Quantcast

AM Wheelset choice

andres611

Chimp
Jun 28, 2007
So, I've been looking into the Crank Bros Iodine wheelset. Read really good reviews about them. I currently have the DT Swiss that came on my Specialized Enduro S-Works, with a Specialized hub in the front and a DT Swiss Custom SL in the rear.

I do everything on this bike from DH to XC.

Is it worth to get the Crank Bros or should I stick with the DT Swiss.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
I really like some of the Crank Bros designs but the quality seems suspect. I have a Joplin post but the clamping head is aweful. Saddle slides back no matter what. Their pedals are really hard to find in my area because the shops say durablity issues around here.

I would be tentative about their wheels until other folks have doen the beta testing for us. When you hear comments like really good customer service a lot, it might mean that a lot of people have had issues. The best warranty is the one you never need. I mean back in the day I got really fast warranty replacement of Race Face turbine cranks from the square taper days. After the third one cracked I replaced them with Shimano and never had a problem again. Know what I am saying?

I just slapped on a set of Easton Haven wheels. Seem good so far but only a few rides on them to date. I prefer the wider tubeless rim as it provides a better profile for a 2.3-2.4 tire that I prefer. Not a very good qr though.

I am using Continental Mountain King 2.4 protection balck chili tires tubeless with sealant and they pumped up easily with a foot pump.

Last edited:

ndirt

Chimp
Feb 28, 2010
ID
I have never heard bad things about the iodines, bike mag did a small review on them this month as well and had nothing but good things to say with the exception of price.