Quantcast

AM/FR Covert Fork options

kzuma

Chimp
Apr 24, 2007
I'm planning on building an AM/light freeride covert, but i'm not sure what fork to use. Right now im thinking about a talas 32 or a AM1, but i want some opinions. i'm pretty lightweight (140lbs)

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Having had a Covert for a while, IMO, the bike really shines best with 150-160mm fork, and a 20mm axle up front.

kzuma

Chimp
Apr 24, 2007
Having had a Covert for a while, IMO, the bike really shines best with 150-160mm fork, and a 20mm axle up front.
that doesn't screw up the geometry? if im not mistaken, it's designed for a 140mm. and what kind of riding are you doing with the covert?

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
yep same here go a little longer. also i have been poorly disappointed in my fox talas. it had very little small bump compliance. i have since moves to a lyric. though i have little time on it i'm sure it will be better suited to the style of riding.

yes it was broken in and had the right adjustments made.

gsweet

Monkey
Dec 20, 2001
Minnesota
i think this would be a third emphasis. i've had a covert for a bit and although i haven't had as much ride time as i'd like, the lyric feels pretty solid. coil version is buttery smooth. although at this point i'd say that it almost feels like too much fork for this bike; if i were to do it all over again i'd pick up the pike coil or a zocchi am series. 20mm through axle is a must.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
one thing to remember is if you get the lyric solo air you can shorten the travel to what you desire. also the lyric solo air is lighter than the pike coil and the marzocchi offering that are not full air.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Just go with the 140mm version of the Float that Fox offers -whatever they call it.
:stupid:

I've got a Float 140 RLC on mine and it's great.

EDIT: If you're having a hard time keeping the front end down, get a slightly longer stem. No need for travel adjust. I've got a 75mm on mine and it climbs like a goat!

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Float over a Talas lighter cheaper and a bike that is right will not need to have the travel adjusted while riding.