Quantcast

Alpine touring skis

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
your team

They're expensive enough you won't feel like a commoner. DPS is truly the chosen ski of the medical profession. You'll be the envy of your peers and you'll become good friends with the dentists who have to put your fillings back it if you ski these on hardpack

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
As I posted earlier in here powder7 does have two Dispatch 110/Duke PT demo setups for sale

but they are above my impulse purchase threshold. At the moment

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
You definitely need that Alpride 2.0 because:
1. Its 1 more than my 1.0.
2.The airbag part is 25% lighter so they added more pockets and straps and stuff to make up for it.
3. If you dont buy the newest ski gear every year then fuck you!
4. See 1.
5. Magazine endorsements.
6. Yer not gunna have a good time.

That said, I’ll probably pick up a new boot/ski/binding setup next season…or used

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Can't seem to filter on width and I don't know anything about planks :D

Aren't these your flavour @Toshi and they're a nice subtle colour!

(Extra 30% off all their prices with coupon code, plus another ~12% active junky at the moment)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Can't seem to filter on width and I don't know anything about planks :D

Aren't these your flavour @Toshi and they're a nice subtle colour!

(Extra 30% off all their prices with coupon code, plus another ~12% active junky at the moment)
Thanks for thinking of me. :D Those are actually the exact model I have for my alpine setup, and I love them. They did change their construction a tiny bit this year in addition to making the new vomit-themed color scheme, so potentially I might love these ones a bit more or less for how they ski, and I most certainly am not a fan of how they look, as petty as that is.

But they're also quite heavy, which is part of why they ski so well in-bounds imo, because they don't get deflected when one passes through a patch of crap snow at speed. From those who actually do this uphill business they're about a lb more than desired, and apparently weight that one swings around with each step is more noticeable.

Mine, for the record:

(the 100 mm length pink ones, yes, yes)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

K2 Mindbender 120 MV

I ordered 26.5 and 27.5 examples of the 120 MV from Sports Basement out of California, as they seem to have an unlimited day return policy. I'll wear each around the house and if one of them is close enough to be workable will go in to Christy Sports, pay for a custom footbed, and for that cost they'll do all the shell and liner work necessary to make things work.
The Mindbender 120 MV boots arrived from California after a shipping delay no doubt related to the biblical snow-deluge ongoing in the Sierras.

I wedged my feet into the 26.5s after shell-testing them. The 26.5 shell is definitely the right one, length-wise, so didn't even open up the 27.5 box.

Simba approves of the shipping arrangements

They're too narrow, of course, but absolutely any boot is too narrow out of the box. These have a "heat-moldable Powerlite Shell" per their specs so I think they might just work. With a lot of molding and punching out.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
C8F627C1-1173-42D1-847C-5B825FF27768.jpeg

it’s happening. Footbeds made (as the shell labor then comes free) and now waiting for the shells to heat mold.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Then cooling the shells. Lots of time standing in them! Finally off. He has them outside to cool and let my feet recover from the molding trauma.

89E7DE51-DBD1-4DC9-BE99-951270F67C20.jpeg
33A00DDC-A8F0-4BFC-ADA2-545EDB24AD58.jpeg

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
(Update after getting home—wasn’t there this whole time)

And upon trying them on after chilling, with the extra cork on my 5th metatarsal head and extra socks off… they actually feel pretty good!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
For future reference, I was very pleased with my experience with Kyle. Chatted about a bunch of ski related stuff ranging from Larry (now slinging rental gear only in Eugene is the word) to where to ski (Wolf Creek, day after the storm), to the ever favorite gear choice question. He advocated for Duke PT over Shift, for the record, due to failures they’ve seen come to the shop on the latter, and said that he’d actually recommend the Cast system (with Look Pivots!) over all for 90/10 use.

Christy Sports on University in Cherry Creek, and he’s off Sunday, Tuesday, and Wednesday (and Monday if there’s powder).

A7BB6DC9-0DB9-4893-874D-FC80F54C27AC.jpeg

One of the bootfitters got Dispatch skis this season and likes them. But apparently he has something like 10 skis and likes all of them.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I love the Dispatch 120 as a soft snow touring ski but they definitely a) want some speed and pitch to kinda start to work, as opposed to being a great low angle tree wiggler and b) wouldn't be my first choice if you're talking about a ski to put CAST or similar on and ski inbounds a bunch. They're pretty stiff and pretty light, and while they're impressively stable in weird-but-consistent snow for their weight, they get knocked around a bunch when things are more chopped up (they weigh 1800g in a 186, so duh) and aren't a ski that's all that happy noodling around and dealing with bumped up resort conditions.

They're really goddamn good at what they do, I just think you might be after something different.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I love the Dispatch 120 as a soft snow touring ski but they definitely a) want some speed and pitch to kinda start to work, as opposed to being a great low angle tree wiggler and b) wouldn't be my first choice if you're talking about a ski to put CAST or similar on and ski inbounds a bunch. They're pretty stiff and pretty light, and while they're impressively stable in weird-but-consistent snow for their weight, they get knocked around a bunch when things are more chopped up (they weigh 1800g in a 186, so duh) and aren't a ski that's all that happy noodling around and dealing with bumped up resort conditions.

They're really goddamn good at what they do, I just think you might be after something different.
Cool, this is super useful feedback. I'm not worried about the stiffness since I'm fat and can flex a ski fine. Figures that physics is physics wrt weight. But as a kill two birds with one quiver option* there's something you'd suggest over it?

* two birds that I'd ideally kill would be something more soft snow oriented for inbounds days than my Mindbender 108 Tis, and something that I could go uphill on, on the rare occasion. 90/10 inbounds.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
@HAB halp pls. see above

anyway, I also messaged my med school buddy Paul, which I probably mentioned earlier in this thread but am too lazy to go back and check.

me said:
I heard your name come up in the Blister video chat with the K2 designer dude, re your time at Crested Butte on the Dispatch 120. Do you think a Dispatch 120 would be a stupid choice for Colorado, set up AT with Shifts or Duke PTs? I love my Mindbender 108 Tis, if that's any reference, so seem to have superficially similar preferences to you guys.
Paul said:
I think the D120 would be a fun pow-touring setup for what you’re describing. D110 might be a little more versatile. For what you’re describing it wouldn’t be crazy to try a rustler 11. I can’t remember the weight compared to the dispatch but I skied the new ones at the summit and they felt pretty light and overall improved but the old one is good too.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
At that ratio of riding chairs to touring, I'd focus on the riding chairs part of the program, and get something that's heavier and more fun in chopped up snow. There are a ton of skis that fit the bill depending on your preferences for shape, mount point, etc.

If you like your Mindbender 108 Tis the 116c would be a great place to start.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
At that ratio of riding chairs to touring, I'd focus on the riding chairs part of the program, and get something that's heavier and more fun in chopped up snow. There are a ton of skis that fit the bill depending on your preferences for shape, mount point, etc.

If you like your Mindbender 108 Tis the 116c would be a great place to start.
It's hard to parse reviews, but it seems like the stiffer but lighter Dispatch might actually be a better tool for chopped up snow than the 116c... going just by the Blister word here:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I'm thinking of the DPS Pagoda Tour 106s or Stereoskis Wolf. JFC why are the DPS so expensive? The Stereoskis seem to match or are close to most of the specs and are also in stock.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
JFC why are the DPS so expensive?
cuz they ski like shit but are the lightest things made so #winning

@Toshi: bro Just buy the another pair of the skis you already ski on 'powder days' and put some fucking hiking bindings on them. Just do that. They'll be familiar, and you'll immediately feel at home. Of all the shit you buy for 'backcountry setup' skis really are the simplest part in many ways.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
cuz they ski like shit but are the lightest things made so #winning

@Toshi: bro Just buy the another pair of the skis you already ski on 'powder days' and put some fucking hiking bindings on them. Just do that. They'll be familiar, and you'll immediately feel at home. Of all the shit you buy for 'backcountry setup' skis really are the simplest part in many ways.
But then I’d have no reason to pick them up but for uphill days. Which will be rare as hen’s teeth.

I want a Goldilocks ski, just a little wider and floatier but still damp. Infused with magic pls

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
then why does this thread exist?

Yeah you know how that approach works so perfectly with mountainbikes? Same.
I’m just being realistic. And I did buy AT boots! after much time spent trying ones on. So the chances of me going uphill went from 0 to slightly above 0

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I’m just being realistic.
Are you though? ;)

You don't even know if you like hiking. There are some legitimately shitty things about it, really. Getting out there is infinitely more important right now than your particular ski choice. Really.

Go hike and ski something. You may actually hate it. It's kind of a lot of work. I mean you bought an ebike because pedaling is hard....

I get that you're fascinated with the romanticism of 'the backcounty' in light of what ski areas look like in 2023, everyone is. But you need to find out if you're cool with the basics of that before spending full price on a pair of brand new skis that only address like 10% of what 'alpine touring' is. Go walk up something and ski down it. The individual ski is a pretty minor component of all that's involved. It may click, but if it doesn't, cool 700 dollar purchase bro.

My first hiking skis were way the fuck too long and stiff but they were cheap because they were some on sale demos at the end of the year from a ski area's rental fleet. They sucked but you know what? The experience of being way away from other people and their issues at least solidified in my my mind that this was a thing worth pursuing. You don't even know if that applies yet or not.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
This is true. But if I can rationalize it as an extra set of inbound powder skis that happen to have Cast bindings…

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
This is true. But if I can rationalize it as an extra set of inbound powder skis that happen to have Cast bindings…
You have way more money than me, otherwise I'd give you some first and second gen cast stuff I have I'm not using. But it's been said many times over in this thread: just get something and then go walk up a hill and ski down it. There will be either something magic about it that you want to pursue, or you're going to realize that spending 2 hours of sweating for 80 seconds of skiing sucks dick. You got boots which is very much the most important bit. Like most things in life you're going to realize that the product is minor compared to the activity.

Buy some cheap shit off craigslist and try it out.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
yes, I should go rent a setup from Bentgate. Or borrow one of Nick’s many sets of skis if he has anything that’d work for 304 BSL. Or continue to daydream—that works for me, too

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
yes, I should go rent a setup from Bentgate. Or borrow one of Nick’s many sets of skis if he has anything that’d work for 304 BSL. Or continue to daydream—that works for me, too
Yes, you should do one of those.

As far as supporting your idea of expensive fantasies that may or may not have any basis in reality, I apologize.....I should know better at this point ;)

Go hike something man. Which particular ski ain't gonna tell you anything. You're after an environment, not a purchase.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Far in the distance, below the triangular peak, was the promised land. It wasn't today, but I wanted to tour up here to check out this valley and up next to that little gully to that bowl is a damn near 3/4 cirque of freaking awesome runs that can be lapped as you play out the entire little bowl. I'd take a much more direct tour up now that I know this is where to go. The snow was wind blown bad and baked the week prior. We were hoping for better snow in the shadows and wind protected areas, but it was really only down load in the alders. Still, great intel for later and nice to have another sweet spot in the pocket.
1678592295001.png
1678592321088.png
1678592343662.png
1678592396990.png
1678592411973.png
1678592460556.png
4924A75C-B73C-4B40-9092-6C6C47DA82BF.jpeg

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
TGR’s Dispatch thread is active, fueling my daydreams

Relevant to my interests:

B0A93F1E-E6E6-4221-AB96-4245E4B5A881.jpeg

they sound fun

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Far in the distance, below the triangular peak, was the promised land. It wasn't today, but I wanted to tour up here to check out this valley and up next to that little gully to that bowl is a damn near 3/4 cirque of freaking awesome runs that can be lapped as you play out the entire little bowl. I'd take a much more direct tour up now that I know this is where to go. The snow was wind blown bad and baked the week prior. We were hoping for better snow in the shadows and wind protected areas, but it was really only down load in the alders. Still, great intel for later and nice to have another sweet spot in the pocket.
View attachment 190801View attachment 190802View attachment 190803View attachment 190804View attachment 190805View attachment 190806View attachment 190807
sir this is not a thread about skiing, it is a thread about buying