Quantcast

am I screwing up my wheels?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I noticed the other day that my brakes are engaging one pad, then the other. If my wheel isn't centered between the two pads so they engage at nearly the same time, am I throwing my wheel out of true?

I know, seems picky, but I'm very lucky to have mountains here where I can descend for a long time and because they're steep with lots of switchbacks, I'm very often applying the brakes.

cliffster5

In dog years I'm dead
Aug 23, 2001
Salinas, CA
Op, you're prolly wearing out one of the pads more than untruing the wheel. Is it possible that the brake calipers are sticky and not fully disengaging after you release the brake levers?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I don't see any real problem other than uneven pad wear - with the miles you are putting on I would think your cables could stand a cleaning - you'll be amazed to find out how much gunk gets in there.

VOTE KERRY.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Originally posted by cliffster5
Op, you're prolly wearing out one of the pads more than untruing the wheel.
ok, cool, thanks!

Originally posted by cliffster5
Is it possible that the brake calipers are sticky and not fully disengaging after you release the brake levers?
Originally posted by Serial Midget
...I would think your cables could stand a cleaning - you'll be amazed to find out how much gunk gets in there.
well, I do need to tune and clean my bike in general.

Originally posted by Serial Midget
VOTE KERRY.
see my sig? :devil:

bigwheel

Monkey
May 24, 2004
Canada
What type of brakes do you have? Some brake calipers have an adjusting screw so both pads contact the rim at the same time. If not, you can loosen the caliper and try to center it manually.

As others have mentioned...it's not really a big deal as it's not hurting anything. But I like to have things "just right" on my bikes.

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
Originally posted by bigwheel
If not, you can loosen the caliper and try to center it manually.
Or if you've got a cone wrench you can slip it on the flats between the caliper and the frame and tweak the brake alignment there.