Quantcast

Am I crazy??

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
So I am running the terrain park(winter) at a local mountain this year. I am kind of bored with the huge gap jumps you always see in the parks. You can take a nap between the time you land and hit the next jump. I was thinking about building more of a dirt jump style line(I would still build the more traditional style stuff too). Since I will be using a snow cat to build think of a dirt jump line on a large scale that you would use skis or snowboards on. I know a lot of you guys spend time sliding around on the snow in the winter. What would you think of having something like this in your local mountain's park?

mntbiker2

Monkey
Jun 30, 2007
forget jumps..build some sick ass rails!...rollercoaster rails c-boxes some crazy stuff...but as far as jumps go, go for some big step ups hips are nice also.. maybe a spine or quarter pipe...

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
the old Chenga skatepark in cleveland used to have a wooden rhythm section that looked like a line of dirt jumps (rollable doubles).... and somewhere i remember seeing footage of a skateboarder ollie-grab gapping down the whole line.... that is the only time i have seen a "boarder" (whether skate or snow) do a rhythm jump line. i don't snowboard enough to know whether it would work... but it seems like it should.

aeffertz

Monkey
Jun 12, 2008
Ladysmith, WI
rails are sweet, yeah.
i think your idea is sweet, though.
i'm bored of all the massive jumps that you can't even attempt anything off of unless you want to bust ****.
yeah, go for it.

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
big hip to another opposite hip to table somthin with lines that arnt completely straight down the mountain.
I was thinking a couple straight then a double hip landing splitting the run each side would have a hip back the other direction merging together before going into other jumps.

Honestly I hope it would start developing like dirt jumps carving new lips in throughout the season.

Last edited:

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
I saw something on Fuel where some snowboarders made a rhythm line. It was pretty sick, but small. I'd make them big and steep. Maybe make them more of up jumps, instead of out jumps like most snow jumps.

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
I would make them very steep some of them would be more like spines. I would do most of the building with the cat so big will not be a problem. i think they will all be step ups just like you see most dirt jumps.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Get the movie BikeCar. Those guys did a snow rythym line. Smaller than most terrain park tables but looked fun. It took them a while to get the kinks worked out - they started it as stepdowns like most snowboard jumps are and they were over shooting them. At the end the sets looked a lot like how most of us build dirt jump sets.

There is also some old footage on w Nate Wessel hitting the DJ's @ Woodward but I have no idea what vid and it's really short.

I think a "trail" line on snowboards would be rad but the only thing I could see being a problem would be safety. Those big jumps while big are open and usually step-downs so you can see where people are. But, if you have a flat area I think a rhythm/jib/berm/hip line would be the treats. Something where you have to pump and mantain speed - and like Cru said - make them short gaps but poppy as hell. Again, I really think it needs a pretty flat slope to work - too steep and people are going to be flying and getting wrecked. And also - gate it off somehow so people can bail out but can snake into the line.

Let us know how it works out - I dig hitting the terrain park on my board - but usually hitting the small stuff as I'm old and wimpy.

basikbiker

Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
Northern Cali
I would make them very steep some of them would be more like spines. I would do most of the building with the cat so big will not be a problem. i think they will all be step ups just like you see most dirt jumps.
if you make your lips steep like typical bike jumps people are gonna get broke off unless you make your trannies realllly long, theres a reason snow jumps arent super steep.