Quantcast

AMBP needs advanced riders to ride Mt. Baldy this weekend.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
AMBP needs you!

I need about 5 advanced/expert/intermediate level riders who are willing to risk their necks. This weekend we are going to be doing some "exploration riding" down the face/under chair 1, AKA "The Death Chair"

If you are willing to come to Mt. Baldy and ride send me a PM. I will explain more via PM or telephone or e-mail. Basically this is what we're doing: While we wait for the FS approval on the new trails for chair 4, the management at Mt. Baldy has asked that we try to find and re-establish the existing "trails" under chair 1. Our goal is to find as many routes from the top of chair 1 down to the bottom/parking lot. If we can find and establish some trails, we can officially open Mt. Baldy.

This is not going to be casual riding. In some cases you may find yourself faced with a drop, a steep face or having to push back up to get a better line. Full face helmet is REQUIRED (Only because we don't want ot see anyone getting hurt while helping). Body armor is recommended. But you will get to ride some gnarly stuff as well as a long fire road. :D

We can do this Saturday AND Sunday. Details to be worked out this week.

We ask that you DO NOT advertise this on any other website, or anywhere else.

One last thing: We are not responsible for ANY injuries, death or property damage.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
damn man, I'll owe you big if you can get baldy opened up. It's like 25 min from my door. Anyway, keep up the hard work, and thanks for stepping up to take point on this thing. BTW, it seemed like much of the surface up there is loose scree. . . have you been able to find any genuine dirt lines? Hope the mt wilson ride is prospering. . . I'm bout to head out to snowshoe this weekend. should be hot. later

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Let me rephrase it better: We need riders who are willing to ride where there is no trail. No beginners because we won't be able to coach/teach/etc. If all you are used to riding is fireroad then this isn't for you. You will be able to ride basically anywhere on the mountain you want (within the ski are boundaries). If you were bored with Snow Summits legal trails and rode the illegal ones you may want to do this.

We don't need Benders or Klassens or Shandros only. We just want riders who can get themselves down a mountain without killing themselves. :D

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
bfranke said:
Mike, since people's view of advanced/expert/intermediate are so different, can you rate the riding that will be needed by different trails? How does it compare to Skyline or Wilson? I'd like to help out and am free this weekend, so you tell me if you think I would qualify since we've ridden together a few times.
I would say that if you have ridden Skyline or Wilson you'll be fine on most parts. There are a few areas that are a bit hairy. Nothing that would scare anyone who I have ridden with so far.

I think you'll absolutely be fine.

Sorry if I scared people. I just didn't want a beginner rider to get in over their head and get hurt. :D

R

Rabie

You should PM Pegboy. He'll find all the drops to flat the mountain has to offer.

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
Rabie said:
You should PM Pegboy. He'll find all the drops to flat the mountain has to offer.
In that case all freeriders will love the parking lot. It's filled with drop to concrete flattness, a true freerider paradise.

bfranke

Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
San Diego
Ciaran said:
I would say that if you have ridden Skyline or Wilson you'll be fine on most parts. There are a few areas that are a bit hairy. Nothing that would scare anyone who I have ridden with so far.
I think you'll absolutely be fine.
Sorry if I scared people. I just didn't want a beginner rider to get in over their head and get hurt. :D
I was in the process of typing my reply when you came back with the better trail description, so I went back and deleted, but not quick enough since you quoted it. Man your fast! Are you, or the mtn going to have trail markers or something to identify what if any trails we may find?

merrrrjig

Turbo Monkey
Dec 24, 2003
Mammoth Lakes, Ca
I am in most likely, I will PM Cirian in a min. but if I cant get my bike to run or my car I wont be going, But it should be done by then! I am open for both days, I would prefer sat cuz i HATE traffic!

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
So here's the deal...

For a number of years there have been some very poorly built and neglected trails down chair 1. It is very steep (I think Zark measured it a 35-45 degrees) and is about 1,100 vertical feet.

While we wait for the long process of getting chair 4 open and such, we are going to begin rebuilding, correcting, and cutting trails down chair one.

What we are looking for is anybody that wants to come out and do some trail work. The locals have told us that there are about four trails in defferent degrees of neglect. All these trails would be rated black diamond. I personally wouldn't even consider some of them (but I'm a puss).

IF you want to volunteer for Saturday or Sunday let us know. I'll most likely be there both days.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Let me go on record. Using that skidder trail, even on a temporary basis is a BAD idea.

Have fun guys.

I've got a pretty good idea of where I want to route a real trail in the future.

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
Zark said:
Let me go on record. Using that skidder trail, even on a temporary basis is a BAD idea.
Why's that? Pretty sure when you were there with Mike and I we all agreed that there was a need to create a better way down Chair 1. To do nothing at all would be the worst idea. Then somebody would go down one of the "Death Trails" and well, maybe die. I agree that these trails suck and I think Mike made it very clear that these trail aren't for everyone and aren't meant to be the fun DH trails that will come under Chair 4.

It's just the first of a thousand steps we need to take in order to ever get this plan off the ground.

I'm excited to see what you have planed for Chair 4 and I hope you will find time to help us with the other areas as well.

NoOnEKnOsMe

Chimp
Mar 1, 2005
Coto De Caza, Ca
anyone going from the oc or corona area going on sat. morning? im taking merrrrjig and ride2the death so if u wanna meet off the freeway or somethin we could like get a convoy thing going. itd be sick to see a bunch of trucks with big bikes goin down the freeway

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
NoOnEKnOsMe said:
so what happens if more than 6 people show up?

The more the better. DON'T FORGET to bring your dirt tools, shuvels, picks, ect.

Merrrrjig said:
were taking the 73 up there, thats in the OC I think, Is that the best way to get there?
Well, I come from San Diego and I take the 5 north to the 57 north, to the 210 east, exit Mountain Ave (says Mt. Baldy on sign) turn left, follow road tell it ends in the parking lot. It's about 109 miles from my house and takes just under 2 hours in good traffic (knock on wood).

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
Ride2TheDeath said:
we should bring dirt tools u think ?
Not sure if your joking there, but I'll error on the safe side here.

YES bring your shuvels and stuff. This is a trail build day more so than a ride day. Our mission is to make the 1100 foot "cliff" down Chair 1 ridable. Trust me as of now you will do more walking down the crap trails then riding, but we are going to hopefully change that.

We are also trying to get Baldy to bring some giant mounds of dirt brought out so that we can start making a jump area at the Notch (top of chair 1) and at the bottom of chair 1.

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
ncrider said:
Why's that? Pretty sure when you were there with Mike and I we all agreed that there was a need to create a better way down Chair 1. To do nothing at all would be the worst idea. Then somebody would go down one of the "Death Trails" and well, maybe die. I agree that these trails suck and I think Mike made it very clear that these trail aren't for everyone and aren't meant to be the fun DH trails that will come under Chair 4.

It's just the first of a thousand steps we need to take in order to ever get this plan off the ground.

I'm excited to see what you have planed for Chair 4 and I hope you will find time to help us with the other areas as well.
I agree to do nothing would be a bad thing. Take those tools and close off the skidder trails. Seriously. Unapproved, illegal trails pose the greatest threat to our sport and to this project. Doing any work on them will only draw more use, which we don't want! I'm not saying this to be an ass or piss on anyone's parade, I just don't want to loose the best chance we have to get some trails because Baldy is in a rush to sell lift tickets.

Chair 4 is too little hill to seriously be worthwhile. Chair 1 is where it's at, but its gonna be a biotch. I've emailed Mike a map with a couple of my proposed routes on it. I'll send it off to you too.

MTNDREW

Chimp
Jun 12, 2005
SoCali
i should be there. my friend and i are goin. downhillzepher, taylor was gonna ride mt wilson this sat but we will ride here instead.

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
Zark said:
I agree to do nothing would be a bad thing. Take those tools and close off the skidder trails. Seriously. Unapproved, illegal trails pose the greatest threat to our sport and to this project. Doing any work on them will only draw more use, which we don't want! I'm not saying this to be an ass or piss on anyone's parade, I just don't want to loose the best chance we have to get some trails because Baldy is in a rush to sell lift tickets.

Chair 4 is too little hill to seriously be worthwhile. Chair 1 is where it's at, but its gonna be a biotch. I've emailed Mike a map with a couple of my proposed routes on it. I'll send it off to you too.
Thanks for the trail map guide. It looks good. What you drew is kinda what I was trying to say, in that we need a better trail system down chair 1. The "death trails"/"Skidder" trails are out. Damn though, looking at the map brings back the scarry reality of how steep it is and how much work it will take.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
FYI -

Everyone: This is an exploratory event. There are some skidder trails down the loose scree. We want to avoid those for a number of reasons. We will likely close these. There are a number of what look like existing trails, we want to explore these and see if they are salvageable, and if we can connect them up. If we are lucky enough to find a few routes down we will then check them against the forest service regs. and see if they are technically legal (slope, angle, and all that). As Noah said, we do not want to do anything illegal or anything that will jeopardize our big picture plans. We all want to ride right now, but we also need to keep in mind that this is something that we want to last for many years.

We'll brief everyone and give further instructions in the parking lot before we head up. We'll let everyone know where we're riding, and working and where to stay out of. It will be some hard work, some fun, and will be a good solid investment into our sport, and our home. And it will be a nice sneak preview of the mountain for those who have never been there.

Let us know if you have any questions or concerns.

P.S. [spelling nazi] It's "SHOVEL" [/spelling nazi] :D

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
ncrider said:
Thanks for the trail map guide. It looks good. What you drew is kinda what I was trying to say, in that we need a better trail system down chair 1. The "death trails"/"Skidder" trails are out. Damn though, looking at the map brings back the scarry reality of how steep it is and how much work it will take.
Reading the new IMBA trail building book gives me faith that mechanized support could help big time. I fired off an email to Mike with some ideas for a plan of attack, we should all touch base later about that.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
lovebunny said:
so no northstar this weekend conrad? if not you have to take me to baldy
Excellent. We need a guinie pig to go down the "Slope O Doom" and the "Death Chair". We have some pretty good names for the trails already.

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
Does chair 1 have any fire roads that could be routed to biking trails? Berm turns with jumps, etc.

Also, what's the vert on Chair 4? How long would it take to get down from the top on a decent trail? Under 3 minutes?