Quantcast

Alpine touring skis

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Ive been liking the Kingpins a lot, they definitely split the difference well.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Really good day out in Monarch Pass yesterday. Took a buddy out for his first time skiing backcountry, kept it classy and low angle. But also skied a couple feet of fresh snow, mostly untracked. He gets it now.

IMG_4140.jpeg

We had a group of five, three skiers and two hard boot splitboarders. The only “skiing” photos we got were of the two boarders. D’oh!

IMG_4148.jpeg

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
ATK R12 binders
/me goes and googles

did you opt for the freeride spacer? Seems an elegant thing, that.
I did. No idea how they ski without them, but the bindings ski great so far. A fiend who has skied them with and without has said where you really notice the stomp pad is on harder snow, particularly in steeper and/or more technical terrain. Gives you a bit better leverage over the edges, more control, a bit less of a vague feeling. All this makes sense to me, and seemed wise regardless but particularly for a full rockered ski on hardpack.
did you add moar shimz to raise up the toe to reduce the delta? from what I read here

the Moment-branded version of the ATK Freerider (integrated spacer, taller casting for toe to reduce delta to Look Pivot-like levels) sounds to be just what I'm looking for. don't really care for Evo vs non-Evo as non-actual-DIN adjustment seems to be kind of a waste, honestly.

:homer:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Soooooo many opinions. The anecdotes here re lack of safety on Tectons (!) are concerning.

I should take Nick’s advice:

- find some sufficiently different than current quiver 90-95 mm skis that I’d actually like to ski downhill on
- eBay up some Pivot 12 or 14 bindings just to use their heel pieces
- get a Cast Second Ski Kit and have a shop mount it up (toes of either flavor would be shared between the two sets)
- …
- profit

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
get a Cast Second Ski Kit and have a shop mount it up (toes of either flavor would be shared between the two sets)
Looking on Cast’s site to order the second ski kit I see they have a new Cast 2.0 setup! And its toe piece mounting system looks way better than that on my 1.0 design, which honestly just loves to get clogged with tiny bits of snow and ice when transitioning.

I emailed them to see if I can buy a toe-only upgrade kit, in which case I’d standardize both skis on 2.0, of course.

this write up summarizes my frustrations with Cast 1.0 well, brake locks and all:

Edit: Cast got back to me, and there’s no direct upgrade path for 1.0 users like me. Just buy the whole system. Hmph

IMG_1631.jpeg

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
gonna rent this goofy setup (Rustler 10s on Dynafit Rotation pin bindings) and toodle around Winter Park on it Sunday

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
gonna rent this goofy setup (Rustler 10s on Dynafit Rotation pin bindings) and toodle around Winter Park on it Sunday

is your goal to determine how it goes up, or how well it skis in general? No touring binding will feel 'great' on hardpack, but when you're touring you're not likely skiing hardpack. Any soft snow + good skiing and a modern tech binding will be just fine.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
is your goal to determine how it goes up, or how well it skis in general? No touring binding will feel 'great' on hardpack, but when you're touring you're not likely skiing hardpack. Any soft snow + good skiing and a modern tech binding will be just fine.
how well it skis. to calibrate my foot-meter vs what people write on the internet-meter

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
I was going to respond with something that supports what Nick is saying, but realized Toshi is gonna do what he wants anyways so I deleted it.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I was going to respond with something that supports what Nick is saying, but realized Toshi is gonna do what he wants anyways so I deleted it.
I hear you all

but I want to know how it feels. must know. got to know

then I'll be cured of it

:)

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
I hear you all

but I want to know how it feels. must know. got to know

then I'll be cured of it

:)
Just know that if you ski some lightweight pin bindings on hardpack piste and decide you don’t like its feels then you’ve egregiously missed the point. IMNSHO. But also don’t let me or anyone else tell you what burner to shove your meatclaw onto with reckless abandon.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Just know that if you ski some lightweight pin bindings on hardpack piste and decide you don’t like its feels then you’ve egregiously missed the point. IMNSHO. But also don’t let me or anyone else tell you what burner to shove your meatclaw onto with reckless abandon.
It’s going to be a marginal snow quality day anyway

So I will amuse my brain with something novel

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Fuck those things. Almost as bad as E-bikes. As if XC skiing isn't bad enough in the first place...lets find a way to do it in the summer time too!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
It’s going to be a marginal snow quality day anyway

So I will amuse my brain with something novel
as forecast, it was indeed a marginal snow quality day. but in the sense of not refreezing except in shadowy areas. mashed potato snow, with it getting pretty grabby and off balance later in the morning.

anyway, I didn't really notice the bindings one way or another after a few turns into my first run. but I did notice my feet and knees were a bit more tired/sore than usual. nothing bugging me now some hours later but did notice it while riding lifts back up.

is this the difference I was supposed to be feeling? while actually making turns I felt connected enough to the planks down below. and didn't break my knee or anything

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
is this the difference I was supposed to be feeling? while actually making turns I felt connected enough to the planks down below. and didn't break my knee or anything
The only difference I’ve ever felt is on really hard, bumpy snow. Think refrozen groomers with chicken heads. The lack of elasticity is really noticeable on that kind of surface. Wind fuck sastrugi, ice, etc. but on anything you can get an edge in they ski just fine. And really, they ski fine on hard icy stuff too, it’s just like riding a rigid mountain bike with 60psi in the tires down Belcher… just not as comfortable and maybe a little skittery. But you can do it.

Not super surprised you didn’t notice anything that different in mashed potato snow.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
The only difference I’ve ever felt is on really hard, bumpy snow. Think refrozen groomers with chicken heads. The lack of elasticity is really noticeable on that kind of surface. Wind fuck sastrugi, ice, etc. but on anything you can get an edge in they ski just fine. And really, they ski fine on hard icy stuff too, it’s just like riding a rigid mountain bike with 60psi in the tires down Belcher… just not as comfortable and maybe a little skittery. But you can do it.

Not super surprised you didn’t notice anything that different in mashed potato snow.
And I suspect the sore knees were a result of the mashers. Wife and I skied Copper this w/e and the herky-jerky mush later in the day was *tough* on legs and knees (and back). I should probably get my kid to wax my skis with some warm-snow wax. :think:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The Floyd construction has shut the bike path from bottom of Floyd to CC Parkway until 2027, that's ruined lots of my local ride loops :(
there's a shuttle you can dial up for, no? not sure if bike racks tho or how long that takes

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
there's a shuttle you can dial up for, no? not sure if bike racks tho or how long that takes
There's supposed to be a shuttle available this summer, but who knows what kind of crappy rack or how long you'll be standing there waiting for it.