of passage. I do not think to this day I have been more scared on a bike than racing the triple drop course in 99 (or so) in the rain. Brakes were useless........................

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I agree with the dude from abaove Platty in the rain is a right of passage. I do not think to this day I have been more scared on a bike than racing the triple drop course in 99 (or so) in the rain. Brakes were useless........................
brakes are useless anyways!

but yea, if you can race platty in the rain, you can race ANYWHERE.

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
Packed, the cars halfway loaded, the bikes ready, I have my rain gear, just waiting for Jcook90 and then we're off to Plattekill. See you fools there.