Quantcast

Am I blind? What happened to the Point One DM thread?

ender

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
What the heck happened to the Point One DM thread from earlier today? There was some good stuff on there and I wanted to reply :(

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I never got to see anything past the first 2 posts - did it turn into a flame war or something?

I still love my Point1 DM though! :D

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
As I recall, that pic doesn't show a cracked stem, but one with a big chunk taken out in a crash. Could be wrong though.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
It was probably the pic of the cracked stem that did it.
Just looked like a crack, I fell for it too. It was just polished metal from a crash. You can tell by better inspection of the pic. I was told they've never had a stem failure.

As I recall, that pic doesn't show a cracked stem, but one with a big chunk taken out in a crash. Could be wrong though.
Nah your right, not even a chunk though, just mashed ally, like any stem would.
The PO1NT stuff is very nice.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I just looked at it now. It definitely shows a broken (shreared) stem around the bolt hole, you can see it in on of the 3/4 shots from behind on the opposite side.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I just looked at it now. It definitely shows a broken (shreared) stem around the bolt hole, you can see it in on of the 3/4 shots from behind on the opposite side.
Damn that isn't good. I just bolted one of these stems on and I'm very happy with the height and reach of it. Udi has been running one for awhile now and hasn't had a problem even with a few crashes.

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
There goes my mantra that the single only components on bicycles to never fail are stems. Someone was bound to stuff it up at one Point. (pun intended)

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Might be a different pic to the one I'm thinking of sorry.
In the pic I saw, I was sure it was cracked, then when told it wasn't, I looked again to see it actually wasn't.
They're one of, if not the lightest stems available. Any light weight parts should be inspected often for signs of wear. I still have as much faith in the PO1NT stems I'm running, as I did in all the other stems I've run, accept the BMW one, that thing I'd imagine could take any beating.
I only know one guy that wrecks stems(fuknose how), and he's now on a direct Mount PO1NT, will see how he goes.
All direct mount stems are taking a more load in impacts than normal stems.

Last edited:

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
The OP probably smartened up.

There's a reason why I don't list sponsors or make silly posts rehashing marketing garbage on the intardwebz.

ender

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
Judging from the pic of that cracked stem it was a bolt or crown failure. It was a little blurry but, it looks like there were still threads in the crown bolt hole so that tells me that bolt was entirely missing which would definitely cause the stem to fail.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
There was one where basically a chunk of metal was missing from the stem that sort of looked like a crack, and that was it. Not the same bike I'm pretty sure.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
looks like it was a hardware failure more than a stem failure. Have seen it happen before on the sunn own brand boxxer stem that comes with the radical. Not very pretty when it happens. In that pic it looks like the threaded part of the bolt is still in the crown and the head sheared off. Maybe the weight weeney was using alloy bolts or something like that.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia

think this might be the picture you guys are looking for.

that stem definitely looks like it has taken some abuse, dents on both sides where the crack is.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Yeah that's the one I was talking about. It's not cracked if you look carefully, it's just you can't see the shiny ally, makes it look like a bit's missing.

cesar_rojo

Monkey
Feb 29, 2008

think this might be the picture you guys are looking for.

that stem definitely looks like it has taken some abuse, dents on both sides where the crack is.
That stem in NOT cracked 100% sure, just has some wear on it... About the other picture just looks really weird to brake the bolt like that and having the handlebar in one piece, it must be a really super hard crash to shear the head off a steel bolt...

Muttely

Monkey
Jan 26, 2009
haha, both those stems are on blue frames, running 40's and easton CNT Dh bars.

I smell a conspiracy.

May 27, 2009
it because the bolt was missing or backed out due to vibration!!!!!
The SAME thing happened to my sunline. From what i have seen the po1nt are strong as hell (when mounted correctly). My friend bent two sets of dirty thirty's and the stem is still fine.

Then other one is a chunk missing from shuddling at whistler. The bike is Adam's from MTBR.

the make great stuff and i don't doubt there quality at all.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
haha, both those stems are on blue frames, running 40's and easton CNT Dh bars.

I smell a conspiracy.
Haha!

The SAME thing happened to my sunline. From what i have seen the po1nt are strong as hell (when mounted correctly). My friend bent two sets of dirty thirty's and the stem is still fine.

Then other one is a chunk missing from shuddling at whistler. The bike is Adam's from MTBR.

Word.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants

Well, the stem as a whole includes hardware. Sure, the metal might be tough as nails, but if screws are backing themselves out, well, a stem (hardware included) shouldn't do that. That kinda' worries me, to be honest.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Well, the stem as a whole includes hardware. Sure, the metal might be tough as nails, but if screws are backing themselves out, well, a stem (hardware included) shouldn't do that. That kinda' worries me, to be honest.
I probably don't even qualify as an armchair engineer, but other than different strengths or materials a bolt is a bolt is a bolt. I don't think you can tweak thread design so that one would be less prone to backing out than another. Maybe point one just needs to provide some documentation with torque specs on how tight those bolts should be tightened?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
eh, doesn't look like a bolt backed out so much as sheared off. Somebody probably tightened it too much and the head got weak, then he went down hard and the bar was pulled up, popping the head off and putting too much stress on the back bolt, which cause the very tip of the stem to snap. Either that, or the bolts used were just poor and the thing sheered, which is possibly but unlikely...most bolts are damn strong.

Sverre

Monkey
Aug 26, 2004
Norwaii
I´ve rocked mine, both direct mount and standard for almost a year now with no problem. Lots of crashes on both bikes, and they´re holdin´up fine. Really stiff and light stems.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
eh, doesn't look like a bolt backed out so much as sheared off. Somebody probably tightened it too much and the head got weak, then he went down hard and the bar was pulled up, popping the head off and putting too much stress on the back bolt, which cause the very tip of the stem to snap. Either that, or the bolts used were just poor and the thing sheered, which is possibly but unlikely...most bolts are damn strong.
yup, that was my thought as well, looks like the front right bolt head sheared off, and ended up twisting around the rear bolt. possibly overtightened and then crashed HARD?

phingerhex

Chimp
Mar 3, 2006
oakland/pacifica
That stem in NOT cracked 100% sure, just has some wear on it... About the other picture just looks really weird to brake the bolt like that and having the handlebar in one piece, it must be a really super hard crash to shear the head off a steel bolt...

That chip happened at Whistler in a crash. I'm still rocking that stem and I've have no problems. That other one though, nice! :cheers:

They folks, dh is a sport that breaks things, bikes and people. Understand that and just ride.