Quantcast

am running my first 10k on november 12th

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
am running this
http://www.nike.com/corre/runamericas/

i once run (walked actually) a 5k, for a charity race my mom´s company organizes. i walked and chatted the whole "race"... thats the closest to long distance running i´ve been so far.
started preparing this week. havent done intense cardio in months.

on monday, did 3.2km in 15:10.
on tuesday, 4.8km in 30:15. both at medium pace.

i´ve never run a timed mile. later today i´ll go for it to see where am standing. am hoping for a 6:xx.
not to bad considering i was a couch potato less than a year ago.

anybody into running? tips? i´ll need some new shoes if anybody wants to recommend a pair...

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
your shoes depend on you.

we all have different feet. Crap, my feet are different from each other (the right one is slightly bigger than the left).

First, figure out whether you pronate, supinate or are neutral.
linky
Second, go in to a running store (not any old shoe store), and get fitted for your shoes. The guy who just fitted me has run 3 marathons. So, he had some idea of what he was talking about...

As for running tips?
-build up a schedule
-stick to it

Looking at your times, I think you will be fine in the race. You probably aren't going to place.......... but you aren't going to be last.

There are quite a few runners here on the monkey. There are more runners elsewhere (running forums).

AA717driver

Chimp
Oct 21, 2006
The land of Bio-diesel
Check out coolrunning.com. The forum section will get you all kinds of info on how to prep for a race of that distance without injuring yourself.

I just started bumping up my distance and the information there helps a lot. Good luck.TC

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
I second the coolrunning website. I've only been going there for a few months, but have found a wealth of knowledge in that time. Start here: http://coolrunningnewbie.pbwiki.com/ and go from there.

My best advice is to not start off too fast, or ramp up your mileage too quickly; you will risk injury by doing so. Last September I "tweaked" a muscle in my upper foot by doing too much, and it didn't fully heal until January. This past June when I took up running again, I put in too many miles over a few week period, and had to battle plantar fasciitis (sp?) thanks to my idiocy.

I now comfortably run 10 to 12 minute miles, and can easily finish my 10+ mile trail runs.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
awesome links.
i just run the race earlier today. gotta rank it quite high in my "best experiences" list. it was fun, lots of people (i was #6115, and i saw people numbered 8500+) and there were marching bands and fun stuff all the way.

52 minutes for my first 10k. (first time i actually run 10k at once too).
been doing 5k outdoors once a week for the last 3 weeks, and 2-3k sprints once a week on a treadmill.

i got a bit of knee pain at the 5k mark, a bit of abdominal pain at the 8k mark... but i run out of diaphragm (a bit of pain at the ribs) before running out of legs.
i didnt know how to pace myself, so i went for a km every 6 minutes, at 30 minutes i felt kinda fresh so i picked up a bit of pace... some kenyan dude who run under 32 minutes won. amazingly fast.
great experience. am gonna repeat it in the next months.

Kihaji

Norman Einstein
Jan 18, 2004
For the shoes, go to a running shoe store, not a chain. Much like LBS bikes are better and you get a more knowledgeable staff than a chain store, specialty running stores are the same. My coach in high school got me off going to <insert chain store here>, and my feet have never looked back.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
i went to a running store too.

tried like 10 pairs of shoes, the sales guy was very knowledgeable. pointed me to the right shoes for my supinated steps.
he pointed me to some nike air zoom elites. quite decent and very light.