Quantcast

alternative to eBay?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
http://www.uniqueauction.com/index.php?ref=71

just read about this in today's paper...interesting business concept. items sell at a fraction of their true value (for instance, a $1500 laptop guaranteed to sell for no more than $30), but each bid costs money ($2), and the winner of the auction is the one which has the highest unique bid. so if 100 people bid $30, the results will look for bids less than that amount, that only one person submitted a bid. so if you were the sole bidder @ $29.11, and that was the highest unique bid, you win the item.

in this respect it's more a strategy game than an auction, and you can see where automated bidding tools would come in very handy (platinum members who pay an annual $100 fee get access to features which regular members don't). might be too complicated for your average schmoe looking to buy old issues of national geographic, but it does have promise.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i think it's aimed at gamblers and people who like digging for bargains. if you think you can get a $1000 tv for $50, it's for you. i checked some of the auctions and there are plenty of people bidding. seems to be a decent business model.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
2006 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R $14,699.99 $148.47 01 May 06 19:30:00 3070 BIDS

I mean, I'd love to win some of that stuff, but wow, you'd have to bid on EVERYTHING just for a random chance at winning even one thing.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Alternative to eBay???

Craig's List classifieds.

Email the seller, go pick up the item, that's it. No shipping, and you usually get something for WAY less than eBay.

I recently picked up an Epson printer that goes on eBay for $200 for FREE. Picked it up at lunch time.

Screw eBay, I'm way to sick of getting sniped anyway.