Quantcast

Am I becoming a crackpot?

RenegadeRick

98th percentile on my SAT & all I got was this tin

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Oh and going back to the "the simplest answer is usually the right one"....trying to explain how a big thing made a little hole is difficult. However....(and I can't find a decent pic), the hole in the pentagon bares a striking resemblance to the holes that cruise missile leave in buildings. (Including the intact windows adjacent to the holes). To me this almost becomes the simpler explanation.....

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
MMike said:
Oh and going back to the "the simplest answer is usually the right one"....trying to explain how a big thing made a little hole is difficult. However....(and I can't find a decent pic), the hole in the pentagon bares a striking resemblance to the holes that cruise missile leave in buildings. (Including the intact windows adjacent to the holes). To me this almost becomes the simpler explanation.....
But why use a missile when you have access to anything you want, including an airliner?

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
fluff said:
But why use a missile when you have access to anything you want, including an airliner?
Good question. Assuming for a moment this is a big conspiracy, it would certainly make the story easier to explain.

But rigging a 757 to run by remote control isn't that easy/cheap to do. And then to fly it with the degree of accuracy required for the operation....than would be no small feat. I would think it would be pretty tricky to remotely fly a 757 that low to the ground and hit the pentagon. A cruise missile is pretty much a no-brainer.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
MMike said:
.....not to mention the number of people that would have to be involved with the modification of the 757. The fewer people in on the project, the better, n'est-ce pas?
Uhuh, but then you need to truck in the plane debris to strew around - how many people would be needed for that?

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
BurlyShirley said:
My two guesses would be:

#1. Military ineptitude. (trust me, it runs rampant)
#2. It's not as heavily defended as we thought.
No one wanted to give the order to kill a hundred or so American citizens. Or, someone did (I have trouble imagining Cheney losing too much sleep over it) but the President didn't concur.

The guy sat in a catatonic state for seven minutes in front of a bunch of schoolchildren. He's not equipped to make a snap decision like that.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Silver said:
No one wanted to give the order to kill a hundred or so American citizens. Or, someone did (I have trouble imagining Cheney losing too much sleep over it) but the President didn't concur.

The guy sat in a catatonic state for seven minutes in front of a bunch of schoolchildren. He's not equipped to make a snap decision like that.
Also bear in mind that the German govt recently debated a law to ensure such a plance would be shot down and the bill was rejected. No one wants to make that call.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
fluff said:
Uhuh, but then you need to truck in the plane debris to strew around - how many people would be needed for that?
For all three pieces they found?

And how many questions would there be if they found that the plane was remote controlled? Say that the remote controlled plane didn't dissolve...lots of wreckage left. And hello... what's this? No bodies? remotely operated actuators? I suppose they could have filled the plane with explosives to be sure they finish the job. But again flying a plane by remote control would be very difficult and very risky. A stray gust of wind, a flock of geese...all kinds of things could derail the plan.... and that's REALLY what you don't want....a remotely controlled 757 full of explosives, misses its target and hits a nearby elementary school... or something. A missile would be... uh..."sure fire"... The risk of failure would too high (IMO) to use an airplane.....not to mention, faster, cheaper etc etc....

Random

Chimp
Aug 14, 2001
Joplin, MO
If a plane didnt hit the pentagon where did the missing plane and passengers go? Did they park it in the hanger where the moon landings were filmed? Also the hits at the WTC would be enough to outrage the US. There would be no reason to fire a missle into the pentagon

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Random said:
If a plane didnt hit the pentagon where did the missing plane and passengers go? Did they park it in the hanger where the moon landings were filmed? Also the hits at the WTC would be enough to outrage the US. There would be no reason to fire a missle into the pentagon
Watch loose change, FAA records show a few planes landing where and when they were not supposed to be. It also shows multiple planes with the same tail numbers.

Also - to make it more believable. You don't attack your own headquarters do you?

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
BurlyShirley said:
I think JM in this and the MTBR thread has summed this up quite well. If you believe in this conspiracy crap, it's only because you're naturally inclined to do so, not because of any honest examination of the facts.
The simple fact that I served the government, and know all too well the depth of its ineptitude helps me sleep at night.

Of course this theory mainly rests on the idea that all the other govenment servants are as inept as Briley shirley....... :hot:

Random

Chimp
Aug 14, 2001
Joplin, MO
Transcend said:
Watch loose change, FAA records show a few planes landing where and when they were not supposed to be. It also shows multiple planes with the same tail numbers.

Also - to make it more believable. You don't attack your own headquarters do you?
Ok if the plane did land somewhere else what about the passengers? Where they all killed off or forced to live in exile in Mexico and never allowed to contact anyone again?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Random said:
Ok if the plane did land somewhere else what about the passengers? Where they all killed off or forced to live in exile in Mexico and never allowed to contact anyone again?
Again, watch the video. The faa report saws they were evacuated to an EMPTY FAA control hanger on the opposite site of the airport from everyone else, and in under 30 mins. They were also mostly govt employees.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Random said:
The implications of mass murder are definately there. IF this did happen and many thousands were killed in the "attacks" then I don't think killing 100 more people would really matter to them.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I
can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

--Jack Handy Deep Thoughts

Random

Chimp
Aug 14, 2001
Joplin, MO
Transcend said:
Again, watch the video. The faa report saws they were evacuated to an EMPTY FAA control hanger on the opposite site of the airport from everyone else, and in under 30 mins. They were also mostly govt employees.

Thats the problem, they had the plane they could crash into the pentegon. Why go to all the trouble of hiding the plane, getting rid of the passengers, and then getting a fighter jet to fire a missle into the building to cover up the fact that the now missing plane didnt crash into the pentegon like they want everyone to believe. It gets to complicated to be resonable.

I dont want to watch the video because it is too long. Do you have a link to that part of the report?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Transcend said:

Err, I'd rather see the FAA data for myself, rather than believe someone else's interpretation.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Transcend said:
Was that sarcasm? Cos if it was then; the staged attack didn't work so well, from what I can see here there is a substantial number of people who suspect it was staged.

Then again, the world is full of crackpots, after all.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
fluff said:
Also bear in mind that the German govt recently debated a law to ensure such a plance would be shot down and the bill was rejected. No one wants to make that call.
I'm not saying anyone (well, except maybe Dick Cheney) wants to make that call.

All I'm saying is that you don't need a conspiracy theory to explain why the plane didn't get shot down. The "decider" crapped his pants and turned to stone for 7 minutes before someone decided to get him...Incompetence explains that better than an elaborate conspiracy.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Silver said:
I'm not saying anyone (well, except maybe Dick Cheney) wants to make that call.

All I'm saying is that you don't need a conspiracy theory to explain why the plane didn't get shot down. The "decider" crapped his pants and turned to stone for 7 minutes before someone decided to get him...Incompetence explains that better than an elaborate conspiracy.
Yeah. Especially from this bunch.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
fluff said:
Was that sarcasm? Cos if it was then; the staged attack didn't work so well, from what I can see here there is a substantial number of people who suspect it was staged.

Then again, the world is full of crackpots, after all.
Of course it was sarcasm. The braintrust running the USA at the current time probably can't see the sarcasm you picked up upon however. :rofl:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Jm_ said:
Err, I'd rather see the FAA data for myself, rather than believe someone else's interpretation.
Clearly. But IF the plane ladning/takeoff/evacuation data they used is correct and legit...it raises a few questions.

Too many things just don't add up. I don't think there is a gigantic conspiracy, but I also don't think that even a small portion of the official story is true. At this point, 1 + 1 = 9 if you believe the official story.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
MMike said:
Good question. Assuming for a moment this is a big conspiracy, it would certainly make the story easier to explain.

But rigging a 757 to run by remote control isn't that easy/cheap to do. And then to fly it with the degree of accuracy required for the operation....than would be no small feat. I would think it would be pretty tricky to remotely fly a 757 that low to the ground and hit the pentagon. A cruise missile is pretty much a no-brainer.
Erm, that documentary you posted shows the CIA doing it back in 1984... Landings and a deliberate crash.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Having just scanned the 7+ pages of this thread I thought I would comment on a few items that were mentioned, keeping in mind that a) I work in the aircraft industry and b) I’ve had graduate level classes on aircraft accident investigation.

First, I wouldn’t assume the bulk of the fuselage and wings “vaporized” on impact as much as they were consumed during the post crash fire. I’ll have to watch that video again.

Second, think of the fuselage of the 757 as a soda can getting squished at impact, the size of the resulting debris field will reflect this.

Third, the reason there is not more engine debis that is larger is that most of the components were most likely destroyed due to impact forces (something spinning at 15,000+ rpm coming to a sudden stop or hitting adjacent structure/components) rather than thermal degradation (fire).

Fourth, the comment that some accidents that involved aircraft impacting mountains and having large portions of the fuselage intact as a comparison is incomplete. The angle of impact needs to be taken into consideration in addition to impact speed. One instance comes to mind is a Korean 747 that ran into a mountain on Guam where the fuselage was intact. This was a controlled flight into terrain, on approach for landing at less than 200 mph……nothing like a semi controlled dive into the ground.

Anyway I just thought I’d chime in.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Andyman_1970 said:
Nasa did it in the late 80's as well to test crashworthyness of various seating positions on a 707.
You know, I meant to type NASA, but I left my tin-foil hat off and they made me type CIA.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
Of course it's doable and has been done.....but in the desert. If you're off 10 or 20 feet in one direction or another, who cares? This would be a one shot deal, failure not an option, "Red Leader, stay on target" kinda stuff.

All I'm saying is that if I were in charge of a dastardly plot to fake a terrorist attack on my own people, then I would not use a remotely controlled plane. For my tastes, there would be too many uncotrollable variables that could make the whole thing go terribly wrong.

For me, I'd use the cruise missile, call it a plane. Dismiss those who contradict the official version as "crackpot conspriacy theorists", do lots of hand waving and distraction. Eventually people would forget and go back to watching Survivor and American Idol. Seems way easier, and less risky to me.

And I agree with basically everything Andy said. The fuse is a soda can. And yes it should disintigrate. But as far as it being consumed by the fire? Ok....say it all melts. (even though the fire wouldn't be THAT hot.....a puddle of jet fuel on the ground at atmosphere would not burn as hot as it it will in and engine all atomized and in highly compressed air)...... But the melted Al, would solidify again....Was that stuff recovered? Like they always said on Beekman's world: "Everything goes somewhere!"

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
MMike said:
And I agree with basically everything Andy said. The fuse is a soda can. And yes it should disintigrate. But as far as it being consumed by the fire? Ok....say it all melts. (even though the fire wouldn't be THAT hot.....a puddle of jet fuel on the ground at atmosphere would not burn as hot as it it will in and engine all atomized and in highly compressed air)...... But the melted Al, would solidify again....Was that stuff recovered? Like they always said on Beekman's world: "Everything goes somewhere!"
Have you ever put a soda can in a campfire? Where does it go?

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
Andyman_1970 said:
I can honestly say that I have not.....I guess I have a project for the weekend.

After some more thought, I'm having an easier time with the lack of wreckage. The thing that still puzzles me is level of damage to the building. The hole still seems too small, and the intact windows....still seems weird. I mean, mass is mass.... it's gonna do some damage. The engines would shatter, but it should still scar the building...(more than it did)..

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Andyman_1970 said:
Scale dude, scale. If the Soda can was the plane then the entire wing of the Pentagon would have needed to be a long lasting inferno. As we saw, the fie was shortlived and extremely local. Even office equipment on the very edge of the zone of destruction was unscathed.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
This is still not THE question which determines the presence of lack of a some sort of cover up. In fact is largely immaterial to the case against the governments version of events.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Remember the forumla for kinetic engergy? You half the mass and square the velocity. You're also dealing with a somewhat delicate aluminum structure with a smaller structural "margin" than a building............using a 150% safety margin (which is what commercial air planes have) on a building would get you fired as an engineer approving building structure.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
Andyman_1970 said:
Remember the forumla for kinetic engergy? You half the mass and square the velocity. You're also dealing with a somewhat delicate aluminum structure with a smaller structural "margin" than a building............using a 150% safety margin (which is what commercial air planes have) on a building would get you fired as an engineer approving building structure.
I agree with all of that. But what about the windows? I know they are not Home Depot issue windows....likely bullet-proof. But still.....

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
MMike said:
I agree with all of that. But what about the windows? I know they are not Home Depot issue windows....likely bullet-proof. But still.....
I'm not familiar with their construction so I can't comment on that aspect, but if it was a goverment project then there was a specific specification they had to be built to.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
Andyman_1970 said:
It doesn't take long for a soda can to disappear.........and aircraft structure, esspecially the skin is surprisingly thin anywhere from 0.032 to 0.040 thick.
The thinnest I ever saw on the skin of a 767 was more in the order of .06. I only ever saw disconnect brkts and stuff that thin.... (but still.....not very thick)

Floor beams and stringers though defintely have some heft to them...

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
MMike said:
The thinnest I ever saw on the skin of a 767 was more in the order of .06. I only ever saw disconnect brkts and stuff that thin.... (but still.....not very thick)
I would be surprised if all the skin on a 757 was 0.06, the skin is typically thinner at the forward end of the fuselage, and then thicker at the wing attach area and tail section.

MMike said:
Floor beams and stringers though defintely have some heft to them...
Wing spars would also be very beefy.