alternatives to FR560

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Alloy only?
open to carbon
I have a odd feelings about them.
I have a set of reynolds/i9 on my AM bike, I have mistreated them and I don't think about them at all while riding.
If I didn't have as much going on right now maybe I would consider buying the Reynolds Bernard Kerr setup. But 2g is a lot of cash....
but a lifetime warranty is pretty sweet..............
On the other hand some LB rims can be had for 200$ probably made in the same shop as DERBY, but they scare me I don't want to fail a front wheel and go on my head. I have been there and done that.
when I look at the santacruz reserve wheels, or derbys i think shit 400-500$ for basically the same stuff that LB sells for 200

anyways do you have any suggestions?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I truly believe the recent crop of DT heavy-use rims are some of the best rim options we've ever had.
The FR560 and FR570 are great rims. EX471 and EX511 which I don't have a tonne of experience with also seem good for their weight class. Could be a good option for the front, personally I'd keep them on an AM / trail bike, but I know a few people running them for DH also. I prefer being able to smash the FRs and get a good long lifespan from them.

After a few lift seasons on various brand rims I found those DT ones from the last few years stay straighter and are harder to dent than Mavic / Sun / Alex options of past, and obviously the earlier DT butter stuff.

Carbon isn't a valid consideration in my book but I run lowish pressures and as a result the rims take near-direct physical impacts semi regularly. Same reason I don't like carbon cranks as I smash them directly into rocks regularly. You may be different. I've heard mixed results on the LBs and everything else is a bit of a rip.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Dt swiss are good options. I'd also recommend spanks. They might not be the widest out there, hut they are a solid option. I have spank oozys which I like. They have some quirks (the oobah rim profile can be a bit tricky to tape for tubeless), and some people aren't crazy about the decals veibe under a clear coat (non removable). I'd be curious to try the virbrocore rims. I have virbrocore bars and they seem to deliver on the claims.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
If you wanna look at carbon, I'd suggest We Are One. On par for price with the SC reserve, lifetime warranty, made in Canada. I've been on carbon wheels for a while, and if I was in the market for new carbon rims now thats what I'd go for.

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
I've had good results with LB rims on both my DH bike (DH layup, 32H = 440g) and XC/Enduro bike (Enduro layup, 28H = 370-ish g).

FWIW, these are 26", run tubeless, and the rear rim on the DH bike is on a 7 speed specific hub... so wider spacing between flanges = stronger wheel.

The small bike wheels were built by LB, and I've been riding them for over a year, so I can also recommend their building skills if you want nice but fairly standard hubs and spokes.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
I truly believe the recent crop of DT heavy-use rims are some of the best rim options we've ever had.
The FR560 and FR570 are great rims. EX471 and EX511 which I don't have a tonne of experience with also seem good for their weight class. Could be a good option for the front, personally I'd keep them on an AM / trail bike, but I know a few people running them for DH also. I prefer being able to smash the FRs and get a good long lifespan from them.

After a few lift seasons on various brand rims I found those DT ones from the last few years stay straighter and are harder to dent than Mavic / Sun / Alex options of past, and obviously the earlier DT butter stuff.

Carbon isn't a valid consideration in my book but I run lowish pressures and as a result the rims take near-direct physical impacts semi regularly. Same reason I don't like carbon cranks as I smash them directly into rocks regularly. You may be different. I've heard mixed results on the LBs and everything else is a bit of a rip.
Ive already got a set of FR1950, which uses the FR570 rims on DT 240? classics
I do think they are good but.......................
via Imgflip Meme Generator

the new FR560 look pretty sweet, but super similar to my 570s
they have an E532, which only weighs 15g less than the 560, so similar that im not sure why they make that rim???
the EX511 looks cool 60g lighter but its lacking the eyelets of the 560 and 532. Not sure that I should care, but I totally do.

Re pressures 23-24 in the front, 30-34 rear with minions. Being able to smash into things without a care is a big part of what makes a DH bike a DH bike.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
looks like lots of racers run 471 and 511 rims,
and that the eyelets are on cheaper rims, with PHR washers on the top of the line jobs.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
i went from 26” ex500s, which i smased into things for years, to 27.5” ex471s, which have been great for smashing into things so far. dhfs front and rear with double doen casings. pressures mid-20s.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
i went from 26” ex500s, which i smased into things for years, to 27.5” ex471s, which have been great for smashing into things so far. dhfs front and rear with double doen casings. pressures mid-20s.
This is in full down hill use?
2.3 or 2.5 tires?
The 471 is 25mm internal the 511 is 30 and im leaning that way

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
This is in full down hill use?
2.3 or 2.5 tires?
The 471 is 25mm internal the 511 is 30 and im leaning that way
i use them on my nomad, which i use for everything...i’d say for full on dh only, and if you want a little wider ID (which can’t hurt, since so many maxxis tires are WT nowadays) you can’t go wrong with the 511s.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Also looking at race face arc 30, which.... Im not a fan of race face, but these are really easton rims, not sure they are stronger than the 511, but the offset will help with the hubs im using.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
Rode the Arc27 raceface on a trail bike for half a season & toasted the rear, and banged up the front a bit. Have only killed a WTB and these in the last 8 years.

For me, much less durable, not even comparable, to the ex471. The lighter trail version (XM) from DT was much more durable than the RF for me...

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Rode the Arc27 raceface on a trail bike for half a season & toasted the rear, and banged up the front a bit. Have only killed a WTB and these in the last 8 years.

For me, much less durable, not even comparable, to the ex471. The lighter trail version (XM) from DT was much more durable than the RF for me...
Much appreciated.
Back to Ex511

commencaldh

Jeremy Hottinger
Apr 26, 2015
Spank Spike Race 33?
I have the EX511s and they have been bombproof so far and feel nicely stiff laterally.