Quantcast

"Am I holding you up?" how to answer w/o sounding like a dick?

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Okay, so I'm a little dyslexic and one of my little dyslexic idiosyncracies is that I usually have to think for a little bit which is my left and right. It always freaks me out when somebody comes riding up behind yelling "on your left." because I'm never really sure in the heat of the moment which way left is. If I go by instinct I am almost 100% wrong every time. I usually just freeze and try to make myself as small as possible and hope they can pass on either side.

So next time you go to pass somebody and yell "on you left" and the dude curls up in a fetal position in the middle of the trail it's either me or some other dyslexic yahoo.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
jdschall said:
Okay, so I'm a little dyslexic and one of my little dyslexic idiosyncracies is that I usually have to think for a little bit which is my left and right. It always freaks me out when somebody comes riding up behind yelling "on your left." because I'm never really sure in the heat of the moment which way left is. If I go by instinct I am almost 100% wrong every time. I usually just freeze and try to make myself as small as possible and hope they can pass on either side.

So next time you go to pass somebody and yell "on you left" and the dude curls up in a fetal position in the middle of the trail it's either me or some other dyslexic yahoo.
not a problem.
sysdlexic yahoo's are allowed at windrock. :sneaky:

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
jingledell said:
Yah. You're probably right.

The problem is I can be a bit competitive when I ride with other people. And I really have a hard time finding people that can keep up with me. So maybe I am overly concerned about shoving these things in someone's face.

It's one thing for the fast guy to just "be" the fastest. But, to me, it is a bit much for someone to say it outright. Which is what I would have to do when answering the guy's question "Am I holding you up?"
So if you wanted to find out the socially acceptable way to pass while DHing why didn't you ask the DH forum?

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
dhbuilder said:
to kind of add to what i earlier posted about d.h. riding being different from x-c sociality.
Depends on the ride and the people, i wouldn't buzz your tire i'd just ride around you on the descent.;)

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Getting the pecking order sorted out for DH is a must.
People who c*ckblock on the DH are dealt with ruthlessly in my experience (sketchy passes, roosted on, etc). Most everyone can sort it out politely enough, but slow people who insist on leading don't get much sympathy.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
DH Diva said:
So if you wanted to find out the socially acceptable way to pass while DHing why didn't you ask the DH forum?
have ya been perusing over there lately ?

question asked.
question answered somewhat.
followed by page after page of devils advocacy.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Zark said:
but slow people who insist on leading don't get much sympathy.
But if this guy doesn't have the nuts to speak up, and he continually lets the the slower rider go ahead because he's afraid to say "Can I go first" how the heck are they supposed to even know they are holding someone up?

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
Skookum said:
Depends on the ride and the people, i wouldn't buzz your tire i'd just ride around you on the descent.;)
you'd fit in just fine around here.

just remember.
here, the descent starts within the first half of a tire revolution and doesn't level off untill the parking lot. :):):):)

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Since I am usually the slowpoke, I just assume the trailing position. It allows me to ride at my snail's pace w/o pissing people off and also stop whenever I want for a moment's discrete puffing.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
dhbuilder said:
have ya been perusing over there lately ?

question asked.
question answered somewhat.
followed by page after page of devils advocacy.
I have. ;)

But possing this question here is like asking apples how to be oranges and oranges how to be apples. I have found that most XC group rides are not the ego fest that a lot of group DH rides can be so your going to get a much different perspective.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
DH Diva said:
I have. ;)

But possing this question here is like asking apples how to be oranges and oranges how to be apples. I have found that most XC group rides are not the ego fest that a lot of group DH rides can be so your going to get a much different perspective.
i was just noticing that here in the lounge, we may stray from the original subject matter.
but it's for the most part, still a conversation.

over there it's just usually kids talkin just to hear their head spin.

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
DH Diva said:
But if this guy doesn't have the nuts to speak up, and he continually lets the the slower rider go ahead because he's afraid to say "Can I go first" how the heck are they supposed to even know they are holding someone up?
Most of the time, I've never seen this problem, its ususally a non-issue. Most DH's I know are arrogant enough not to worry about hurting someone's feelings about enforcing the pecking order:rofl:
And like most folks have said, most people will pull off the trail for a faster rider.

The time a usually see the problem is where a slower rider continually gets on the trail first (while everyone is gearing up for example) and then gets caught and must be passed. This is infuriating since he will be caught and it chokes up the other riders once he's caught.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
dhbuilder said:
over there it's just usually kids talkin just to hear their head spin.

So when I pass on my new Sunday Team with new Fox 40, should I say 'on your left' or just post pictures of my bike sitting in the parking lot while braggin that it doesn't weigh a lick over 40 lbs?

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Zark said:
The time a usually see the problem is where a slower rider continually gets on the trail first (while everyone is gearing up for example) and then gets caught and must be passed. This is infuriating since he will be caught and it chokes up the other riders once he's caught.
But that's not what this guy is asking about. He continually lets the slower rider go ahead because he's not sure how to tell him he wants to lead.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
jdschall said:
So when I pass on my new Sunday Team with new Fox 40, should I say 'on your left' or just post pictures of my bike sitting in the parking lot while braggin that it doesn't weigh a lick over 40 lbs?
is that the dyslexic left or the other left ?

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
DH Diva said:
But that's not what this guy is asking about. He continually lets the slower rider go ahead because he's not sure how to tell him he wants to lead.
Sorry, I get a little sidetracked in these threads:rofl:
I guess you have to have an intervention in those cases post ride. Something along the lines of this?:
"Dude, I don't know you realized it but you're holding me up on the descents. You should let the faster riders lead next time."

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
DH Diva said:

that may be because he's in the back of the parking lot with llkoolkeg getting properly mota-vated.

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
If I want the guy in front of me to move without sounding to bad, I ride right behind them and comment their every move sounding like I am not even breathing or trying: Nice turn! Sweet! You cleaned that nice! Not bad!... Eventually they go crazy and let you by ;)

I don't mind riding whole trails behind slower riders that are my buddies though because I know that when slower I like to take the lead one in a while. I can be boring to be the last of the pack eating dust all day long.