Quantcast

Alpine touring skis

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
But you also e-bike or e-scooter everything. You pay for those lift season passes for a reason, it sounds like there's alternate lifts you could be skiing via to avoid all the Joeys.

(Not being negative, just imo it sounds like a lot of expense to resort ski when you already pay for that)
I'm not sure Watz has been to WP on a Saturday during peak season in recent years so his advice is dubious to begin with :D

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
You could also consider just picking up a set of used skis with frame bindings to try it out. Something like this setup would be enough to let you give'r a go and you wouldn't need new boots to try it. Granted, that setup wouldn't be ideal but it'd get you a taste to see if you enjoyed it enough to invest more.
Orrrr….attend some touring demo days to dip your toes in the water, as it were.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Oh, just remembered: I'm pretty sure Bent Gate and Powder 7 rent/demo AT stuff. Including boots, if I'm not mistaken. Another option for "trying it out" before you invest a pile of money into it.
ooh, indeed they do. good tip. assuming my feet are wedgeable into stock shells in the first place :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
in this thread, 6thElement takes on the role of me trying to talk stoney out of devoting his life to karting

:D

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
ooh, indeed they do. good tip. assuming my feet are wedgeable into stock shells in the first place :D

A friend down here has some pretty damn wide feet and he skis in Scarpa Maestrales FWIW. Like @Nick said, Matt @ Bent Gate is a really solid bootfitter.

Edit to add: I just looked at Bent Gate's demo page and it doesn't appear that they rent the Maestrale.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Now that options like the Shift, Tecton, and Duke PT exist I personally wouldn't go back.

Bent Gate doesn't sell Tectons, apparently. But they do have the Shift.

I should go in for a bootfitting/shooting the shit session.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
But you also e-bike or e-scooter everything. You pay for those lift season passes for a reason, it sounds like there's alternate lifts you could be skiing via to avoid all the Joeys.
Back in 1995, yeah.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Even if I don't end up pursuing this idea, this is fun just learning about the other side of the gear game. :)

I do remember reading about the Warden MNC when it came out.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
I should go in for a bootfitting/shooting the shit session.

Salomon Shift AT boot in a 106mm wide last? Dang.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
@Toshi has ogre feet. I blame the excess of bao buns.

JM mentioned it but don't go anywhere without AT MINNIMUM a 3 day avalanche 1 class. You live in the sketchiest and most deadly snowpack in the nation.
totally agree.
but, we can skin up a few resorts here in the pre-hours, so no risk, just to see if he likes it.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
My feet aren't fat! they're just mallets of flesh and bone

The Scarpale RS does sound like a good starting place, as does that Salomon.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
but, we can skin up a few resorts here in the pre-hours, so no risk, just to see if he likes it.
Yeah you can do that anywhere. You buy backcountry gear to ski resorts? Rad. ;)

Just tell him where to go. Might as well enjoy an actual hike in nature. You'll find out way more about what you like or don't like on some steep ass sidehill skintrack than you ever will going up a groomer.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
JM mentioned it but don't go anywhere without AT MINNIMUM a 3 day avalanche 1 class. You live in the sketchiest and most deadly snowpack in the nation.
Yeah, like Nick said this would be for in-bounds until I'm properly educated and all. And perhaps never for out of bounds given both what I've read and from how one of my attendings during fellowship died in an avalanche in Park City despite an Avalung and all that gear.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Yeah, like Nick said this would be for in-bounds until I'm properly educated and all. And perhaps never for out of bounds given both what I've read and from how one of my attendings during fellowship died in an avalanche in Park City despite an Avalung and all that gear.
Just take a course as soon as possible. Skinning up resorts is like pedaling up whistler mountain. There's actually some decent mellow terrain around granby that you can get used to skinning on that shouldn't kill you too badly. The biggest thing about backcountry is just knowing what to look for, what you know about the snowpack so far in any season (CO avy center website) and not being a moron.

The whole reason I bought a sled in 2008 was to get away from morons in the backcountry. Ski resorts are moron factories.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I feel attacked, again.

But also, agree with everything you said. Even though I'm occasionally guilty of an early morning or after closing skin lap of my local hill.
The i70 nutjobs already get up early enough just to get to the damn hills for opening. To me going out in the woods is partly about getting away from that shit. Going even earlier is just nuttytawk. Go see some squirrels. Sleep till the ungodly hour of 6am.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
The i70 nutjobs already get up early enough just to get to the damn hills for opening. To me going out in the woods is partly about getting away from that shit. Going even earlier is just nuttytawk. Go see some squirrels.
Ahem. These days I leave the house at 8:10a to be in the maze for 9a opening. And our local "safely mellow but still steep enough to make fun turns" zone is about 1/2 mile up from the ski hill, so if I do go early my walking lap is usually there. But occasionally...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
@Toshi has ogre feet. I blame the excess of bao buns.

totally agree.
That's not exactly correct. How do you know that ski-patrol has evaluated those slopes and performed mitigation on them already?

I mean, if you are talking bunny slopes and anything less than 30 degrees, then sure, but anything more and all bets are off. It kind of takes an avy course just to know what you can safely do without having to evaluate the slopes....

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Ahem. These days I leave the house at 8:10a to be in the maze for 9a opening. And our local "safely mellow but still steep enough to make fun turns" zone is about 1/2 mile up from the ski hill, so if I do go early my walking lap is usually there. But occasionally...
Oh it's ALL ABOUT YOU NOW in the beautiful mountain town of salida now isn't it? Is this thread about YOU going backcountry skiing? No it isn't!

(toshi still has to drive i70, lets us rub it in his face)

and on the dwid note, this is a friend of mine who works a cunty valley usa
Screenshot_20230202-145822_Messages.jpg

Last edited:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Just tell him where to go. Might as well enjoy an actual hike in nature. You'll find out way more about what you like or don't like on some steep ass sidehill skintrack than you ever will going up a groomer.
100%
there are a couple of areas that are lower risk, but he'd be best served to see if he likes it AT ALL, then taking his AIRIE1

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I for one wanna see more fights.

The ski industry is even better than the bike industry at making every single thing that came before the production year out to be ancient junk.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Oh it's ALL ABOUT YOU NOW in the beautiful mountain town of salida now isn't it? Is this thread about YOU going backcountry skiing? No it isn't!

did you forget already i have a MOUNTAIN SECOND HOUSE

sheesh

but yes, have to drive I-70 and 40 to get to it in the first place, I suppose. until i get my helicopter

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Yeah you know me. That's definitely a thing I forgot. I definitely forget things like that. Especially considering I already mentioned granby a few posts up.

Typical spacey tesla buyer.....

I might actually have some shit for you. What size ski boot do you wear?
26.5 x very very wide

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
26.5 x very very wide
Ditto. You should see the shit that passes for the 'ouside bone' of my feet. If you know what the 'lange bone' is, mine goes the whole length. I have some punched 25.5s (you understand this if you're a skier) that may literally be the only other person's boots that fit you.

Size 9 street shoe? If so I have some dynafit boots I can send you for shipping. At the very least you get some tech boots without buying them.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I'm like a 9.5 4E in street shoes. But I'll risk the cost of shipping :D

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Sorry.

Yeah! In your face, Toshi!

and on the dwid note, this is a friend of mine who works a cunty valley usa
View attachment 188862
:disgust1:

Even I’m not that asshole. But we see that guy/gal down here, too… it’s like they bought all the shit just for the exercise and have no interest in learning how to actually ski.