Quantcast

Alpine Trail Report

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Sunday we rode one of my favorite trails in Oakridge called the Alpine Trail. It's a challenge at basically 10 miles up and then 10 miles down some insane beautiful and challenging singletrack. We started around 11 but it was still chilly in the shaded areas. Luckily for me, we were climbing for over an hour as we headed up and up in elevation. The elevation gain of our planned ride was around 3000, however you can add on several different ride options to make it longer with more climbing. We didn't want to get home too late, so we settled for the 20 mile ride. So, climb for 10 miles and then head deep into the jungle. It's really dark in there because the trees are gigantinormous. Once we got to the top we were riding along the ridge for awhile before the death defying swoop down switchbacks and along the edge of the cliffs. One slight bobble and BAM you'd be flying off the edge of earth. I didn't take many pictures, it's just too hard to stop and downhills that fast and fun. Here's what I did snap.

The view from the top of our climb. That's Diamond Peak back there, with snow on top still.

Get outta control, and you have a long fall....DOWN!

So dark, and so green! I had to ditch my glasses half way down because they were too dark.

Trees everywhere.

Ferns are cool. Just the word is cool.

Who doesn't love a covered bridge?

Too bad I didn't capture any of the fall colorscapes. The colors in the forests are really amazing right now.

That's all folks.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Was the climb pretty steep, or more like a constant grade up? I would really like to check that trail out! Thanks for the great pictures! :cool:

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Awesome stuff! i love that mileage for a trail ride. 20 miles with 3000 elevation, easy enough you don't feel the punishment, but difficult enough to feel like you got a good ride in. :)

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Skookum said:
Awesome stuff! i love that mileage for a trail ride. 20 miles with 3000 elevation, easy enough you don't feel the punishment, but difficult enough to feel like you got a good ride in. :)
Let's do it Skook!

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Snacks said:
Was the climb pretty steep, or more like a constant grade up? I would really like to check that trail out! Thanks for the great pictures! :cool:
It's a constant grade for the most part, though there are some steep pitches. In the trees at the top it's really buff singletrack and then when the descent starts it gets interesting. :)

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Heidi said:
It's a constant grade for the most part, though there are some steep pitches. In the trees at the top it's really buff singletrack and then when the descent starts it gets interesting. :)
Cool! Thanks for the great report. We will be heading down there this spring for a long weekend for sure :thumb: