Quantcast

Alternating between ride & weights

ET_SoCal

Monkey
Aug 10, 2001
C-Me Valley, CA
During lunchtime at work I’m fortunate to have a weight room, showers, lockers & trails just outside the door, so the past few years I’ve been on this schedule:
Upper body weight lifting for 35 minutes followed by sit-ups for 25min, Monday, Wednesday & Friday.
Steep uphill climbing for 45 minutes & fast fireroad DH back down for 15, Tuesday & Thursday.
3 or 4 hour Mtb ride Sat or Sun.

While the first two years I’d noticed strength improvement & faster climbing, but the past 6 months or so I haven’t felt any improvements. I tired increasing the weights, or decreasing the weight & more reps.

So maybe it’s the workout itself? I know there’s all kinds of different arm/back/shoulder/etc workouts, but I’ve settled into the one’s that I feel help me the most.
Any ideas?

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Hmmm, 6 months?:eek:

Maybe you have reached a plateau? It is odd that even after varying the weights and reps you noticed no change.

Originally posted by ET_SoCal
During lunchtime at work I’m fortunate to have a weight room, showers, lockers & trails just outside the door, so the past few years I’ve been on this schedule:
Upper body weight lifting for 35 minutes followed by sit-ups for 25min, Monday, Wednesday & Friday.
Steep uphill climbing for 45 minutes & fast fireroad DH back down for 15, Tuesday & Thursday.
3 or 4 hour Mtb ride Sat or Sun.

you neglect weight training your legs. I know it's hard - with riding every other day but you should try to get it in once a week.

also you probably aren't giving your bigger muscles a chance to recover - ie: chest needs more than 2 days (generally).

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by MtnBikerChk
you neglect weight training your legs. I know it's hard - with riding every other day but you should try to get it in once a week.

also you probably aren't giving your bigger muscles a chance to recover - ie: chest needs more than 2 days (generally).
Ooooh, good catch, I didn't see that he was only lifting upperbody when I first red it.

Lower body is VERY important for riding. You need stength in your legs big time! I do MOSTLY legs and back with a little arms.

ET_SoCal

Monkey
Aug 10, 2001
C-Me Valley, CA
Forgot to mention I commute 4 miles every day (that's a little bit of leg work huh?) and I'll commonly do two set's of Leg Extensions & Curl's too, (but not always).
Does my body measurements help?:
Upper Arms: 13.5
Chest: 41
Waist: 36
Hips: 40
Thighs: 24
Calfs: 16
Now if I can ever get an accurate/correct body fat calculation, the most recient electonic one gave me an 18.6 %

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by ET_SoCal
Forgot to mention I commute 4 miles every day (that's a little bit of leg work huh?) and I'll commonly do two set's of Leg Extensions & Curl's too, (but not always).
Does my body measurements help?:
Upper Arms: 13.5
Chest: 41
Waist: 36
Hips: 40
Thighs: 24
Calfs: 16
Now if I can ever get an accurate/correct body fat calculation, the most recient electonic one gave me an 18.6 %
I would think you would want to focus more on legs for riding strength. Squats are awesome for building riding power.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
The most powerful road biker in my area does leg strength training 3 times per week off season and 1 or 2 times during the season. I can match his speed on the flats and blow past him downhill (he is kind of timid at speeds over 35 or so) but he simply blows me away on the hills... I don't do any sort of weights at all and get what leg strength I have from running and cycling.

You did not mention your height or weight, without that your other measurements don't really connect.

What are your goals? The same distance but just faster? If that is the goad your plateau will come pretty fast. Maybe you should try for the same speed but for longer distances?

Example: I ran the Great Columbia crossing 10K in 2001 in 47 minutes; in 2002 I did it in 44 minutes - an improvement of just 6% in the space of one year. A 10K is 6.2 miles.

In May 2002 I ran a marathon in 04:18; in Decemeber 02 I ran a marathon in 03:42 an improvement of 14% in just 7 months.

I think if you pushed yourself farther you would notice the difference again.

ET_SoCal

Monkey
Aug 10, 2001
C-Me Valley, CA
Originally posted by Serial Midget
... get what leg strength I have from running and cycling.
I get my leg strength from cycling only.
You did not mention your height or weight...[/B]
69" 185lbs (45 years old - I think that makes a difference)
What are your goals? The same distance but just faster? If that is the goad your plateau will come pretty fast. Maybe you should try for the same speed but for longer distances?[/B]
Um... Good question here: I gotta really think about that.
... ran a marathon in 03:42 [/B]
I was a runner years ago, ran a few LA marathons, best I did was a 3:58, but few (non runners) realizew how much that improvement is you made!
I think if you pushed yourself farther you would notice the difference again. [/B]
{Sigh} wait until you pass 40 & let's talk again :oink:

mgy

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
Morrison
I have read many studies that say masters men (over 30 basically) and all ages of women have trouble keeping muscle mass when they stop lifting. Try lifting for for base strength in the fall (3-5 sets of 8-12 reps) max power in the winter (3-5 sets of 5-8 reps) and explosive speed in the spring (plyos or lifting explosively, seak a trainer or coach for this) and maintain your winter gains by lifting once a week throughout your season (except for weeks you plan on peaking for).

This is a very condensed version of this, you really ought to seek out a coach for this or at least read a good book on training and periodization.

Gene