Quantcast

Aluminum for DJ?

civilian

Chimp
Aug 16, 2003
So I am trying really hard to narrow down my choices for a new DJ/Street/Trail frame. I have been looking at:

Black Mrkt MOB
Sinster DNA
Evil Sovereign
Evil Imperial
.243 SL

I am having real trouble narrowing down the field. All seem like really nice frames.

So. My question is: What do you guys think of an aluminum bike for this application? I've seen people riding them (Aaron Chase, Dave Smutok, Cam Zink....) but am unsure of the advantages they offer, if any. Stiffness? Weight?

Price is not a huge issue for me, but if I'm gonna spend a bit of coin, I want to make sure that I get something I'm happy with.

Any comments would be appreciated. Especially if they are based on EXPERIENCE.
Would I be better

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
weight is usually less, and more often than not they are just as strong just not as god at repetative hits. I rode a yeti prototype hardtail for almost 2 years and then the production last season and never had a problem (the proto frame was what they used on the stress test machine and the headtube ripped off, so they welded it back on and it went strong for almost 2 seasons).
this season i am on a dna (should be here in ten minutes, can see the ups driver!!!) and have no doubts about it.

civilian

Chimp
Aug 16, 2003
Let me know how the dna rides. It looks great and is definitely one of my top choices.

What colour did you get?

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
my DNA with Vs, adjustable drops, and Thomson post for $550 shipped, cough.

--edit--

i might be blowing smoke out of my ass, but the 3 rides on my DNA compared to the handful on my DOC have yielded that the DNA felt more comfortable as a street machine, rather than a trail machine, when compared to my DOC. i don't know why, exactly. it just did. same build.

skajumper

Chimp
Mar 22, 2005
Yeah, id say go for whatever. Steel is definately stronger but with an aluminium frame thats designed for dirt jumping it will be strong enough any way or else they wouldnt make it. And unless you plan on doing drops the likes of which would make a grown man cry, then id be pretty sure you wont break it. Oh and also, most other parts on the bike will break before the frame will. Yes, i know.... i broke almost every other part on my old bike aside from the frame.... Yessss getting my new bike soon....

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
although the DNA, and imperial are good choices, I'd go with either the Black Mrkt Mob, or the.243sl. They've got incredible geomatry, and can be set up several different ways. From personal experience, I've been very impressed with steel since switching from Aluminum. The ride quality is assume for dj, and street. Its stiff and strong, yet has a little bit of forgiveness for cased landings, and flat landings. Although, I don't see a frame like the DNA or Imperial snapping, because of the incredible craftsmanship, The reassurances of steel is always a Plus. I don't really see any of the choices you mentioned being weeker then another, expcept for the Sovereign, the cost is much too high for a steel hardtail, It just isn't worth the money.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
well i just got back from my second ride on my smurf blue sinsiter, and granted I am sponsored by them but this is by far the best riding hardtail i have ever been on. built up with all the parts from my old bike (nycfreeride stuff was shipped to my house, and diety is still in production. but i took it for a street ride yesterday and then went dj with it, instantly hitting all our big lines, then i took it up to our dh bike jumps and had a blast, its about an inch and a half longer than my short yeti dj (this frame is a medium) which makes it very stable and awesome for doing 180's and 360's and pretty much anything in the air. the extra length makes tailwhips harder but its something that will come eventually. the welds are amazing, great beads and the paint is awesome its like a rough light blue powercoat that lamost looks and feels anodized its awesome. the bike is low compared to the yeti which makes manuals a breeze and adds to its stability. the drop out system is ****ing awesome also make setting it up ss so easy even my mom could do it. the cc work on the headtube, bb shell, isgs mounts, and seat stays and chainstays looks so beautiful. the bike looks really slick in pictures when its being ridden (cant publish them on here without permission yet) but it looks stunning. anyone is welcome to check out my 3 sinisters if they run into me anytime. I am seriously impressed

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
ps if your looking for an all around bike, the imperial and the sinister ridge would be your best bets esp if you can get the LL version from evil. the ridge and the imperial have both recieved rave reviews all over the net and in magazines. both very versatile with 2 wheellsets and an adjustable fork

civilian

Chimp
Aug 16, 2003
Any idea on the weight of the DNA frame? It's not too big of a deal but I only weigh about 140lbs and would like something in the five pound range if I can get it. That being said, I don't want the frame to snap.....

So right now I have futher been thinking more about alu. Just a little more pop under acceleration. Anyone used the Imperial for jumping and street? How heavy does it feel?

civilian

Chimp
Aug 16, 2003
One more thing. Does anyone know what colors the DNA is available in this year? I've checked out the website and it sayd orange, blue, black and white, but I've seen Smutok riding a silver and grey one that looks amazing. If I could get that color......oh man. Anyone know?

I know it's superficial but yeah. Just thought I'd ask.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
only coloras available to the general public are the ones listed above. those dna's were done to match the jerseys and team logos of last season but i do agree it looks sick. the blue is absolutely stunning Im in love. i didnt weight the frame but with the parts from my old frame listed below it weighted 27.5 lbs
d3.1 rims with comp spokes and gold nipps on hadley hubs bolt through
custom sherman jumper windown travel 120-60
avid juicy 5 rear brake
big ass bmx chain
16tooth rear cog spacers and a 36tooth truavtiv front with 36tooth e13 bashguard
holzfellar cranks with heavy race face bb
thomson post with a bent next (kmart bike) seat
holz oversize stem and bar
headlock
tubeless holly rollers
king headset with carbon fiber spacers
easton cully pedals

my guess is the frame weights around 6.2 or so.

this bike is so stiff and accelerates the second you tap the pedals. also you really need a short fork for street riding on this bike to get the full effect of its handeling. 80-100 is money and then crank it up to 120 or whatnot for trail riding

civilian

Chimp
Aug 16, 2003
Yeah, I would be running an 04 Z1 FR QR20. Technically five inches but run with zero preload it sits like an inch and a half into its travel so it shouldn't mess with the HA too much.

If I get the frame I think I'll get it in blue or orange. It's now down to the DNA or the Imperial (in that blue they showed at Interbike). Tough choice.....

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
currently i ride a kona roast xl. Its aluminum and its taken a ton of abuse and it handles great on all sizes of dirt jumps. I've had it for two years and i havent been able to phase it yet. I definitly wouldnt expect anyone to buy it from me either though... lol....

I'll probably ride it until i can save up enough cash to get one of my friends custom hand built chromoly hardtails. the company is Simple bike co. and i am stocked to get one of his frames. I like the roast frame enough, although they replaced it with the cowan this year.