Quantcast

Amateur racing - solo or with others?

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
I do some training but don't have much time to practice on the DH bike. I hit races solo and do my practice runs alone, and this is really the only quality DH time I get in. Clearly, this formula isn't working, as I'm bringing up the rear in my category this year, generally with a big rhythm-busting off somewhere on the course. I can stick short sections, but have problems tying an entire race run together.

Realizing that it's probably a stupid way to approach racing, how many others are in the same boat? My feeling is that there's a lot to be gained from training and practicing with others.

The first step in my remedial self-help course is to time every run after the initial inspection. Yay or nay?

Alternatively, insert your favorite foreveralone.png here.

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
How often do you ride you DH bike.....only at races....?
Basically. I'm a few hours from lift-serviced hills, though I go out and push the bike up some local stuff. Mostly XC and gym stuff.

Why don't instead of racing, you skip that and actually go for rides.
Despite the crap results this year, I enjoy racing. I raced as a teenager a lot (XC/DH), and just recently got back into it. I still enjoy the process of preparing for the season, practicing and racing itself.

Sounds like I'm probably Doing It Wrong(TM). I imagine that other guys in the 30+ group probably at least fit some non-racing riding into their schedules.

Last edited:

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Despite the crap results this year, I enjoy racing.
That's not what I'm saying really. My point is, that if you are ONLY racing, then the time on bike is very little. You go to a race, get MAYBE 4 or 5 practice runs in, and your race run. Then you're done. Where as when you just go RIDE, you get loads more time on the bike. I loved racing too, but it was allot of work and hassle for not much riding, that's all. And if you aren't riding otherwise I would say your time is better spend on the bike then waiting for the experts and pros to go through

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
i like to walk the race course from the bottom up, definitely helps seeing lines you wouldn't normally see and figuring out tricky sections.

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
That's not what I'm saying really. My point is, that if you are ONLY racing, then the time on bike is very little. You go to a race, get MAYBE 4 or 5 practice runs in, and your race run. Then you're done. Where as when you just go RIDE, you get loads more time on the bike. I loved racing too, but it was allot of work and hassle for not much riding, that's all. And if you aren't riding otherwise I would say your time is better spend on the bike then waiting for the experts and pros to go through
Got it. That's a perspective my brain hasn't adopted, I guess. Always looking to measure progress and success.

But, maybe it's time to just ride. I think I'd miss the racing, though.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
There is TONS to be learned from racing/training with other guys in your class. Try and make it a mix of slightly slower to faster than you, and learn what you can from them. Trade taking the lead through sections, scoping/talking about different lines/techniques, and generally having fun and whatnot. Some of my best results have come from lots of inspection-style runs with a couple other guys, where we'd hike different lines on the track and really figure things out.

Timing your practice runs: invaluable tool for getting moar better. And from what it sounds like, even moar invaluabler for you, since it will "force" you to take top-to-bottom runs in practice and work on your consistency. That's one problem I have, is making sure I take complete runs in practice so I know where I'll be tired, know where I can rest, know where I need to pin, etc. Some sections that seem easy can be really difficult at speed, or when linking together with other sections.

WALKING track inspection: also invaluable. I have a tough time remembering each and every section of a course when all I do is ride it a bunch of times. It's like I get a good general overview of the track, but slowing down and walking it helps me absorb the intricate details more completely.

DISCLAIMER: I am not necessarily a fast racer guy. I enjoy racing, a lot, but for the last 7-8 years was just getting shelled in Cat 1 30+. I moved down to Cat 2 this season and I'm not killing it by any means, but am more "in the hunt" as they say, with a few top-5 results this season. Take my advice/perspective for what it's worth.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

Not often I agree with montasheu, but :stupid:

I've ridden recreationally for the past like 8 years...I thought I was pretty good. I started racing competitively and much like you I am almost always at the back of the back. I'm beginning to realize that riding my bike is fun, and paying more to ride on one course at a specified time and lose because every other sport-category rider is either just naturally better or spends all his free time riding is not fun.

I encourage you to go back to freeriding, because, well....riding bikes is fun.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
actually riding behind somebody faster than you is a good way to get faster yourself. Helps you judge just how fast you can go through a section if you "hook" onto their tire. I tried to follow one of my buddies but he eventually just lost me as I couldn't keep up.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
actually riding behind somebody faster than you is a good way to get faster yourself. Helps you judge just how fast you can go through a section if you "hook" onto their tire. I tried to follow one of my buddies but he eventually just lost me as I couldn't keep up.
When solo its all about just chillin and just finding some time to progress and get back to basics "fun".

Following people helps alot and taking charge on a trail knowing if you cant shake the guys you'll catch flak doesn't hurt the urge to hammer down.

Last edited:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Depending on how fast they are, it's also a good way to get dropped ;) :rofl:

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
Full Trucker had lots of great advice, I fully agree. I definitely ride better with my teammates. Racing may be solo but being on a team absolutely helps. Because not only are you riding with others, you're riding with the same crew at each race. A team also helps for spare parts, car pooling, camping, condos and getting sponsors.

I run Neverest racing here in Colorado and I'm actually looking for a few new riders if anyone is out here and looking at getting into racing.

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
Thanks, especially to Full Trucker, for all of the replies.

Starting with the assumption that I'd like to continue racing, it's obvious that I need to just plain ride more often, and preferably with others. As it stands, I don't really have a method of gauging my speed until I line up at the start gate, and that's not really a recipe for success.

I'm in a weird location, but I do make it to a mountain to practice occasionally, so I could step that up a bit.

Last edited:

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008
Ride at race pace more. Ride the trail from top to bottom without stopping - as if you were being timed, every time.

Push everything to the breaking point on every run. If you've got a fireroad to pedal out on, give it everything on the trail, then push some more on the fireroad instead of relaxing.

Edit: I'm not sure about the racing with others thing. I can ride much faster when i am behind a faster rider, and much faster than i would necessarily ride that trail. But when i'm on my own - in a race run for example - i am always more conservative.

My focus at the last race was to avoid practising with my team, and i pulled a 4th, which is my best result at that level . I still hung out with them in the pits, on the lift and and so on, but riding time was race time not chat time.

Hanging out with a group at the races is key for me, but on the race course, it's all me.

Last edited:
Full Trucker had lots of great advice, I fully agree. I definitely ride better with my teammates. Racing may be solo but being on a team absolutely helps. Because not only are you riding with others, you're riding with the same crew at each race. A team also helps for spare parts, car pooling, camping, condos and getting sponsors.

I run Neverest racing here in Colorado and I'm actually looking for a few new riders if anyone is out here and looking at getting into racing.
I'm in the springs, and I'm looking to get into racing. :P

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
First rule of going fast is the same as in basketball. Want to get better, chase a better rider. Not because they have secret lines, but your body will pick up on their pace and catch on to their rhythm if you do.

Ever play basketball or volleyball with people not as good as you. Man does it make you suck as a human. Then play with a club team, even if you're the weakest link, you get better, more precise, faster and positioned better.

Chase a fast local and your body will remember what is truly fast. Your mind has forgotten, but it will catch on again quick.

Never, I repeat, NEVER follow anyone your own speed.