Quantcast

Alright you gun toting carnivores...

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
I'm interested in taking up hunting this fall (as if I don't have enough things keeping me busy) and was looking for some advice on a rifle. I'm in northern New England, VT, and will be hopefully going after deer with which to stuff my freezer. I've been doing a smattering of reading and I think that what will work best for me is going to be something simple, light and reliable, like a Winchester Model 70, Ruger American, or similar .308 chambered bolt action rifle. Any suggestions on a specific rifle to look at in addition to those?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I'm interested in taking up hunting this fall (as if I don't have enough things keeping me busy) and was looking for some advice on a rifle. I'm in northern New England, VT, and will be hopefully going after deer with which to stuff my freezer. I've been doing a smattering of reading and I think that what will work best for me is going to be something simple, light and reliable, like a Winchester Model 70, Ruger American, or similar .308 chambered bolt action rifle. Any suggestions on a specific rifle to look at in addition to those?

I am not familiar with the laws in every state but I thought most deer hunting in the North East was limited to shotguns. Laws or not if you are hunting in the woods a shotgun is probably the best option.

*I do not hunt but used to hang out and shoot guns with plenty of hunters in NY state and Virginia, above information is what I learned from them.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I dont like guns and I eat mostly vegetarian.

Hunting has my interest though, as I see it as an honest way to eat meat and I might be looking into building myself a nice retirement cabin up north... so i approve of this thread.

I am with you. Properly managed hunting for food is about as free range, organic and cruelty free meat as you can get. If I was a critter that will ultimately end up as food I would rather live a normal life and shot while taking a shit in the woods than get raised on a factory farm.

Don't tell that to the people locked in my basement.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I am not familiar with the laws in every state but I thought most deer hunting in the North East was limited to shotguns. Laws or not if you are hunting in the woods a shotgun is probably the best option.

*I do not hunt but used to hang out and shoot guns with plenty of hunters in NY state and Virginia, above information is what I learned from them.
Shotguns would seem unusually cruel, with a significant chance of injury without killing...

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Check your local laws and regs, but shotgun hunting for non-birds sucks, wouldn't chose one for deer unless I was legally required to.

30-30 lever-gun FTW! Cheap to buy, cheap to shoot, easier to find good soft point ammo for, easier to find ammo for when the tinfoil hatters start hoarding.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado

Vermont allows rifle hunting for whitetails, and it is indeed a viable option. There are enough farms, former farms, and orchards that the deer like to graze between, that sometimes your best shot at them is across a field.

If you do get stuck in the woods with the rest of us public land hunters, a shotgun or bow is most definitely the appropriate choice. And if you happen to own enough property, mind if I come up and hunt it this fall? :-)

As to caliber, is this solely a deer hunting rifle? Or do you envision perhaps going west for elk? A 30-06, 308, or 300 Win mag would be plenty for whitetail but have applicability to other NA ungulates. A 270 would also serve you well for whitetails, but would be a bit light if you try for heartier species.

Savage is another great brand to look at. They make decent, budget friendly rifles and rifle/scope packages.

If you ever make it over to Kittery, ME, Kittery Trading Post has a huge selection of used guns to fondle. Might be worth taking a look.

Last edited:

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
Vermont allows rifle hunting for whitetails, and it is indeed a viable option. There are enough farms, former farms, and orchards that the deer like to graze between, that sometimes your best shot at them is across a field.

If you do get stuck in the woods with the rest of us public land hunters, a shotgun or bow is most definitely the appropriate choice. And if you happen to own enough property, mind if I come up and hunt it this fall? :-)

As to caliber, is this solely a deer hunting rifle? Or do you envision perhaps going west for elk? A 30-06, 308, or 300 Win mag would be plenty for whitetail but have applicability to other NA ungulates. A 270 would also serve you well for whitetails, but would be a bit light if you try for heartier species.

Savage is another great brand to look at. They make decent, budget friendly rifles and rifle/scope packages.

If you ever make it over to Kittery, ME, Kittery Trading Post has a huge selection of used guns to fondle. Might be worth taking a look.
Yeah, I'd love to say "Come on up!", but I don't have a ton of land, just over 4.5 acres and most of it is dense wood that I want to try and do 'something' with, but I really am not sure what yet. I suspect a good deal of it is somewhat marshy, there are a bunch of springs around the property, so I'm waiting to see what it looks like this spring and summer before making any concrete plans.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
First and foremost. Check your local laws.

Second..... thebruger american in 308 will take anything in north America. Reliable rifle, plenty of ammunition to choose from......

I haven't bought beef in six years and keep my freezer filled through hunting.

I also own a small custom ammo and gun smithing business. If you have any questions about the ruger american, feel free to send an email.....

DMHReloading@gmail.com

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
First and foremost. Check your local laws.

Second..... thebruger american in 308 will take anything in north America. Reliable rifle, plenty of ammunition to choose from......

I haven't bought beef in six years and keep my freezer filled through hunting.

I also own a small custom ammo and gun smithing business. If you have any questions about the ruger american, feel free to send an email.....

DMHReloading@gmail.com
Got any recommendations for the best out of the box rounds for the Ruger American? It's chambered in 30-06, and topped with Vortex Crossfire combo. I'll be after whitetails, probably 200 yard or less shots.

Looked at assembling a DIY combo with a Leupold Freedom, but didn't think it was worth the extra $200 over the Vortex.

Here's to hoping it doesn't kick like a mule. My dad tells horror stories about his Winchester Model 70 in 30-06, but then again, his is from the 70s and only had a metal butt plate.

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Got any recommendations for the best out of the box rounds for the Ruger American? It's chambered in 30-06, and topped with Vortex Crossfire combo. I'll be after whitetails, probably 200 yard or less shots.

Looked at assembling a DIY combo with a Leupold Freedom, but didn't think it was worth the extra $200 over the Vortex.

Here's to hoping it doesn't kick like a mule. My dad tells horror stories about his Winchester Model 70 in 30-06, but then again, his is from the 70s and only had a metal butt plate.
200 yards or less? Remington corelokt or federal no typical will take anything you go after.....

I like the federal a bit better

If you need more advi e at all shoot me an email
DMHReloading@gmail.com

More than happy to help

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
Floating down the whiskey river...
Anything in .308, 30-06, 30-30 .270 will do you good for distance.
Slug, 000 Buck, in shotgun as mentioned. 45-70 for a close distance brush rifle
Shotguns would seem unusually cruel, with a significant chance of injury without killing...
But when in thick woods the only opportunities are up close and personal.
A 45-70 is a good rifle alternate for thick, up close brush vs a shotgun.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

45-70 short barrel lever action is among the very best for brown bear protection. It can reach out a bit and has the necessary penetration energy.

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
Floating down the whiskey river...
45-70 short barrel lever action is among the very best for brown bear protection. It can reach out a bit and has the necessary penetration energy.
That it will. I just know alot of people also use it as their guide/brush gun as well because of its penetration energy, and not deflecting like a lighter round will do.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

But like mentioned earlier, rifles are not legal in a lot of regions as hunting takes place near populated areas. The range of a missed rifle shot becomes a safety issue.