Quantcast

Alrighty who rides a Manitou Black fork and what do you think of it??

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Saw one the other day in the Performance Catalog for a really good price - so I was wondering what people think of their Manitou Black forks.

Which model do you have, what bike is it on, and how has it performed?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
MMcG said:
Saw one the other day in the Performance Catalog for a really good price - so I was wondering what people think of their Manitou Black forks.

Which model do you have, what bike is it on, and how has it performed?
I still have that used one I'll sell ya.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I was looking at the Black Elite 100/120 at Greenfishsport.com and also over at Performance.com (anyone got a performance coupon?)......they seem to be priced really great right now.

I think I'd want to steer clear of the newer SPV Blacks anyway. I had a fork with TPC+ briefly (X-Vert air) and really liked the way it felt. Could have been stiffer, but the damping of the TPC+ was real nice.

Westy, I PM'd you.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Had a 100mm one on an XC bike when the first came out, was a really nice fork (cutting edge at the time). Have had a 120mm one on my AC since 02... never had a problem. I know some heavy dudes (200+) that blew the seals on theirs, but mine has held up great.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
golgiaparatus said:
Had a 100mm one on an XC bike when the first came out, was a really nice fork (cutting edge at the time). Have had a 120mm one on my AC since 02... never had a problem. I know some heavy dudes (200+) that blew the seals on theirs, but mine has held up great.

Thanks Golgi - what model is your 120mm one? Super, Elite, etc?

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
MMcG said:
How would you rate it against a Psylo SL - assuming you'v spent time on a Psylo.
Similar actually. I like the dampening a little better on the black (02 model) but the Psylo has 10mm more travel and is a bit more harsh over the rough stuff.

EDIT: Psylo SL I dont know about... sorry

=[Stinky]=

I like bagels and turkey sandwiches
Sep 9, 2001
Atlanta YEAAAHHH!
PonySoldier said:
2003 Black 80/100 comp
My lowers seperated from the stanction tubes, I pulled up to manual a rythm section, and the wheel stayed on the ground and kept going with the lowers attached, and I feel off backwards. I rode the fork up pretty hard. I was DJing w/ it for a goot 5mo. I did regular maint too. Our good buddy Bobby in the warranty dept took care of it for me.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
DJ'ing with a Black? :nope:

I have a 2003 Black Comp 100/120 on the NRS. It has work flawlessly since day one. I have no complaints.

Also, if you buy it new, buy it from Greenfish. They are good guys and as close as you live to their shop, you should get it next day even though you only pay for ground shipping. They might even price match? I got everything next day when I was living near Albany.

DieselX

Monkey
May 26, 2004
New York City
Am I the only one who had a problem with this fork bottoming out too easily?

I had a 2003 Black Elite on my street hardtail and this fork was just too plush. I'm only 130lbs so I don't think theres any reason it couldn't handle me. Also, I'm not a rough rider, I ride smooth.

My friend had the same problem, but he said it was fixed with a heavier spring.

=[Stinky]=

I like bagels and turkey sandwiches
Sep 9, 2001
Atlanta YEAAAHHH!
DieselX said:
Am I the only one who had a problem with this fork bottoming out too easily?

-SNIP-

My friend had the same problem, but he said it was fixed with a heavier spring.

You just answered you own question. Im 160 and put the xtrafirm springs in for DJing

VA2SLOride

Monkey
Nov 12, 2003
San Luis Obispo, CA
....has worked out great for me so far....I have an '04 Black Super, 90/120, lockout, and rebound adjust. It's mounted on an On-One steel Inbread, and it works like a champ. Feels a little raked out on the frame when in the 120 position, but makes going down a little more fun. A little flexy for me personally, but I'm used to freeriding and predominantly use this for XC so it ain't no thang.

scott