Quantcast

Aloha Thursday, Muchachos

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Today's head against the wall: conversation with plow driver.

Me: Mathematically it is not possible for you to retire at 60

Driver: I don't agree with you.

Me: You don't get Social Security. The only acct you have, which is effectively your replacement for SS, doesn't have enough and doesn't get enough annually to outpace the amount your SS would be.

Driver: I disagree that it's the same as my SS.

Me: You can, but you're incorrect. You need to save more money into the other account you have available if you want to retire anytime before 70.

Driver: I still disagree and don't think you know what your talking about.

Me: Given I deal with this exact situation 20yrs in the future of this conversation on a regular basis, I know I am correct. You can disagree, but I am correct.

Driver: So how is this invested?

Me: We invest it for you.

Driver: Who chose that?

Me: You did. Via the website 3 years ago.

Driver: I didn't mean to do that. I want my money back.

Me: Before making that selection, you were in a cash fund that made 1.5% over the whole time period. Your RoR over the same period has been 85%. If the transaction was erroneous, we undo the entire transaction.

Driver: But that's my money.

Me: Not if the transaction was erroneous and we're refunding fees because of the erroneous transaction. We move you back to your original position and RoR accordingly.

Driver: I don't think you know what you're doing. I want to manage my own money!

Me: Great. Click this button on the website and it's all yours. My original statement still stands. It's mathematically impossible for you to retire at 60. You need an annual 55% RoR for 20 years to assume you will be able to hit you current income. That doesn't account for lifestyle creep. Good luck.
Amazing, and a perfect microcosm of today’s society.
Expert tells uncomfortable truth. Rubes deny reality.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Sounds like it's time for a story, Unca Angry! :D
Replaced the Insikerator garbage disposal last year. Instructions clearly stated that if you were merely switching out units with the same model then in wasn't neccessary to install the new sink mounting bracket. So of course I didn't and it developed a leak. So I had to remove the disposal and the old bracket to replace with a new one and fresh plumber's putty. It was a giant pain in the ass. Very difficult to get under the sink to work and my left knee was screaming in pain. Lots of cursing and yelling. After a few minutes of that I can barely walk let alone three goddamn fucking hours. Fuck plumbing and getting old !!!!

Last edited:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
In my experience working with plow drivers in the past, I bet he was at a minimum of 290lbs, drove a superduty, barely made it through high school while slamming energy drinks and jerky and has a tobacco habit of some sort. Am I close @stoney ?
Maybe 200#, but I'd guess 5'9" (all via webcam)

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Replaced the Insikerator garbage disposal last year. Instructions clearly stated that if your were merely switching out units with the same model then in wasn't neccessary to install the new sink mounting bracket. So of course I didn't and it developed a leak. So I had to remove the disposal and the old bracket to replace with a new one and fresh plumber's putty. It was a giant pain in the ass. Very difficult to get under the sink to work and my left knee was screaming in pain. Lots of cursing and yelling. After a few minutes of that I can barely walk let alone three goddamn fucking hours. Fuck plumbing and getting old !!!!

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Mine is Thelma and Louise-esque at high speed off a large drop when quality of life takes a big downturn.
I'd tell you about my real plan to machine-gun my way through society, but then kidwoo would report me AGAIN and I'd have to work a few more years until people forget.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Just for future reference, Backcountry and Flylow ski jackets have really short arms in their XXL sizing. Torso for giant folk I'm Backcountry is good, but arms... Man 4" short. Flylow is fat man in a little coat and 4" too short.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Today's head against the wall: conversation with plow driver.

Me: Mathematically it is not possible for you to retire at 60

Driver: I don't agree with you.

Me: You don't get Social Security. The only acct you have, which is effectively your replacement for SS, doesn't have enough and doesn't get enough annually to outpace the amount your SS would be.

Driver: I disagree that it's the same as my SS.

Me: You can, but you're incorrect. You need to save more money into the other account you have available if you want to retire anytime before 70.

Driver: I still disagree and don't think you know what your talking about.

Me: Given I deal with this exact situation 20yrs in the future of this conversation on a regular basis, I know I am correct. You can disagree, but I am correct.

Driver: So how is this invested?

Me: We invest it for you.

Driver: Who chose that?

Me: You did. Via the website 3 years ago.

Driver: I didn't mean to do that. I want my money back.

Me: Before making that selection, you were in a cash fund that made 1.5% over the whole time period. Your RoR over the same period has been 85%. If the transaction was erroneous, we undo the entire transaction.

Driver: But that's my money.

Me: Not if the transaction was erroneous and we're refunding fees because of the erroneous transaction. We move you back to your original position and RoR accordingly.

Driver: I don't think you know what you're doing. I want to manage my own money!

Me: Great. Click this button on the website and it's all yours. My original statement still stands. It's mathematically impossible for you to retire at 60. You need an annual 55% RoR for 20 years to assume you will be able to hit you current income. That doesn't account for lifestyle creep. Good luck.

You finance bro life coaches are useless.

He's a plowdriver, yet zero discussion of killdozer as retirement option. Take a step back and think outside the box man!

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
You finance bro life coaches are useless.

He's a plowdriver, yet zero discussion of killdozer as retirement option. Take a step back and think outside the box man!
He can't be too far from Granby if @stoney is talking with him.

Time for Killdozer 2.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Tell me moar.
Born and raised on a commercial apple / alfalfa farm. Degrees in Soil Science, Organic Ag, HVAC/R. I've been in the trenches farming and warehousing my whole life. I recently got out of the family business and have been doing some work with ammonia detection in cold storage facilities. Now I have learned theres a "customer" who wants to go big growing food in a sustainable way. They have land, water, money, and equipment. They don't have the experience to vision the path to success. They don't know what success even looks like. (Does anyone in the food supply chain know?)

Well they are dangling carrots. LOL

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Born and raised on a commercial apple / alfalfa farm. Degrees in Soil Science, Organic Ag, HVAC/R. I've been in the trenches farming and warehousing my whole life. I recently got out of the family business and have been doing some work with ammonia detection in cold storage facilities. Now I have learned theres a "customer" who wants to go big growing food in a sustainable way. They have land, water, money, and equipment. They don't have the experience to vision the path to success. They don't know what success even looks like. (Does anyone in the food supply chain know?)

Well they are dangling carrots. LOL
Are they those fancy multi-color carrots? Those things are cool!

:fancy:

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
go for it dude. that sounds like a cool opportunity. :thumb:
I'm going to keep saying yes. Honestly I have been day dreaming about this for years. The carrot being dangled is locking down 550 acres of land for trails. This parcel is the lynch pin in a 3000 acre non motorized recreation/ conservation project.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
Me too! I have been trying to eestablish a role as an ag consultant for 6 years now with not much success.
I’ve always been on the row crop/feed side with various roles in the input and equipment world. While I see the need for consulting at every equipment dealer I step into now, I am not sure how to make a name in that realm.
With that said. High five to making it happen.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I’ve always been on the row crop/feed side with various roles in the input and equipment world. While I see the need for consulting at every equipment dealer I step into now, I am not sure how to make a name in that realm.
With that said. High five to making it happen.
It hasn't happened yet. I've done a ton of free consulting over the years - people have learned they can call me when they don't know what to do. The line between helping friends and getting paid for advice has been hard to breech. The only industry that I've been successful in actually getting paid has been helping cannabis growers. They have money but not any knowledge of scaled up farming. At any rate each attempt is a positive experience and step in the right direction.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
We've started doing playdates for Layla with the dog across the street. Just drop her off when the girls all leave for school and pick her up 3-4 hours later. When they came in after play time, she was limping pretty bad. It looks like she hurt her foot to the extent that I'm having to carry her up the stairs. One more trip to the vet...