Quantcast

Aluminum hardtail advice...

mtnbike247

Chimp
Oct 16, 2003
Macomb, MI
I'm looking for a new hardtail, and really have my eye on the Giant XTC1. I think its a sweet bike, I like everything about it. Nothing from Trek, Fisher, Klein, Cannondale, Specialized really excites me. (That I can afford that is a hardtail)

I was told to check out the Titus as well, but for what I want I was pleased with the Giant XTC1.

Anyone have anything to say about the XTC1, good or bad? I'd appreciate a little feedback.

Thanks!

Drew360

Chimp
Nov 4, 2003
California
i like to know that my hardtail frame will last thats why my next frame will be the SANTA CRUZ CHAMELEON!!! the best hardtail on the planet:D

Jesus

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
Louisville, KY
I really like the Banshee Scirroco. About a pound heavier than most hardtails (4.2 lbs to be exact), but durability isn't something you will ever need to worry about.

fasterTHANyou

Monkey
Dec 12, 2003
washington dc
what kind of budget are we talking about? all the bikes you listed have some pretty exciting models at decent price points... i will admit i am more than a little biased toward cannondale... hand welded frames in the good old USA, stellar warrenty service from everything i've heard. shop for the frame first. a good hardtail frame will last you forever and you can have fun switching around the parts :D

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I have a 2003 Giant XtC 1 frame and I really like it. Like someone said - the top XtC model for 04 has a carbon rear stays, something that is more chi chi than needed.

My advise is to buy the frame and build it yourself - it only costs $400.00 at full retail and weighs right around 3LBS. With the integrated headset a medium frame weighs 3.25LBS - I weighed that myself.

I built mine with full XT, Thomson stem and post, Odi grips, Avid 185s - I cheaped on the initial wheel set and got Rynolites XLs with XT disk hubs. Some heavy stuff there but the bike still weighs just over 26LBS with SID Race fork. My tires are freebies - beaded Panaracer XC Pros - tanks. :monkey:

This month I'm getting USTs, still keeping the heavy Avids but going with Mavic X3.1, XTs and Continental Vertical Pros. This alone will drop 2.5LBS and be well under 24LBS. Not bad for a 185mm mechanical disk XT equiped hardtail.

The frame will come with a headset adaptor - I'm not fond of integrated headsets, I used a standard Chris King.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by Carbon Fetish
Go with an '03 XTC 2 because the '04 XTC have an aluminum front and a carbon rear plus they cost more. Check out the Motobecane Fly team. $1695 MSRP will get you a 18" sub race hardtail. You can get one cheap at www.bikesdirect.com

I like everything except the wheel build and tire choice, I don't see a lot of durability there. With the DA chain and Ultegra cassette ( 12-27 :eek: ) this smells like a single season racer. You just can't beat the price though.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Originally posted by Serial Midget
I like everything except the wheel build and tire choice, I don't see a lot of durability there. With the DA chain and Ultegra cassette ( 12-27 :eek: ) this smells like a single season racer. You just can't beat the price though.

I don't understand, you think that for some reason ultegra casettes are any different than XT cassettes? they come from the same bin.

XC racers by and large prefer a tight casette if they run a triple in the front, you get a better spread of gears without the unusable 30 and 34 tooth cogs.

Carbon Fetish

Monkey
May 6, 2002
Irvine, CA
Originally posted by SuspectDevice
I don't understand, you think that for some reason ultegra casettes are any different than XT cassettes? they come from the same bin.

XC racers by and large prefer a tight casette if they run a triple in the front, you get a better spread of gears without the unusable 30 and 34 tooth cogs.
It is so Motobecane uses the Ultegra cassette for weight savings and so they can say we have the lightest bike (sub 20 lbs) for the lowest MSRP $1695

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande

Yes! Fewer teeth and less weight overall, but quality and strength? No, they be the same.

My point was 12/27... damn, I would at least like a 32 for climbing. Most guys DO NOT race and could use a few more teeth for climbing. I did Mt St Helens with some guys this year - doing that epic with a 27 would not have been pleasant. :dead:

Anyhow, as already mentioned it was done for weight. Between the Ultegra cassette and DA chain they shaved just enough weight to get under 20 LBS - I have no problem with that.

Is a DA chain any lighter than an XTR? I've prefer PC99s so I don't know. :monkey:

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown

great light frame, ok off the shelf racer. If i was buying all new i'd try to score a frame on ebay for $400 then build it myself and put a sid upfront all xt and some ti to top it off, that would make this badboy light.

Topaz

Chimp
Jul 6, 2002
Woodland Hills
You must not have many hills in MA. I use my 34 all the time. Especially on the 4th lap.

Originally posted by Topaz
You must not have many hills in MA. I use my 34 all the time. Especially on the 4th lap.
Oh, they have hills in Mass. My guess is it's a macho thing. Me, I live in Maine and am glad I have a 34 to use. Without it, I'd still be out there somewhere, frozen hard in a fetal position with coyotes hangin around waitin for the January Thaw. And forget the 4th lap, the 1st lap sounds like a good spot to use it IMO. They can't make a gear too low for me.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by CRUM
Oh, they have hills in Mass. My guess is it's a macho thing. Me, I live in Maine and am glad I have a 34 to use. Without it, I'd still be out there somewhere, frozen hard in a fetal position with coyotes hangin around waitin for the January Thaw. And forget the 4th lap, the 1st lap sounds like a good spot to use it IMO. They can't make a gear too low for me.
no what he was saying was that by using a triple up front w/ the 12/27 you basically get the same gear ratios for the most part. a 22/27 is a pretty small gear, if you have problems uphill w/ that gear (i'm by no means a climber but know enough) then you are in trouble and might as well be walking your bike (in a race situation).

anyways back to the aluminum bike. there are TONS of bikes to be had at many different levels that are made out of aluminum. you need to first look at how much you want to send, and what you honestly intend to use the bike for and then figure out what you want to do.