Quantcast

Am I measuring this wrong?

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
I just took off the shock on my 02 Bighit Comp, just to mess around. Well, I took a ruler to measure the vertical travel, and it seems that it has 7 inches of true travel. So if I got a slightly larger i2i shock, say 8.25 as opposed to 7.8 would I be able to get the extra bit of travel from it if I stuck it into the furthest away hole in the linkage? I'm very interested to see if i could or not. Well, mostly to see if a slightly larger shock would fit without a problem, lol. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks,
Tony

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
i think it would screw ur four bar linkage up, that only works with single pivots, the way to increase travel is by the shock link i believe.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Originally posted by mack
i think it would screw ur four bar linkage up, that only works with single pivots, the way to increase travel is by the shock link i believe.
Yea I realize that the biglink and all that would be better. i guess my main quesiton is, could I successfully run a shock with the same stroke, but a slightly longer i2i? or would that screw things up?

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
if you can fit the larger stroke shock in the links in some setting you will be fine and get more travel.

For instance:

you can run a 8.75x2.75 or a 9.0x3.0 on a Disco Volante where stock is 8.5x2.5

On an RFX you can run a 7.75x2.75 to get 6.75in travel, stock is 7.5x2.5 (pretty sure you cant run the bigger shock on a small)

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Originally posted by ViolentVolante
if you can fit the larger stroke shock in the links in some setting you will be fine and get more travel.

For instance:

On an RFX you can run a 7.75x2.75 to get 6.75in travel, stock is 7.5x2.5 (pretty sure you cant run the bigger shock on a small)
Yea, i measured the distance between the mounts on it. The middle shock mount on the frame to the furthest away mount on the linkage, and the distance was between 8 1/2-3/4 inches. So would I be able to run a shock that's 8.25x2.25 and still be alright? whereas the stock shock is 7.875x2.25? Or, could I run a larger shock with a larger stroke also and get a little bit more travel from it? I'm mostly just curious at the moment, I don't have any funding to do anything at the moment though :(

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
going up in eye to eye without gaining stroke to get more travel is downright stupid IMO
Yea, yea...but a local guy has an Avy he's trying to sell that's 8.25x2.25 so if I have the opportunity I might try to trade stuff for it. It would be a sh*t load better than my VanillaR:p

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California

For instance:

You can't fit a 9 x 3 on a Disco only a 8.75x2.75 and thats with no adjustability.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
The Avy would need to be revalved for the bike and your weight. You would have to send it to Avy and get it redone. Check out the website. There is a few pics of the BH with a new link and Avy for more travel.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Originally posted by Kanter
The Avy would need to be revalved for the bike and your weight. You would have to send it to Avy and get it redone. Check out the website. There is a few pics of the BH with a new link and Avy for more travel.
Yea, i've seen them. I'm too poor to afford any of them though.:rolleyes: