Quantcast

Altitude Adjustment

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
When I lived in Colorado I missed the trees and the greenery of the Eastern Woodlands. I've been back a long time, but now find that sometimes I miss unobstructed views. They're not easy to come by here on the east coast. Lately I've gotten the itch, and today I got a chance to scratch it. I also got to ride some singletrack that I rarely visit.

Business before pleasure though. The ride opened with a 10 mile climb, mostly on jeep trail and dirt road. Hardly inspiring, but I needed the exercise.

And the payoff is worth it. Driving: 2.5 hours. Climbing: 1.25 hours. The view: priceless. Just what the doctor ordered.

Its not the altitude, but what you can see from it that counts.

I'd noticed on the way up that there was a descending section where I was flinging mud all over the place. I remember thinking that I could get a fun pic if I'd had some company. On the way back down this same section was a climb, and it was a fine line between going fast enough to clear the mud from the tires without blowing up and bogging down, or just plain bogging down without the blowing up part. I was unable to walk that line.

As usual, I was alone, so self portraits on the timer were the name of the game. Here's some classic southeastern bench cut. Dupont SF has a rep for doubletrack and lots of traffic. Not from where I stand though.

From the top of Pinnacle Mtn I bombed all the way down to Lake Julia. Didn't feel like wading so I returned the way I came down, but there is a ford across the creek down there that leads to more single track. There's also this bridge, ready to drop at the slightest touch. Its a tourist trap. "Hey Marge, a bridge! We can cross here without getting our feet wet!!!"

Heading for the barn. What's this white chit? Snow? WTF??? SNOW!!!???? I knew I should have run my studded tires today. I felt just like splat, only warmer. :)

And some random sort of artsy shots.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Pretty nice pics. Yes, I live for views too. I love to get to the top of mtns, or ridges and gaze down below. Nice job!

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
outstanding! Thanks for sharing.

Yeah, the views here are awesome, but I miss the super green from back east, especially when I lived in NC.

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
It was a beautiful day out there yesterday. This time of year you can actually see through the woods. Bummed me out that there was no one with me, because there were a bunch of opportunities to take pics of riders through the trees. That's pretty rare. East coast singletrack always looks tight because that's the only way to photograph it usually. But this time of year you've got sight lines and can see that its a lot more wide open than you'd expect.

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
johnbryanpeters said:
OK, Neither Pinnacle Mountain nor Lake Julia are sufficient for a fix. Where the hell were you ridiing?
That's it. I had to be back in Cola by 5 so I couldn't justify the extra 45 minutes or so of driving up to Pisgah. I didn't even have time for my traditional blast up Cedar Rock on the slickrock.

But like I said, "Its not the altitude, but what you can see from it that counts." :)