Quantcast

Am I doing the right thing? Poor little kitty

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
8,933
0
Montgomery county MD
I was in my kitchen today, and heard a little meow at the back door. I looked out, and saw a really cute litte cat. I felt bad because its really cold outside, and let her in. The poor thing only has one eye. The other socket is all gooey and gross looking. My roommate opened a can of tuna and she guzzled down almost the whole thing. Its supposed to be below freezing tonight, and rain and snow, so there was no way I was setting her back outside.

I asked around my building, and my neighbors had seen her on the other side of the fence a few days ago, and said she came over and has been meowing at their door the past few days. We called around to the local animal hospitals to see about her eye, and they don't take strays from regular people, but said they could take her in from animal control. We called animal control and they can't send someone out until tomorrow morning.

I borrowed a little kitty kennel from a neighbor, and put her in there with a towel, some water, and some dry cat food. Its a pretty small kennel, and she DEFINANTLY did not want to go in to it, but I figure its better than the alternative of being outside.....right?

I just feel so bad that there is nothing I can do for her, and I shoved her into a tiny little box. I would LOVE to take her in, but I just cant right now. I don't have the time or money it would take to get her checked out, up to date on shots, etc. not to mention the extra rent they charge in my building. I think all I can do is give her to animal control, get her looked at, and hopefully get her up for adoption. I know its the right thing, but I just feel really bad about it :(
 

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
9,890
4
Hypernormality
BigMike said:
I was in my kitchen today, and heard a little meow at the back door. I looked out, and saw a really cute litte cat. I felt bad because its really cold outside, and let her in. The poor thing only has one eye. The other socket is all gooey and gross looking. My roommate opened a can of tuna and she guzzled down almost the whole thing. Its supposed to be below freezing tonight, and rain and snow, so there was no way I was setting her back outside.

I asked around my building, and my neighbors had seen her on the other side of the fence a few days ago, and said she came over and has been meowing at their door the past few days. We called around to the local animal hospitals to see about her eye, and they don't take strays from regular people, but said they could take her in from animal control. We called animal control and they can't send someone out until tomorrow morning.

I borrowed a little kitty kennel from a neighbor, and put her in there with a towel, some water, and some dry cat food. Its a pretty small kennel, and she DEFINANTLY did not want to go in to it, but I figure its better than the alternative of being outside.....right?

I just feel so bad that there is nothing I can do for her, and I shoved her into a tiny little box. I would LOVE to take her in, but I just cant right now. I don't have the time or money it would take to get her checked out, up to date on shots, etc. not to mention the extra rent they charge in my building. I think all I can do is give her to animal control, get her looked at, and hopefully get her up for adoption. I know its the right thing, but I just feel really bad about it :(
You're doing the right thing. Well done.
 

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
2,240
0
Ballard 4 life.
Despite my intense hatred for animals of the feline persuasion, I believe that you are doing the right thing. It's not your cat, but it is obviously neglected, and your are going out of your way to make it your responsibility to improve its life, which is quite honorable. There is a lack of that kind of compassion the in world.
 

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
6,260
15
Glitter Gulch
i am willing to bet money, lots of money, that animal control puts that cat down as soon as they get it. a cat with a gooey eye. they aren't going to want to spend a whole lot of money fixing it up just so it can sit around animal control for three months with 1500 other cats until they have to put it too sleep.

that being said, stray cats are a dime a dozen around here. its probably better of in animal control than wandering the street and picking up some nasty infection. I wouldn't have taken it in because in one night i would have been too attached to hand it over.

i say box it up and drop it on the door step of a humane society. they can't put it to sleep. they won't take strays directly from people, but they will take cats in that are left on their doorstep.
 

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
8,933
0
Montgomery county MD
laura said:
i am willing to bet money, lots of money, that animal control puts that cat down as soon as they get it. a cat with a gooey eye. they aren't going to want to spend a whole lot of money fixing it up just so it can sit around animal control for three months with 1500 other cats until they have to put it too sleep.

that being said, stray cats are a dime a dozen around here. its probably better of in animal control than wandering the street and picking up some nasty infection. I wouldn't have taken it in because in one night i would have been too attached to hand it over.

i say box it up and drop it on the door step of a humane society. they can't put it to sleep. they won't take strays directly from people, but they will take cats in that are left on their doorstep.
Thats what I'm afraid of, I don't want them to put her down. I called the SPCA and they said they can't take her for a couple weeks or even a month. She was meowing all night, and when we let her out this morning, she's sooooooooooo cute. She's running and jumping and playing all over the place, and I don't want to give her up :(
 

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
10,681
0
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
BigMike said:
Thats what I'm afraid of, I don't want them to put her down. I called the SPCA and they said they can't take her for a couple weeks or even a month. She was meowing all night, and when we let her out this morning, she's sooooooooooo cute. She's running and jumping and playing all over the place, and I don't want to give her up :(
Call around at the various shelters. Check to see if they are no-kill. Can you tell if the eye is damaged or if it's just full of goop from a cold or something?

In any case, you're doing the right thing keeping her warm and safe.
 

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
11,007
149
The Cleft of Venus
You have two choices...

1. Keep the kitty and get her some shots and spayed.

2. Let her go to certain death.

A decision like that sucks.

:(
 

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
8,933
0
Montgomery county MD
robdamanii said:
Call around at the various shelters. Check to see if they are no-kill. Can you tell if the eye is damaged or if it's just full of goop from a cold or something?

In any case, you're doing the right thing keeping her warm and safe.

The eye is not there. She must have been in a fight or somthing, but she's missing her eye. I called the SPCA who are no kill, and the hospitals around here won't take her from the general public.
 

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
10,681
0
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
BigMike said:
The eye is not there. She must have been in a fight or somthing, but she's missing her eye. I called the SPCA who are no kill, and the hospitals around here won't take her from the general public.
Hrm.

If she's energetic, running and playing as she is, she's probably in decent health despite the eye. I'd persue the SPCA a little more and see if there is anything at all they can do, or anything they can advise you to do.

Also try the SPCA in adjoining counties or towns. They may be able to take her in.
 

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
3,430
0
Charlotte, NC
you are doing the right thing. As a few people had mentioned I would look into your local Humane Society vs Animal control.
 

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
37,068
3,939
Sleazattle
I got a work-study scholarship in college to "volunteer" at the local animal shelter. An adult stray cat with a non-comunicable (sp?)serious medical problem like a bad eye would be put down immediately after the 5 day waiting period, a kitten would get treated and most likely adopted. If you have ever seen what happens to a cat with frostbite you would know what you are doing is the right thing.
 

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
1,808
1
BigMike said:
The number I got for the Richmond Humance Society connected me to the Richmond SPCA
They may be harder to find, but a no kill shelter is the only chance she has to live. The are usually privately owned and run, but really try and do everything they can to help animals, even with injuries. Most often, they have vets that offer free services to help their sick/injured animals. Thats the best shot you've got if you don't want her to be euthanized. Good luck.
 

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
1,108
0
Sandy Eggo, CA
Regardless where she goes, and what happens to her after she leaves your care, keep in mind that when she crossed your path, you did everything you could to give her love and warmth and security. That's all you can do, and it sounds like you are powerless to do anything more.

You can't change things that are out of your control. But those things that are in your control, you did right.

My only other suggestion is to take a digital pic, make a flier, "Rescue Kitty from Animal Control and Take her Home for Christmas!" tell kitty's sad plight, and put them up in the campus library. Have your GF put them on the inside of the stalls in the women's room. Trust me...
 

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
2,334
0
Chatsworth
You're doing the right thing. I would say that you need to continue with your research; I'm sure you can find an agency to help you out with this. One thing is for sure, you will be attached to your new firend, and won't want to give her away...
 

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
16,673
446
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
robdamanii said:
Call around at the various shelters. Check to see if they are no-kill. Can you tell if the eye is damaged or if it's just full of goop from a cold or something?

In any case, you're doing the right thing keeping her warm and safe.
:stupid: Good job :thumb:
 

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
1,768
57
Left hand path
My gf is the manager for our local Humane Society animal shelter. As mentioned above, key would be to find a no-kill shelter nearby. A good one will throw an amazing amount of time & resources into saving that cat. I've seen the shelter work for animals much worse off than a missing eye. Good luck.
 

lux

Monkey
Mar 25, 2004
588
0
Wilmington, NC
One more: http://www.cstone.net/~jgr9a/city/cd_links1.html

If you can't find a home for kitty, I'll friggen' drive up there and get him...her? Hell, I've got three, my girlfriend has a few, her parents have like fourteen living on their property that they care for, her sister has five and a found stray rabbit.

We's into our aminals.

Please get that eye looked at if you're able.
 

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
10,189
0
in a bear cave
Whether you keep it as a pet, get it spayed, or send it to people who will, or send it somewhere where it will be killed, it's the right thing to do in my book.
 

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
565
0
Melrose MA
just keep the cat, theyre easy to hide in apartments. I did it with a rabbit for 2 years.
Run down to the local drug store and get a tube of bacatracin to apply to the eye infection once or twice a day and it should heal up, especially if the cat is in otherwise good health.