Quantcast

Always weak?

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
This summer, for the first time, I have always felt really weak during XC rides.

I used to train and race pro DH and while occasionally I felt tired during a ride, many many rides I felt great and was able to attack. 2 summers ago was my last year racing and now I ride to have fun. Other than some irregular winter gym time my summer routine is about the same. I usually ride XC 2-3 times a week. My rides are never shorter than 1 hr but not over 2 hours and range from 5-12 miles. I have replaced DH shuttles with moto and when I can't find the time to ride at all I jump on my pump track for a few minutes.

I can not remember the last XC ride I did where I was fresh and had enough strength to attack.

What gives?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
First guess would be something nutritional... not enough cals available for energy, or more likely, not hydrated. Are you eating before you ride? Drinking during?

Other thing is it's your mind giving in, not your body. For most people, muscles will get tired before the mind does, but once the mind knows muscles are tired, it's ready to throw in the towel. Maybe you've gotten yourself into a bit of a rut, where your body will only go for 1 hour at a time? Gotta just push through that.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Good points.

I don't drink enough water and I don't eat like an athlete. I don't eat fast food and lots of greasy foods, but I know I don't eat like its fuel. However these things haven't changed from a few years ago. But maybe something else is compounding this problem that is new?????

I feel weak from the beginning of the ride to the end. There are uphills I used to be able to climb I walk now.

Now I will say this. It has been unusually hot this summer and very humid. Last night's ride it was 93 and very high humidity.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Setting appointment today. I took off 4 days and the result was the same yesterday. No matter what I do all my rides feel like my worst rides. Used to be I only had a a bad ride occasionally and usually after 4-5 days of heavy racing/riding. Not now.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Yeah, probably for the best. You could have mono or something. A buddy of mine had the same thing happen (really slow recovery) and they found out that he had to get a heart valve repaired due to a congenital condition.