Quantcast

Alpine touring skis

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
ok, things I will plan to do with the goal of getting me uphill at least once:

1) Buy a $25 for season Winter Park Uphill Armband at the start of next season.

2) Rent once from Bentgate or borrow a pair from Nick, and use that to schlep myself up from the Winter Park base to however high I get by, say, 11 AM, and then meet my wife for lunch at Snoasis like usual and ski with her the rest of the day. Bentgate men's AT rental options as of now:

Atomic Backland 95
Black Crows Orb Freebird
Black Crows Camox Freebird
Black Crows Navis Freebird
Black Crows Corvus Freebird
Dynafit Free 97
Dynafit Free 107
Blizzard Zero G 95
Blizzard Zero G 105
Blizzard Hustle 10
Icelantic Nomad Lite 105
IcelanticNatural 101
DPS Pagoda Tour 100rp
DPS Pagoda Tour 106C2
DPS Pagoda Tour 112 rp
DPS Pagoda non-Tour 112 rp
Moment Wildcat Tour 108
K2 Wayback 96
K2 Wayback 106
3) If the experience was just awful then that's that, and I go back to fantasizing about something else. :D If it didn't suck then signing up for the Evo Premium Season Pass might be in order: $700 fee for the season gets one unlimited rentals of both demo level alpine skis and backcountry ski setups.

AT gear they have available for rental on the website at the moment:

Black Crows Camox Freebird
Blizzard Zero G 95
Armada Locator 96
Armada Locator 104
WNDR Alpine Vital 100 Camber
hmm. Maybe they have more and it's rented? That's not a lot. Maybe that doesn't make sense after all. Alpine gear they have for rent, in more or less the semi-random order their website serves up, since alpine rentals would be part of the deal, too (alpine only exists but no backcountry only rental subscription exists):

Season Kin
Season Forma
Season Nexus
Season Pass
Atomic Bent 90
Atomic Bent 100
Atomic Bent 110
Line Blade Optic 96
Line Blade Optic 104
Black Crows Atris
Black Crows Mirus Cor
Salomon QST 92
Salomon QST 106
Salmon QST Blank
Nordica Enforcer 104 Free
Nordica Unleashed 98
Nordica Unleashed 108
Blizzard Hustle 10
Blizzard Hustle 11
Zag H-96
Elan Ripstick Tour 104
Volkl M6 Mantra
hmm indeed.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
do it now

you guys are have a decent winter and there are some hills around WP to Granby

go walk up that hill lookers right of sol vista and ski down it. It's fine.
Shouldn’t I take a course before stepping out of resort controlled territory, though?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Shouldn’t I take a course before stepping out of resort controlled territory, though?
Less than 30 degrees and in the trees!

Avoid open deep spots. Talk to some of the other CO peeps about the snowpack. But generally speaking later in the year is safer in your hood as things consolidate. When people talk about avalanche terrain they usually mean this stuff.

That looks like a pretty mellow hill but it's also a burn area with no anchors (like trees that help prevent large, cohesive slabs).

But you can certainly walk up a mellow treed hill and coast down it without being edumacated to the gills with snow science. You see tourists do this all the time with shitty plastic sleds.

You can easily do this in a month or two when things corn up a bit.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
You can use Gaia GPS with slope angle overlay to keep it less than 30 degrees.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
will you just shut the fuck up and go ski something already?

(it ain't the bike)

You have an entire secondary habitat right where you can try this stuff out.
I skied yesterday, and shall again on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday.

* with lifts to winch me up the hill

I like my plan to drag out your collective agony for reading updates to this thread through November of this year tho

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I skied yesterday, and shall again on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday.

* with lifts to winch me up the hill

I like my plan to drag out your collective agony for reading updates to this thread through November of this year tho
That's not the skiing I'm talking about.

It's not agony, trust me. I'm surrounded by about 2 million of you in my daily life. It's something entirely different than agony.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Ok, ok. Once I get my April schedule then I'll pick a day and go. March is all booked up with regular skiing or being on call.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I just realized that I should put a Cast binding on my current Mindbender 108 Tis. (And keep on looking out for reviews on goldilocks bit-wider bit-lighter powder skis that might be complementary.)

Would need new bindings in addition to the Cast system since mine are the plastic 14s and they only work with the metal 15 and 18s.

so new plan:

1) once an April day makes itself known, rent from Bentgate or borrow from Nick and go walk around somewhere safe in Grand County, ideally with someone to show me the ropes.

2) if I hate it then just use my fancy AT boots as alpine that happen to be easier to walk across the village. If I don’t hate it then Cast-ify my existing Mindbenders and get extendable poles and skins to fit, etc.

Last edited:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Here you go

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Here you go
sold after 8 inbound and 2 out of bound days

sounds about right

:D

Some Euro sites have Pivot 15s for cheap new:

That plus getting the Cast upgrade kit directly from Cripple Creek (and having them doing the mounting work) would be about $70 + tax on the $350 Cast extra, and would kick some $ to the store.

I will be a good boy and wait until I get a day of striding around under my feet before doing anything, though.

Last edited:

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
@Toshi — go walk up a hill!

Dawn patrol on the pass this morning was a success. Roughly boot top deep light powder over a supportive yet non-punchy base. Made some “rad” squiggly dad bod turns through the trees and then back down the hill for work.

Ski up…

View attachment 191016

The face of a guy about to ski the best snow he’s had all season…

View attachment 191018

The view…

View attachment 191017

About to dorp…

View attachment 191019

Sadly no pics of actual skiing, we were too busy giggling and wiggling our way down the hill. Quick skin back up to the truck and put a bow on it.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
@Toshi — go walk up a hill!
'tis in the plan

I just realized that I should put a Cast binding on my current Mindbender 108 Tis. (And keep on looking out for reviews on goldilocks bit-wider bit-lighter powder skis that might be complementary.)

Would need new bindings in addition to the Cast system since mine are the plastic 14s and they only work with the metal 15 and 18s.

so new plan:

1) once an April day makes itself known, rent from Bentgate or borrow from Nick and go walk around somewhere safe in Grand County, ideally with someone to show me the ropes.

2) if I hate it then just use my fancy AT boots as alpine that happen to be easier to walk across the village. If I don’t hate it then Cast-ify my existing Mindbenders and get extendable poles and skins to fit, etc.
for April

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Well this sucks, after picking out and buying the Stereo Wolfs, I was all set to get my bindings mounted up, verifying the shop turnaround, just waiting on the tecnica tech soles to convert the boots, which were supposed to arrive today. What I got was the wrong soles, wrong ISO compared to what i ordered (kind of the reason for having ISO in the first place). They are basically what I already have…in a different color. This hoses any chance of skiing on new skis this weekend.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Oh I know, just offering some encouragement. I am wise beyond my rapidly advancing years, you know.
I still do not have my April schedule yet!

so y'all will continue to have to wait with bated breath for the next real update

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
/awaits the post two hours from now with a purchase of new planks.
I made it a few days! And didn’t buy new skis, per se…

A short story in two parts. Skis were at Powder7 getting a tune and P-Tex repairs:

2F3101F9-58EE-4B46-BFF2-9013EB9A8E12.jpeg

I called them in response to this, and they said they’d do their special pricing deal for Pivot 15s but I’d be at retail for Cast (since I might as well do it then as they’re remounting new bindings, I figured). I gave the go-ahead.

5DF1C290-6D4A-46B9-B9DC-1ED1153C3B3B.jpeg

Last edited:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I made it a few days! And didn’t buy new skis, per se…

A short story in two parts. Skis were at Powder7 getting a tune and P-Tex repairs:

View attachment 191332

I called them in response to this, and they said they’d do their special pricing deal for Pivot 15s but I’d be at retail for Cast (since I might as well do it then as they’re remounting new bindings, I figured). I gave the go-ahead.

View attachment 191333
The half moon is like $10, and if it didn't physically crack and fall off, I'd be more worried about the screws pulling out and having a rotten core in your skis.
Sorry, cynic mode, off.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The half moon is like $10, and if it didn't physically crack and fall off, I'd be more worried about the screws pulling out and having a rotten core in your skis.
Sorry, cynic mode, off.
A fair point. From what they wrote and what she said, it did crack and fall off, though. You're just saying that it failing is a failsafe for where the forces would be transmitted otherwise?

In any case, Cast shall be happening. :)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I'm just saying make sure they give you your old pivots, I'll take them off of your hands for a sweet deal.
Might save them for kid 1's Mindbender 106Cs! as they have 115 mm brakes.

(too tall for her now but soon enough!)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Ordered up some skins and adjustable poles.

holding off on airbag for the moment as that’s a bigger chunk. Bob Leisure (where I got those NOS 106Cs above from) in Germany seems to have the hot price on an E2 airbag, for future reference:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Ordered up some skins and adjustable poles.

holding off on airbag for the moment as that’s a bigger chunk. Bob Leisure (where I got those NOS 106Cs above from) in Germany seems to have the hot price on an E2 airbag, for future reference:

I may have got mine from them…it took a Loooonng time to get here…but it eventually did.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Also, you dont want triple telescope poles…they are too weak. Double is fine. The long poles with super long grips are definitely worth a look.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Also, you dont want triple telescope poles…they are too weak. Double is fine. The long poles with super long grips are definitely worth a look.
The skinny 3rd section on the double jointed poles weirded me out so I picked this one:

I figure poles are poles pretty much. Some colors are prettier than others :D

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Return those things and use the poles you already own for resort skiing. Hiking is hard but hiking with poles that slide and get shorter while you're trying to get your footing is harder. Those are passable for splitboard hiking because you want them out of the way on a pack when riding but they're annoying as shit to hike with once they start slipping.....which they will eventually.

Extending and collapsing poles because sIdEhIlLs bRo is something you're not going to do because putting your hand on the top of the grip on the downhill side and holding the strap with your palm and grabbing the grip lower on the uphill side is too easy.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Return those things and use the poles you already own for resort skiing. Hiking is hard but hiking with poles that slide and get shorter while you're trying to get your footing is harder. Those are passable for splitboard hiking because you want them out of the way on a pack when riding but they're annoying as shit to hike with once they start slipping.....which they will eventually.

Extending and collapsing poles because sIdEhIlLs bRo is something you're not going to do because putting your hand on the top of the grip on the downhill side and holding the strap with your palm and grabbing the grip lower on the uphill side is too easy.
I thought it was for making skating easier? which might actually be relevant for the Cirque, although I am not sure it's worth busting out skins and swapping toe pieces for that.

Anyway, it's from some French company that also had a good price on the skins so I shan't be returning them. They're the same ones my eldest kid has, so she'll be tickled that we match as she likes that concept greatly. :)

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I want longer poles for climbing…but i no longer shorten them for going down, i just drag them like an idiot. Its the long grips that are really important IMO. Then you can just grab wherever you need at any time, steep or gentle slope. Long poles are real nice for some stuff like creek crossings and complex maneuvering.
Like this stuff:
1679636937846.jpeg