Quantcast

Am I the only old dude that thinks an urban bike…

Urban Bike???

• Dude you’re 33….give it up (all the more reason…..)

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Fun is fun….go for it!

Votes: 36 63.2%
  • Good way to develop skills and burn off some office steam….

Votes: 17 29.8%
  • I’m 14-19 y.o. and can’t relate….what is “office steam”?

Votes: 2 3.5%

• Total voters

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
I saw some guy around my age doing some cool “stuff” on an urban bike the other day and was wondering… Am I the only old dude (at 33) that thinks having a hardtail bike built for urban thrashing would be fun (like when you were a kid)?

Seems like it would be a good way to develop skills and have fun doing it……

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
I love my 24" SS urban setup. She's a tank, and a lot more fun in the city or park than my mtb. Helps me develop a different set of skills, and helps my flow. When I get back on my Evil or DH setup, I fly!

Click on the 666 in my sig...

younger22

Monkey
Apr 26, 2005
Upstate NY
who cares what other people think, you're the one having fun....I think a lot of people just don't know how to have fun....that's why they "make fun of" older guys riding around doing tricks, I am only 21 and have been asked why I do it, and I just say If you don't understand then it's not worth the time trying to explain....my .02

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
A guy about 50 came into the shop and asked about a Freeride bike. I hear so many stupid questions, I saracastically replied, "Are you doing 15 foot drops?". Innocently, he said, "No, just 7-8 footers." I sold him a Gemini for the schoolyard he rides in.

I also ride with a guy who is 44, a respected businessman, who rides DH like a maniac and bought a P.Street for his park runs. He does pretty well on the dirt jumps too:

I am just a little younger than these old farts and I have a Norco Torrent. I use it for a lot things (it was my first bike with disc brakes). I won't be mistaken for Aaron Chase, but I try my best.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
i actually just got back from an street ride on my new STP. buy one. it's fun. i got into dropping stair sets/gaps on my fr bike, and I still like the big squish for anything more than about 4 feet cause of assorted back injuries. even with that limitation, it's a great bike to have. jump higher, roll faster, turn tighter, manual longer etc etc.

aggrorider

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
HEY! I know what "office steam" is! I wake up at 5:30a.m. every morning, got to a school that dishes out homework to no end, then go to work at the shop 'til 7 and do my homework 'til 10 at the earliest!:mad:

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Shut up kid, build the damn bike and ride it! :p

I'm 45 and ride uphill, downhill, jumps and ladders in the woods, stairs and walls in the city. It's all good fun and makes it impossible to get bored on a bike.

It's funny when a security guard catches you and says "Man, you should know better!"

Mike

lux

Monkey
Mar 25, 2004
Wilmington, NC
jeb4 said:
Am I the only old dude (at 33) that thinks having a hardtail bike built for urban thrashing would be fun (like when you were a kid)?
33 is old? Suck it up princess and get the bike!:p

Lux (44 and still rolling teh urbon and dj!)

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Tenchiro said:
I am 33 and have am in the middle of a SS urban build.

Good times. :cool:
:stupid:

I'm 33 and am have a Steelhead almost ready to roll!! Can't wait to take it to Ray's and Rye this winter!!! :devil:

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Someone has to say it:
Don't bother with the urban MTB. Get a BMX bike instead. No, it's not too small, you just need to practice riding it. Leave the handlebars at the same angle the forks are at, and ride only that bike for a couple weeks, with maybe some XC rides thrown in. Go the the BMX track, the skate park, and burn off steam from work and sprint around and practice manuals and bunnyhops. You'll learn a ton, and it's way smoother than any 26" mtb. A MTB seems smoother cuz the suspension, but it's actually not. Once you figure out the BMX, you'll have about two feet of travel with your arms and legs. On the MTB you'll have a foot and a half of travel. It's hard riding a BMX with a MTB background, but it'll teach you a ton, it's WAY cheaper, and it's way stronger. Plus it's more punk rock. Just have fun!

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Go for it, fun is fun. You also have to take into consideration that there is not shortage of "urban riders" getting up there in age. For example, take Lenosky, he has to be well into his 30s by now.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I had my Endless that was good for trails or street. I also had a full rigid Free Agent Bettyas well as a KHS Rigid One that were both fun for tooling around.

I'm 34 and I noticed my knee and my back started to hurt on the rigids only because I would do stupid stuff you would think I knew better than to do. My son still rides the hell out of my Betty and loves it. I have thought about getting a KHS Porter because they are cheap and effective.

Ride what you want.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Do it!!!

Then you can come down here and get chased out of UCI and other urban spots with the rest of us!!!:D

Kinda funny when the campus scurity notices the white hairs in your beard.... :evil:

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
your as young as you feel, they say...

this guy just turned 39 a few weeks ago. he rides nearly everyday...

Scarpa

Chimp
Aug 31, 2005
Felton
I'm 28 and am seriously considering a BMX bike to mess around the neighborhood on and to learn to dirtjump. Now I don't feel like such an old fart! ;)

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
yup, my good buddy is 34 and rides a 26" dj bike. Hes out digging at the trails as much as i am , and can jump better than me. But he gets hurt easier... and it sidelines him longer. Hes not in what i would call 'good' shape either though.

peace

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
jeb4 said:
I saw some guy around my age doing some cool “stuff” on an urban bike the other day and was wondering… Am I the only old dude (at 33) that thinks having a hardtail bike built for urban thrashing would be fun (like when you were a kid)?

Seems like it would be a good way to develop skills and have fun doing it……

uh, 33 is not old.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
laura said:
uh, 33 is not old.
I like the way you people think! hahaha

It's totally a "state of mind thing"......I guess that's why I look at "stuff" that I thought was cool when I was 15 and still think that "it" is something that I MUST HAVE!