Quantcast

Am I insane.

Hougham

Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
Being in the UK most of the DH runs are relatively short and there are some relatively smooth DH tracks as well. In the summer I was riding an Orange Five in the Alps and it felt really nice. So I am seriously thinking of setting up a Five with a six inch fork as a DH race rig. Have I gone mad? :shocked:

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
In the UK we don't need that much more than 6". Steve Jones from Dirt man has raced a few on a spec enduro I think.

Maybe get some reducer cups (not sure they'll fit a 5) to get the geo slacker and lower

Hougham

Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
That is what i was thinking trib you don't really need so much travel on most of the tracks. Don't think the Five can take adjuster cups but I have made offset mounting hardware in the past so can just do that again if I need it any slacker :)

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Sounds good to me, worst that happens is you get a little beat up on some of the courses. Since nearly all venues have a hardtail class a 5 should be more than capable

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England
I've seen a couple of Orange 5 come through our workshops with Fox 36 Floats fitted (all at 160mm) so its been done before and the customers did not report any ill effects ;)

each of these customers had either the Maxle or Hope Pro II screw-in bolt option which helps with the 5 as the rear is noticeably flexible with Q/R rear axle

the big difference between the 5 and Orange Alpine seems to be frame ridigity (the Alpine is somewhat heavier with thicker tubes)

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I wouldn't race a 5 downhill. The Alpine 160 would be great for a light, flickable Dh rig though. My 5 gets either a Talas 32 15mm on it, or a Talas 36 20mm, depending on what I will be doing with it. I routinely kick the crap out of my 5 though, and ride it like a DH bike. Drops, jumps and all.

I am definitely preferring the lighter, lower fork though to be honest. The geometry gets a bit whacky when the 36 is at full extension.

The Maxle option in the rear makes a HUGE difference to stiffness. Make sure you get that version and not the QR.

Here's my 5 with Talas 32, RP23 and Maxle.

Last edited:

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
Being in England most of the DH runs are relatively short and there are some relatively smooth DH tracks as well. In the summer I was riding an Orange Five in the Alps and it felt really nice. So I am seriously thinking of setting up a Five with a six inch fork as a DH race rig. Have I gone mad? :shocked:
Fixed it for you... A five as a dh bike where I live in the uk would be silly

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
I'm guessing you actually haven't been to a DH race in the uk yet. If you had, you wouldn't be asking the question.

Of course a Five is absolutely fine for downhill, but it's not the fastest way down the hill, and therefore not a good race bike. It is however an awesome trail bike. And this is why, if you can afford it, you have both.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I had somewhat more fun on a short (6-7") travel bike at highland than I ever did on either of my heavy (bmw) and light (sunday) DH sleds. The shorter sled allowed quicker acceleration and nothing there was so bad I got knocked around on the bike...

That being said, I wouldn't want a short travel rig at whiteface or plattekill, so you have to choose what's right for you at your location. DH bikes are starting to turn the way of less travel, but I think 8" is pretty ideal for a general rule of thumb.

TomBigmac

Chimp
May 31, 2009
At the end of the day, downhill bikes still win UK downhill races.

It's still the fastest bike overall. If there are any examples of a 5 inch travel bike winning then there must be very few, perhaps a mini downhill or two.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
At the end of the day, downhill bikes still win UK downhill races.

It's still the fastest bike overall. If there are any examples of a 5 inch travel bike winning then there must be very few, perhaps a mini downhill or two.
Exactly. And the UK has the most competitive field in the world (arguably). If a 5-6" bike was quicker down the hill, believe me, the top guys would be using it.