Quantcast

am I just being an ass? (long post)

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
BTW - this is all normal.

Real men hate birthdays and women, it seems wives in particular, LOVE this crap.

Roll w/ it.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
jacksonpt said:
I do, um... how shall I say... have a tendancy to be be a pushover - yea, let's go with that... I have a tendancy to be a pushover when it comes to my wife. In the 7 years I've been married (took me about 6 months to learn this), I've figured out that I really have ot pick and choose what I dig my heels in about. This is one of those things that I don't. Granted I know she won't give me a card that says "Take 5 or 6 hours next weekend and go ride.", but I also know that she won't take me out for dinner and have the waitresses sing to me while her mom is back out our house hanging balloons and streamers with 70 of our closest friends.

Hmmmmm. Listen, I don't know you or your wife but since you are asking for advice on a public forum I hope you are prepared to hear things you might not want. From the outside it seems like an unequal balance of power, that you are being too submissive, and that you repress your real feelings often enough that one more thing like this could be devastating.

She needs to know how strongly you feel about this stuff and what is at stake or she is not going to change.

Is there a big disparity in your incomes or some other reason, valid or not, for what's going on? Is she really buying the car herself (in which case "gift" is still lame but more understandable) or are you using joint funds?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
OGRipper said:
Hmmmmm. Listen, I don't know you or your wife but since you are asking for advice on a public forum I hope you are prepared to hear things you might not want. From the outside it seems like an unequal balance of power, that you are being too submissive, and that you repress your real feelings often enough that one more thing like this could be devastating.

She needs to know how strongly you feel about this stuff and what is at stake or she is not going to change.

Is there a big disparity in your incomes or some other reason, valid or not, for what's going on? Is she really buying the car herself (in which case "gift" is still lame but more understandable) or are you using joint funds?
No one here knows me or my wife, never mind the type of relationship we have. This thread wasn't supposed to be a "how do I get my wife to understand" thread - though I'm not surprised it's headed that direction. I'll respond to just about everyone, but 99% of this thread I'll take with a grain of salt.

The whole point of this was to get some outside opinions on a situation and decide if I was annoyed because of the lousy mindset I had (thus just being an ass), or if I had any reason to be annoyed.

I'm not looking to fix anything - it's as fixed as it's going to get and I'm pretty ok with that.

J

JRB

jacksonpt said:
<snip>I'm not looking to fix anything - it's as fixed as it's going to get and I'm pretty ok with that.
My best friend is pretty complacent with his marriage too. It saddens me. :(

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Every once in awhile I get an extra hint that my marriage f*cking ROCKS.

We communicate really well. She basically left my grumpy ass alone on my BD.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
geargrrl said:
now you guys know how we feel when you suggest power tools or household appliances for birthdays and Christmas.

~gg
Nevah! I always take my wife out for dinner on her b-day. :p

Actually, last year I got her a dinner and a chandelier she'd been lusting after for a couple years:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
SkaredShtles said:
Nevah! I always take my wife out for dinner on her b-day. :p

Actually, last year I got her a dinner and a chandelier she'd been lusting after for a couple years:

Woah...birthday present for my wife in December was....

DINNER AND A CHANDELIER SHE'D BEEN LUSTING AFTER!!

:shock:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
SkaredShtles said:
I am going to assume that means "get the f*ck out of here"...

I can't find a pic - it was a small murano crystal thing with rose colored teardrop crystals. Pretty cool looking actually. PITA to put together!

I hooked it up in the dining room on a fader switch. I am an EXPERT at this husband crap!

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I Are Baboon said:
Dude, why is Wolverine punching Charlie Daniels? :confused:
Probably payback for putting out songs like "What This World Needs Is a Few More Rednecks".

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
jacksonpt said:
I've been in a pretty lousy mood lately, so my perception of things is a bit skewed.

I don't like birthdays, particularly my own. I don't like parties, I don't like the attention, I don't like the expectations that come along with birthdays. My wife LOVES them, she loves an excuse to throw a party and have people over and blow $300 on food and such. My 30th is next month, so I'm disliking birthdays more this year than in the past (fearing that some extravagent ordeal is in the works).

Side Note:
My truck is long past its prime, but for a few reasons, I've been trying desperately to hold on it. We (my wife and I) have decided to get me something small and economical, with fun being low on the priority list since I'll be keeping my truck. We've decided on a Toyota Matrix - something that will fit the bill nicely, but I'm not exactly struggling to contain my excitement (I'm a truck guy...). Don't get me wrong... it's a nice little car, and 32mpg gives me a woody, but it's not a truck - it can't do anything cool.

OK, back on topic...

Yesterday I was over at the toyota dealership where my wife works. They had just gotten a matrix in that was pretty close to what we were looking for. I went over for a test drive and we got to talking. She said if I liked it that it would be my birthday present. Turns out is was missing a couple of options that I am pretty set on (ABS, air bags, etc.), so we decided to wait for something better equiped to come in.

If we had decided to go with the car, she would have made a big deal out of it... perhaps to go so far as to bring it home with a bow on it with a me and a group of people at the house (and thus the start of a bday party).

She knows how I feel about the car (being necessay but not all that exciting).

OK, now comes the "am I just being an ass" part...

My attitude is that if she's going to do a big thing (more than just dinner with the kids), then take the time to think up something I'd be excited about. Doesn't have to be big or fancy or expensive (a day of riding would be a kickass gift and wouldn't cost anything)... just something geared more towards my interests.

I couldn't help but feel a little put off by her using the car as an excuse not to put any real thought into my gift. Now, I know I'm being an ass by not being excited about the car, but it's just not my "thing" (and I hate the thought of adding another car payment). But should I be perturbed by her not putting any real thought into my gift? I'm certainly NOT a hard person to shop for, and she knows that better than anyone.
Jackson I am with you 100%! You are not being an A$$. the fact of the matter is I enjoy putting time and thought into giving the most perfect gift, and would expect that those who choose to give a gift would do the same in return. giving any old gift without any thought just for sake of someone giving a gift cheapens the whole gift giving thing!

I am all for practical gifts. If I were in your shoes, I would feel the same way though. If I need a car, it isn't my 16th B-day, its a utility that you need to get to work etc. If by chance she won the lotto and brought you home your dream truck and a stack of gift cards for gas, now that is more than just "we need this car and it just happens to be around your birthday so here its your B-day gift"

I bet if you are anything like me you'd much rather have her overhear one of your conversations with friends and hear you say you need a new set of grips or something like that, and her go out and get them and surprise you with them. or even having her call a friend and ask what to get, means more than a $20K car with no thought.

antimony

M.N.F. Beer Wench
Nov 21, 2005
North Carolina
binary visions said:
I understand not wanting to spend a lot of extra money since you're buying this new car, but... Jenn wants a new coffee table for the living room and I've agreed that we'll be buying it eventually - it's a nice table, for sure, but I don't get worked up over furniture. I'd be a bit put out if we bought it together and she threw a bow on it and made it seem like it was a present for me, though.
Can you slap a bow on it and get it for me? I love getting gifts that save money, like things I want to buy anyway. Then I don't have to pay for it. :D

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
antimony said:
Can you slap a bow on it and get it for me? I love getting gifts that save money, like things I want to buy anyway. Then I don't have to pay for it. :D
Exactly why I always get bike parts for birthdays and Christmas.
It keep me from buying them.:)

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
geargrrl said:
now you guys know how we feel when you suggest power tools or household appliances for birthdays and Christmas.

~gg

um, speak for yourself. I love power tools and home appliances for b-day presents.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
geargrrl said:

~gg
I don't think that exactly applies here. You may think those things are not creative enough, but at least I'm going to be really excited/happy to receive a power tool that I asked for.

Jackson's point was that he wasn't happy at all about the car, he just realized it as the prudent vehicle to buy. Plus, they were going to buy it anyway - and now, his wife wants to make it his birthday present.

bomberboy11

Monkey
Jul 15, 2005
At a computer...duh
jacksonpt said:
I do, um... how shall I say... have a tendancy to be be a pushover - yea, let's go with that... I have a tendancy to be a pushover when it comes to my wife. In the 7 years I've been married (took me about 6 months to learn this), I've figured out that I really have ot pick and choose what I dig my heels in about. This is one of those things that I don't. Granted I know she won't give me a card that says "Take 5 or 6 hours next weekend and go ride.", but I also know that she won't take me out for dinner and have the waitresses sing to me while her mom is back out our house hanging balloons and streamers with 70 of our closest friends.
That is the root of your problems right there. Being a pushover. If you don't put things out in the open and try to get by through implying your needs and wants, that will get you nowhere. My girlfriend and I have a perfect understanding of each other because I am completely up-front with her about everything, and I expect the same from her. This eliminates the guesswork from both sides and leads to probably 90% less problems in a relationship. If I say something crass or rude, such as something I would say in response to the exchange you and your wife had about the car, perhaps something to the effect of it having no though or personal touch, that is exactly the point. Albeit my personal style to be a bit blunt with my lagnuage and such, it's obvious there's a problem and it's dealt with on the spot (she's the same way, we expect this sort of thing from each other). In other words, there is absolutely no benefit to keeping your thoughts on something that concerns your partner from them. I know this happens a lot to married guys when they've been with a woman for a while: they will often just roll with things in order to avoid a conflict. That is why it is critical to develop these habits with your partner early on so there is no barrier and no second guessing one another. There should be no reason to hesitate to bring something to your wifes attention, and the same should be expected of her, or it will grow into a much greater problem fast (just carefully observe some of your married friends and track their behavior around their spouses throughout the years: it's very common). To answer your original question, no, you aren't being an ass, BECAUSE YOU HAVEN'T SAID/DONE ANYTHING YET.

Now that that's out of the way, WTF is with the tread pattern on that Toyota FJ or whatever that hideous blue thing is??? Can anyone offer an explanation for that?

Another thing that warrants an explanation: the lack of Chuch Norris references by this point in the thread after that punch picture (I'm sure we can do something combining Chuck Norris and the term "cockpunch" - just the 3 words are almost a Chuck Norris fact).

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
bomberboy11 said:
Now that that's out of the way, WTF is with the tread pattern on that Toyota FJ or whatever that hideous blue thing is??? Can anyone offer an explanation for that?
That was what they showed the concept FJs with. The productions FJs, I believe, come with BFG ATs.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
binary visions said:
I don't think that exactly applies here. You may think those things are not creative enough, but at least I'm going to be really excited/happy to receive a power tool that I asked for.

Jackson's point was that he wasn't happy at all about the car, he just realized it as the prudent vehicle to buy. Plus, they were going to buy it anyway - and now, his wife wants to make it his birthday present.

I wasn't clear I guess. The power tool reference is when the power tool person of the house wants to buy something that THEY want ( chop saw, whatever) but uses the non power tools birthday/xmas as the excuse. "hey honey, I'm going to buy a nice table saw for me to use, for your birthday".

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
geargrrl said:
I wasn't clear I guess. The power tool reference is when the power tool person of the house wants to buy something that THEY want ( chop saw, whatever) but uses the non power tools birthday/xmas as the excuse. "hey honey, I'm going to buy a nice table saw for me to use, for your birthday".
Oh.

Those guys are idiots :)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
geargrrl said:
see Homer Simpson, bowling ball.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
geargrrl said:
Now the catch to that is, if one purchases the saw and makes something with it for the birthday... I will post pics later, but I told her the saw was for her birthday, and I just happened to make a lamp with it (and a few other tools) she wasn't pleased when I told her the saw was for her birthday, and I let her stew for a while then over dinner, as she was doing something I set up the lamp in the living room, and when she saw it she was blown away. She had seen the lamp at a high end furniture store for $750, and loved it, when I told her I could build it for her she said yeah right and rolled her eyes. now every piece of furnature she sees she asks me to make for her... and she doesn't get upset when I buy tools cause she knows she will end up benefitting from them!

Unfortunately this prank tactic doesn't work anymore with her, she knows what the end result is, it was more fun when she would get all fussed up over it!:)

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I was searching for FJ Cruiser threads and came across this one...

What was the final resolution and more importaintly, is the 08 FJ really going to come topless??!?!?!? :eek: