Quantcast

Am I the only one

Haro27

Chimp
Apr 18, 2004
Am I the only one still racing with rim brakes?
I am still thinking of going to dice brakes but I am so
Happy with what I got. So my question is there any one
out there with me ????

Oct 2, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I run discs on all my bikes. I never really had a problem with V-brakes when I was running them, but once I put discs on one of my bikes the V's just weren't the same.

If you are happy with what you got then that is all that is important. Lots of people still run v-brakes on their race bikes.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I actually prefer rim brakes. IMO they're more reliable and they're lighter. For XC riding and racing no one really needs the power of a disc brake when a high-end V-Brake works really well.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I did a lot of bad weather riding, and the rim brakes don't cut it. If you are a fair weather cyclist, it could be OK to just V's.

My next hardtail will be disc only though.

Haro27

Chimp
Apr 18, 2004
I ride in all kinds of wither form rain to snow. The way I look at it XC racing and riding you don’t need the braking bower that a downhiller needs. Just a good set of brake pads and you are all good.
What rim brakes do you use?

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
My race bike this year came with rim brakes, Top Fuel 110. I had a few races where I wished I had discs: Mammoth, Brian Head(raining/hailing), and a couple of others. For next season, I'm running discs; whether on a new bike or upgrading the current one.

BTW, my brakes are the Avid Single Digit SL's, I'm sure the true V-brakes (ie. Shimano) would work better with the parallelogram link.

Aug 17, 2004
Va Beach
I have XTR V-brakes and like them just fine. I feel like I have more modulation (no skidding unless I wrench it). On that note, I'm going to build a new XC bike, full tilt. I've been considering Juicy seven's. I like the little pressure input at the lever. One of my main goals on the new bike is low weight so that's going to be a factor though.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
When I bought my Kona I gave myself permission to kick in the extra money and go for discs. It's a safety concern more than anything and plus a hell of a lot more fun to know that I can tear up the trail and will be able to stop on a dime no matter how muddy or steep the trail is. I have Hayes hydraulic discs and I would highly recommend them along with Juicy 7s.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I prefer Ceramic rim brakes on my XC bike. I feel they have the best modulation going. I've owned avid mech, hayes and hopes for my trail bike and didn't like any of them. Actually I liked the feel of the Avid mechanicals but I constantly need to adjust them. I have tested out a friends bike with XT disks and like the modulation and might trade them out for my Hope mono minis.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i am annoyed that so many frames are becoming disk only. i love Vs, and believe a lot of people who are riding discs are doing so simply because "they're sooooo much better" regardless of when/where/how they ride.

SD7s = love.

i don't ride in mud because i've been trained that riding in mud damages the trail. that's all there pretty much is around here when it rains.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I'm pretty agnostic about brakes. My new bike came with discs and they stop pretty nicely.

Of course, so did my old XT V's.

The one thing I *really* like about discs is one-finger braking even on those monster 7-10 mile XC downhills. :thumb: No more semi-cramping forearms.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I think brake fade on long descents is the big reason I prefer discs for XC. We have long descents and V's fade a lot.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
I use discs, and race....besides Westy (I think) most of the respondants here are posers (dont race!)

I will be building up a hardtail over the winter, that just might have rim brakes for the those non tech course / nice weather race days

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
SkaredShtles said:
I'm pretty agnostic about brakes. My new bike came with discs and they stop pretty nicely.

Of course, so did my old XT V's.

The one thing I *really* like about discs is one-finger braking even on those monster 7-10 mile XC downhills. :thumb: No more semi-cramping forearms.

SD-7 levers, ceramic rims and kool stop green pads give me more power and less fade than my Hopes. My only gripe with rim breaks is when you bend up a wheel, but I seem to warp disk rotors more often than I bend up rims.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
I'm with westy. My rim-braked XC bike has the most powerful, most consistent and best feeling brakes of any of my 5 mountain bikes. This includes some crazy ass DH setups too. It looks like my next XC race frame won't have rim brake mounts, and that makes me sad...

AustinM

Chimp
Feb 22, 2005
i race and I've only used v-brakes. Live in Nova Scotia, Canada too so it gets pretty wet and muddy at times. I've used my v-brakes for all five years I've raced and I feel fine with them.

UNHrider

Monkey
Apr 20, 2004
Epping, NH
My race bike has magura marta disc brakes and i will never go back to V-brakes. They just work so much better out here in the east where the trail conditions can a bit sloppy.

matt

splat

Nam I am
All my racing I have done has been on one of my bikes that has rim brakes. They work. and if it ain't broke why Fix it ? The one place I have really found Discs are a Nessecity . is if you ride in Sub Freezing weather , Ride thought a Puddle ( or too Much Snow ) the rims get glazed with Ice , and the Brakes just don't work. But I have yet to see a race in those conditions.