Quantcast

Alright bros...building up my next bike

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
So i'm picking up a new Planet X Pitbull frame in matte black, and i'm going to build it up as a street/dj bike. Trying to keep the price below $2000. Here she blows..
-03' or 04' Marzocchi DJ1 w/ qr20
-Halo Combat 26" wheelset
-Hayes HFX-9 (rear only)
-Shimano LX rear derailuer (8 sp.)
-Shimano LX 8 sp. cassette
-Shimano XT shifter
-Maxxis Hookworm 26"
-Azonic Aggro stem
-Azonic WF bars
-FSA Pig headset
Any suggestions on crankset/bb combo? I'll probably go with the Planet X Goliath crankset. What about seatpost, pedals, and a chainguide? Thanks for the help, hope it will be done by the end of this season. Just in time for rain and cold weather.:rolleyes: Gonna sell my P.1 after I get this built, anyone intrested in it now? Got a pic under my profile homepage link.

mutasmurf

Chimp
Feb 16, 2002
Bellingham, WA
I suggest a DJ2, if you can find one, and I would lower the travel if possible. Hydro brakes are overkill for street/dj, an Avid mech or Vbrake would be plenty, but since you're getting disc specific wheels, might as well go mech disc. Hookworms are also overkill for street, and heavy for DJing. Azonic sucks at making stems, but the Azonic Aggro doesn't look too bad. I'd still go with a nother brand for stems though. If you have the cash go SS with BMX chain, it is low maintainence, worry free, and chain is X-times stronger than a weak MTB chain. Don't go with the Planet X cranks. Get Profiles, On-One retards (heavy though), FSA X-Drive, or the Gusset Pigmies. Seatpost is not really important, but something with a 2 bolt clamp would be nice, and ditch the chainguide. I hope this helps.

Also, why are you getting rid of your P1? Why not just build it up with better components? Is the frame's geometry not right for you?

Ifelloffabike

Monkey
Apr 14, 2003
Strong Island Ny
"-Shimano LX rear derailuer (8 sp.)
-Shimano LX 8 sp. cassette
-Shimano XT shifter"

Shimano ultegra/105 rear derailleur
ultegra/105 casette 9spd
deore/lx shifter pod

because honestly on a street/dj bike shifting quality doenst matter all that much, just that it shifts and stays where you put it which deore/lx shifters do just fine.

Use road stuff for your drivetrain because its more compact and with the lower range casette you can run a smaller ring up front and have more clearence.

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
seatpost:thompson seat:go to the bargain bin...find something to sit on guide:truvativ boxguide or evil...oh yea and go for a generic dh stem u can save a bunch and there not all that bad. honestly, ive never heard of anyone breaking a stem tho

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
Yea, the road shifters were my first plan, so I may stick with it, or just go singlespeed like my P.1 Not sure though, just throwing around some ideas, not sure of purchasing anything right now. I may wait til the season is over to build it. Plus the LBS is about to move so I gotta deal with all that sh**. And no, I love my P.1, it rules. I've got it preety much pimped out, aside from the front wheel that tends to go square. But definetly thanks for the info.

mutasmurf

Chimp
Feb 16, 2002
Bellingham, WA
Originally posted by mcA896
seatpost:thompson seat:go to the bargain bin...find something to sit on guide:truvativ boxguide or evil...oh yea and go for a generic dh stem u can save a bunch and there not all that bad. honestly, ive never heard of anyone breaking a stem tho
Don't go with a POS stem, or you may regret it. I've broken a stem, and it wasn't a pleasant experience to say the least. Also, you want a short stem, unless you already feel 'cramped' in your bike. The On One retard is the perfect stem for street. Low stack height, oversized bolts, it's CNC'd and forged, so it is one strong mofo, it's also around $40, so it won't break the bank.