Quantcast

Always walk on the Sunnyside.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I haven't been stoked on some stuff I've taken in a long-ass time, so allow me to gush...we call this place the slaughterhouse, even though it's a locker room.

Take it to Ridefoto, noob!

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Carrot Top?

2nd to last was my fav. I am guessing you did some hella PS.
The second to last is an HDR shot, though I tried to keep it subtle...I tried bracketing+blending, and then tried the blending options Photomatix offers and just couldn't get it to turn out. HDR looked the best to keep the windows from getting blown all to hell.

edit: Sunnyside Coal Mine, btw.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Cool stuff! Show some pics of the mine.

And smile fer chrissakes.
I have no idea where the actual mine entrace is/was. We scoured, but trudging through 3 feet of snow made things hard. Wherever it was, it's not obvious.

That's not me, 'tis my partner in crime when it comes to abandoned buildings. I can't imagine him without the hair...that would be like cutting off a portion of his soul, I fear.

I'd bring a model down and blast away with a few strobes in the shower, but it's about 3 hours away from Salt Lake. :(

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
AFAIK the baskets were used in the interest of space conservation - workers would throw their crap in the baskets after changing, and raise it to the ceiling using the pulleys mounted to the ceiling, tying off the rope on the eyehooks on the rails you see below. This is all conjecture, of course.

I'm going to assume the demise of the mine (Sometime around 1994 - those were the last calendars I saw lying around) came when the nearby Sunnyside coal-fired power plant started buying their coal from somewhere else, or the vein they were mining ran out. I need to do some googling and see where the mine entrance was. We drove up the canyon the buildings reside in apiece to see if there was an entrance farther up the road, but it soon turned to dirt (mud) in about a half mile, and I didn't feel like calling a tow truck into the middle of nowhere when I got stuck.

Deeply rural America is a different place, at least for a suburban white kid like myself. One of the few places a non-descript white VW hatchback will stick out like a sore thumb. We got pulled over for no apparent reason in one podunk town...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
the first one is great (excellent exposure for the ceiling tiles), and i like the HDR one too...the cables almost look like dripping water. good stuff.