Quantcast

Always tipping to the left when I jump

kuksul08

Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
I have a VP Free but my question is specifically about dirt jumping (I was doing a little bit of it today).

What always seems to happen to me, is I go off the jump, usually the steep dirt-jump style, and mid air I tend to always lean to the left and I can't help it. My front wheel is straight, but my whole body and bike tips about 20 degrees from center.
Then when I land, it's really awkward and I have to turn left into the lean to prevent from falling.

This also happens when I am dirtbiking off MX style jumps so it has to be my technique.

Is there a special technique you guys used to stay centered off the jump, or is there a technique to straighten the big mid air?

I seem to get tense and have no control mid air..I just hold on don't really move other than lifting/pushing the front tire.

Phew...thanks for input or related experiences :) This is really bugging me (and my confidence)

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
like he said just do something, even if it's just turning your wheel, for some reason it works...

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
get a lot lower and bend your knees. center your weight a little behind your cranks, not over your bars. dont hold your grips real tight. the looser and more comfortable you are the more natural you'll jump. if you are tense, the jump will buck you weird.

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
Sometimes its just your hand placement. I had a little trouble in my younger years and it was because I was biased to one side of my bike. I'm a wierdo, sorry. But, the tense thing can be an issue as well. When you relax enough to do tricks and you are thinking about that it takes your mind off other things and you just react.

kuksul08

Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
Haha yea the rocks sound like a good idea.

Alright next time I try I am going to slam the seat and try to really loosen up. I'm guessing that I should turn the wheel to the left if I want to straighten out?

(It's kinda sad...I've had my bike for a year and gone on less than 20 rides...I'm still not completely comfortable on it)

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
you can also let the bike lean if u can bring it back before u land, think about flattys it doesnt necessarily matter how retarded u are in the air if u can learn to bring it back. (i had this problem with whips on accident) i would just lean opposite and put it right before i landed.

kuksul08

Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
I think I just get scared mid air haha.

My tires have 30psi front and 35psi rear...maxxis minion dh tires

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Sounds like fear, and I would know. I have a VERY annoying problem: I can't jump hardtails. Like not even to save my life. And even on the fully, I can't clear a stright up, no frills, small gap. I can do high speed 40' gaps, and I can kick ass on really techy, sketchy jumps, and I have no problems at all on hips. I think I just must have this fear of either just casing or nose casing, as I've gotten hurt doing both. And Ironically... when you're scared of crashing...you crash. I've found I'm better on jumps that have other jumps behind them, as in, I can focus on getting to each next jump, so I completely space off the one I'm on. But when I get to the last jump in a line...I screw it up. I blame my issues on age filled with bad experiences and dumb ideas, mixed with fear and inexperience. It doesn't help that we have **** jumps. Building my own this year. Somehow everyone here thinks "DJs" should be 3' tall and vertical, with flat, laid down trannys 15 feet away!

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
I also found I **** up jumps that I have to sprint at or that I'm always in fear of not having enough speed for. Try building a jump with a roll in that is matched just right, then you can start working on pumping out of? I'm just guessing here, as I have similar issues anddo kind of the same thing when I "pull" up out of a jump, worried about casing.

Mar 10, 2005
Santa Cruz/Sacramento, Ca
I also found I **** up jumps that I have to sprint at or that I'm always in fear of not having enough speed for. Try building a jump with a roll in that is matched just right, then you can start working on pumping out of? I'm just guessing here, as I have similar issues anddo kind of the same thing when I "pull" up out of a jump, worried about casing.
Pedaling up to DJs is complete balls and a total mindtrip. That's probably the easiest way for me to get psyched out of any type of jump. But, to be honest, I almost always feel like I'm hitting jumps with too little speed until I stick the tranny and pump out. It's scary, but I guess you just have to get used to the uncertainty.

But yeah, because I like repeating things: Definitely relax. I've noticed that this has even helped with street moves like hops to manuals and spins. Don't hold on tight and move your weight a bit further back as you loosen your grip on the bars. Feel the bike move and then react to that. I have this problem where I always boost and then case hits when I get really nervous. It's all about just relaxing and working with the jumps and not against them.

kuksul08

Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
Wow yea thrillseeka I totally agree. I have no problem hitting high speed jumps that are less steep, and usually if I can see the landing I have no problem with fear. It's the very steep ones that psych me out pretty bad

kuksul08

Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
I'm thinking now maybe the wind was contributing to it. It was gusting very strong to the right...idk

SDG

Chimp
May 24, 2007
Maybe it's a bit weird, but the rebound setting on your fork can be allso the cause of the problem. If it's to fast you will be trown out of balance when you leave the lip.

Cheers S.

kuksul08

Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
Maybe it's a bit weird, but the rebound setting on your fork can be allso the cause of the problem. If it's to fast you will be trown out of balance when you leave the lip.

Cheers S.
Hmm interesting. I have very little rebound so it's responsive on the DH. Maybe I should turn it up a few clicks for dj..