Quantcast

Also, how off-road worthy is a Ford Explorer

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
As a followup, my cousin offered to sell me his 1991 Ford Explorer for $500. It is excellent condition, and I would like to use it for unmaintained and unimproved fireroads.

The tires look like off-road/pavement tires, and there looks like there is a foot of clearance.

How well would the Explorer handle off-road? I don't plan on entering the Baja, but if the suspension should be raised or better offroad tires are required, then I might pass on this super deal.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I assume you're talking about the gravel/dirt fireroads that the forrest service uses, if that's the case you're fine witha stock Explorer, 4wd would help, but not a deal breaker. Most of the "unmantained" roads are infact mantained by the forrest service so that big firetruck can get up them no problem, so you should be fine.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I have personally seen a mid 80's Honda Prelude drive an amazing distance down rocky-ass Arizona 4x4 track. I'm sure that the Explorer will be fine.

KaTooMer

Monkey
Feb 14, 2003
Illinois
Suspension is a little soft; not sure what kind of ground clearance they've got. I like my Chevy Blazer ZR2, 1980's-styled and all.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
People have no idea how far stock vehicles will go into the woods with some careful driving... We used to take my 1986 Toyota Camry pretty deep into the woods.

As long as the Explorer runs well, it should be fine for fireroads. If it doesn't have 4wd, you're going to have to be a little more careful about not putting it through deep mud or into really soft sand.

A come-along is a damn useful tool, too, in case you do get stuck!

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
For actual "offroading" as in NO ROAD its about as good as a minivan if its not 4x4. But, exploders are fine cars either way. $500, go for it.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
We are on our second explorer. Ditto on a lot of these comments. It will be fine until you get into real clearance true 4x4 situations. Also, no true granny gear. Part of it is just having the skill to know how to drive a really bad road and not hit the undercarriage, or how to line up your tires so you can cross really deep ruts. Your average soccer mom/golfer doesn't have a clue for that kind of driving, or they are afraid of chipping the paint. We haul a flat bed trailer with whitewater rafts on it all over the place and that includes a lot of primitive roads.

The only place we've ever had trouble was on the road into the Bruneau River where my husband broke the front end, but that's considered one of the worst whitewater shuttle roads in the nation.

Just be sure your tires aren't too soft.

geargrrl

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Well, the reason why I considered buying a 4wd is I took my Honda Accord up Union Flat Road in Downieville. First thing is my bike rack hit bottom and my VP-Free came off and bent the hanger. I had to crawl over ruts, loose rocks, and other obstacles; and pray that my car would survive.

But good points about normal cars surviving off road. The next day, we drove up a road in my friend's Toyota T100, up and down steeps, creek crossings, and generally sketchy terrain. When we finally stopped, we noticed a camper had gotten a 90's Cavalier up the same road we just drove!

Mostly, even if the Exploder rolls over on its first drive, at least it is only $500. I like the idea of another auto taking the abuse all vehicles suffer thru in Downieville.