Quantcast

Am I wrong for being pissed?

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I never offer opinions on anything unless asked by the students, then I have a 3-4 minute preface before speaking about any issue, and every once in a while, during the conversation, I say the facts are.....(insert facts here)... and my opinion is... (insert opinion here)...in order to clarify that I am neither trying to influence them, nor am I trying to start trouble...

I have people who I work with, who don't take the same approach, and I don't understand or condone that behavior... It is the responsibility of a person in my position to help young adults make descisions, and develop oppinions on their own, and not to influence them with OUR opinion! that practice is completely irresponsible!
A good model, but hardly one that works in all instances. Don't you teach industrial arts or something similar? I am sure someone could resort to preaching on any subject, but I cannot see how a practical art lends itself to some kind of corruption by the teacher injecting his/her opinions on the subject.

History, literature- virtually all humanities and studies of humans- all involve interpretation and opinion. "Theory" and "fact" are, by their nature, expressions of opinion (your understanding of an event, because it is processed by your mind, is not necessarily my understanding). As soon as history gets away from dates and numbers, actually as soon as you start writing anything down, you are expressing an opinion and imbuing history with your own biases and prejudices.

There are more and less unbiased ways of teaching and, to be sure, teachers of all kinds should not make their opinion the dominant one in the discussion. But, it is not within the realm of possibility for a teacher to teach "only facts and theories" because these things don't really exist. They are, themselves, expressions of opinion.

The key, I'd say, is teaching sets of competing opinions and not leaving opinion out of the equation, which is more or less impossible.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
A good model, but hardly one that works in all instances. Don't you teach industrial arts or something similar? I am sure someone could resort to preaching on any subject, but I cannot see how a practical art lends itself to some kind of corruption by the teacher injecting his/her opinions on the subject.

History, literature- virtually all humanities and studies of humans- all involve interpretation and opinion. "Theory" and "fact" are, by their nature, expressions of opinion (your understanding of an event, because it is processed by your mind, is not necessarily my understanding). As soon as history gets away from dates and numbers, actually as soon as you start writing anything down, you are expressing an opinion and imbuing history with your own biases and prejudices.

There are more and less unbiased ways of teaching and, to be sure, teachers of all kinds should not make their opinion the dominant one in the discussion. But, it is not within the realm of possibility for a teacher to teach "only facts and theories" because these things don't really exist. They are, themselves, expressions of opinion.

The key, I'd say, is teaching sets of competing opinions and not leaving opinion out of the equation, which is more or less impossible.
Wait....did I just read that right? Did you just diss brunge's approach to teaching because he doesn't teach history or literature? So, I guess art and religion have no symbiotic relationship whatsoever, huh?

....Careful you don't hurt yourself getting off that high-horse, sparky.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh

Not totally, but I am usually talking about situations in the news, or something that may have happened in school etc.

You are completely correct about my subject area... there are no ifs ands or buts... only cut and dry things you have to do and things you never do, as they pertain to safety! I don't just teach my main subject area anymore, I also teach other subjects as well... it is writing, reading history, and math across the curriculum so in some cases we do get into some other dicey situations.

as for competing opinions... I totally agree! it is a great way to keep personal opinions out of it! using terms like "some people may say..." and counter it with "but others may argue" is a great tactic that usually ends up in great discussion!

sorry to derail Manimal...

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Wait....did I just read that right? Did you just diss brunge's approach to teaching because he doesn't teach history or literature? So, I guess art and religion have no symbiotic relationship whatsoever, huh?

....Careful you don't hurt yourself getting off that high-horse, sparky.
I didn't take it that way at all!

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
update: due to my crazy schedule, i emailed the dept. head. if he wants to meet in person about it i can do that but i just don't have time to find time to meet him right now.

i'll post his response when i get it.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
she's actually very pleasant. she seems "casually professional" but also naive. up until this incident she just seemed overly nice and afraid to offend anyone for any reason (an attribute that doesn't exude much confidence imo)

elf 232

fewchur serjin
Jan 5, 2007
Im in your head
haha...you should see the pics i took of him last week in my tact gear (swat stuff). the body bunker swallows him whole and he kept falling over 'cause he could barely hold it up. i got a great shot of him in all the gear holding my personal AR ;) he loved it :thumb:
Dude, you can take your swat gear home?!... wow... that is some insentive for a career change.:thumb:

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Dude, you can take your swat gear home?!... wow... that is some insentive for a career change.:thumb:
it is nice. ii live about 10 miles outside of the city limits and i get to bring my car home. we don't call our unit the "swat" team, it's called "tact" team for "tactical." it's not a separate unit like you see on tv (dallas swat), ours is all volunteer. we train after our normal duty and we're on call for high risk response type of stuff. so the gear stays with me all the time.

i did consider coming to class after tact training one day, dressed out in full gear. she'd freak when i told her i had a flash bang "grenade" hanging from my vest ;)

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
i did consider coming to class after tact training one day, dressed out in full gear. she'd freak when i told her i had a flash bang "grenade" hanging from my vest ;)
she would freak more if you added, "and a pair of flash bang grenades hanging below my belt! ":biggrin: