Quantcast

Alrighty Snacks...

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
I've ordered it - it's on it's way - I hope it's as good as you described on our bike ride the other day....

The DaVinci Code :)

I also did some other Amazoniling and got
"My Antonia" by Willa Cather
"Their Eyes Were Watching God" by Zora Neale Hurston
"Zero: The Biography of a Dangerous Idea" by Charles Seife

I hope these are good. They should arrive just as I finish wrapping up "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand - I've read my copy of this so many times that I finally tore the binding :(...gonna have to buy a new copy.

What other books to peoples read?

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Heidi said:
I HAD to read My Antonia in high school - I think I fell asleep everytime I picked it up. :(

Uh oh....I really hope that's not the case...I didn't think about the individual who recommended it to me...she works at a state department of education... :think:

Oh well - I got it for $2 new...can't complain I guess :p

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Crap I should have lent you my copy of the Code. I was thinking on the way home last night that I need to bring it to you on the next ride :blah:

I just finished Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage. Great read. I thought it would be a really lame read....but it's an intense tale about history and human survival :thumb:

Oh, and I'll give you my copy of Nicholas Sparks, Three Weeks with My Brother. Another great non-fiction tale.

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
Amazoniling? Is this a medical disorder? If so, I caught it last night and now have:
"Crust & Crumb: Master Formulas For Serious Bakers"
"The Bread Baker's Apprentice: Mastering the Art of Extraordinary Bread"
"The Italian Baker"
and ....
"Baking With Julia: Based on the Pbs Series Hosted by Julia Child"
coming care of the big brown van. I'm planning a Coup on the Atkins crew. :p

Jr_Bullit said:
They should arrive just as I finish wrapping up "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand - I've read my copy of this so many times that I finally tore the binding :(...gonna have to buy a new copy.
OK, I'm officially scared of you. :think:

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
Snacks said:
Crap I should have lent you my copy of the Code. I was thinking on the way home last night that I need to bring it to you on the next ride :blah:

I just finished Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage. Great read. I thought it would be a really lame read....but it's an intense tale about history and human survival :thumb:

Oh, and I'll give you my copy of Nicholas Sparks, Three Weeks with My Brother. Another great non-fiction tale.
I got Endurance for Xmas one year - awesome book. Wish I would've gone to the exhibit they had at the Science Center a few years back.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Five said:
I got Endurance for Xmas one year - awesome book. Wish I would've gone to the exhibit they had at the Science Center a few years back.
I know this is totally nerdy but if you ever check out channel 9 they have a two hour show on it all with original film footage

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Snacks said:

Oh awesome! I love reading Nicholas Sparks....one of those can't put it down kinda authors...

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Okay - I'll add Endurance to next month's Amazon purchase :)

And yes - Amazoniling is my version of googling...except for books...

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Dan Brown is one of the worst writers ever!

Opie was going to reveal the details, but suddenly, he hit 'submit'!

Hungry_Hank

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
urban sprawl (orange county)
i had to read their eyes were watching god a few months ago for school. it was horrible. and the movie was just recently on abc, i think it was 2 sundays ago, it was even worse than the book! but the davinci code is great, if you like that read angels and demons, it was the book that dan brown wrote before he wrote davinci code. i think angels and demons was better anyways.

=[Stinky]=

I like bagels and turkey sandwiches
Sep 9, 2001
Atlanta YEAAAHHH!
Snacks said:

Another excellent read, I have been pretty fascinated by the whole shackleton expedition, and have read most of the books on it out there. Endurance was by far the best, quotes from the captians log, and many of the origional photos. You might not like it if your into Dan Brown and crappy fiction...

I actually became interesed in the whole thing after reading a Natl. Geographic story on the expedition. Ill see if I can dig up the issues if anyone is interested, Its probably a good 7 or 8 years old.

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
=[Stinky]= said:
Another excellent read, I have been pretty fascinated by the whole shackleton expedition, and have read most of the books on it out there. Endurance was by far the best, quotes from the captians log, and many of the origional photos. I actually became interesed in the whole thing after reading a Natl. Geographic story on the expedition. Ill see if I can dig up the issues if anyone is interested, Its probably a good 7 or 8 years old.
Fans of Antarctic lore will also enjoy "The Last Place on Earth" by Roland Huntford which chronicles the race to the south pole by the expeditions led by Amundsen (Norway) and Scott (England). After spending two months working in Antarctica and visiting some of the huts used by the original explorers I devoured all of the Antarctic literature I could get my hands on.