Quantcast

AMBP needs advanced riders to ride Mt. Baldy this weekend.

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
W4S said:
Does chair 1 have any fire roads that could be routed to biking trails? Berm turns with jumps, etc.

Also, what's the vert on Chair 4? How long would it take to get down from the top on a decent trail? Under 3 minutes?
No berms, turns, jumps. As of now it's just a hang your ass off the back end and lock up the brakes stupid trail.
Chair 1 has an access fire road, which is used for hiking and employee vehicle access. Baldy lets you ride down it, but it's pretty much like the Komakazee.
The trails will avoid the fire road as much as possible.

Chair 1 vert is 1100 feet and chair 4 is something like 800- 900 feet. Can't really speculate as to ride time yet, but it won't be long. Chair 4 will give way to lots of jumps, berms, and other goodies.

Metal

President of FRONJ
Oct 17, 2001
Orange County, CA
I stopped reading this thread as soon as Rabie posted, so don't know if you have the riders you need.

Some people think I am an advanced rider even though I am truely a hack. If you need a rider like myself to ragdoll down some steep rocky stuff, I am down.

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
Metal said:
Some people think I am an advanced rider even though I am truely a hack. If you need a rider like myself to ragdoll down some steep rocky stuff, I am down.
Sweet, Can you come out on Saturday?

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
Metal said:
well that will definatly make the weekend more fun to have sanjay there. the goggles are working out awesome btw cept that they fell off on my second run at calstate :mumble:

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
lovebunny said:
we gonna have a full bike park by next summer? and what about when winter rolls around?
Maybe. It all depends on what we can get approved, how long that takes, and how many people volunteer to build,......

The good thing is that the side of the mountain that we plan to use often never gets enough snow to open to skiers. So there is a possiblilty of an almost year round park.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Metal said:
I stopped reading this thread as soon as Rabie posted, so don't know if you have the riders you need.

Rabie posted? Probably something about being gay, anyway.

Come on up, Sanjay. We can always use another ragdoll. :thumb: And more brown people... I am always the only brown one. :p

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Fireroad is in purple

Proposed trails in lime green (2 of them)

Ski lift from Base to the Notch is in pink.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Nice work, MS paint? ;)

Other things to note on the map:
The black dashed line is the opposite side of the mountain.
Below the "national" type is a wilderness boundary where we definitely can't build.

The Southern route is my preffered one. Its longer, follows a ridgeline, has fewer switchbacks and avoids the firroad more. It might be snowy more often though...

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
Also I'd like to point out that the area on the left that says "Canyon" is where a third trail will be put in. Also, if you follow the purple fire road past the "Notch" that is the area of Chair 4. You can't see all of it, but the dark dash marks are some of the ski runs.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Zark said:
Nice work, MS paint? ;)

Other things to note on the map:
The black dashed line is the opposite side of the mountain.
Below the "national" type is a wilderness boundary where we definitely can't build.

The Southern route is my preffered one. Its longer, follows a ridgeline, has fewer switchbacks and avoids the firroad more. It might be snowy more often though...
MS Paint? P'shaw. I am a professional... PhotoShop. :p Like using a sledgehammer to tap in a nail, eh?

I will have copies of the map for everyone this weekend.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I'll try and bring some pin flags so that if we find something we can mark it.

And don't forget that the parking lot is a freeriders paradise. Huck to flat! Yee haw!!

We have no problem naming a trail "Viva le Fronj", or something like that. :p

Metal

President of FRONJ
Oct 17, 2001
Orange County, CA
Ciaran said:
Rabie posted? Probably something about being gay, anyway.

Come on up, Sanjay. We can always use another ragdoll. :thumb: And more brown people... I am always the only brown one. :p
Are you guys going to meet at the Baldy parking lot at a given time, or are you guys going to carpool there. Also how much do lift tickets costs?

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Metal said:
Are you guys going to meet at the Baldy parking lot at a given time, or are you guys going to carpool there. Also how much do lift tickets costs?
I will be arriving about 9 am. Everyone can meet us in the parking lot's top tier. Some of the SDers are carpooling. Lift tix should be comped or we'll drive up the fire road.

One of the things we are going to ask everyone after they have seen the mountain is how much would you be willing to pay.

DIRECTIONS (From Mt. Baldy's website) We are located East of L.A .and West of San Bernardino.
Get to the 210 FWY. and/or the 10 FWY.
Note: There is more then one Mountain Ave. exit of the 210 Fwy. Make sure it is the Mountain Ave exit in the city of Upland, which says, Mount Baldy, on the Fwy. exit sign

Take the Mountain Ave. Mount Baldy exit from either freeway, which is located in the city of Upland and Head North towards the mountains. Mountain Ave. will turn into Mt Baldy Rd. and dead end into the Ski Area Parking lot.

The 210 FWY brings you closer to the Mountain and less city driving. If you wish to look us up on Map quest you can use 6700 Mt Baldy Rd. Ca.91759 However, they give complicated directions and we don't recommend that you use them..

merrrrjig

Turbo Monkey
Dec 24, 2003
Mammoth Lakes, Ca
I dont think were going to be there at 9 (more like 10 or 1030 im thinking) Would you like me to maybe pick up a 100 pack of those little orange flags? There super cheap!

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
merrrrjig said:
I dont think were going to be there at 9 (more like 10 or 1030 im thinking) Would you like me to maybe pick up a 100 pack of those little orange flags? There super cheap!
YES! Yes, absolutely. If you don't mind, that is.

webb

Chimp
Mar 13, 2005
echo park
damn... I wish I could make it. have a sick time, and let me know if something similar might happen over the fourth.

R

Rabie

Metal said:
Lets ride sometime. I am done with school and want to ride my bicycle.
Since Rhondes moved to LA he only rides erbon with his Euro-friends.

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
Ride2TheDeath said:
lol sweet dude if we need anything eles tell me i work at a hardware store and get stuff for cheap so ya :thumb:
Bring more of those little flags. Do you have any spray paint, biodegradable kind, that we could use to mark out jumps/burms.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Goddamn it, I'm going to San Fran this weekend to visit family...can't get out of it. Gotta get this stuff done before I take off. It's painful to watch mountain biking suddenly becoming something that's an occasional luxury in my life, not a constant...

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
Rabie said:
Since Rhondes moved to LA he only rides erbon with his Euro-friends.
This is true, I only ride with the upper crust of society now. But for my FRONJ friends I can always make an exception.

Metal, I live about 2 miles from the Kenter DJ's now, call me when you want to come up.

MTNDREW

Chimp
Jun 12, 2005
SoCali
my friends dad owns BSI. its a huge hardware distribution warehouse type thing. i imagine if i told him what it was for i could get some stuff for free if not very cheep. tell me anything that people need and ill try my best to get it. im not making any promises though. :D

AN6 Freerider

Monkey
Feb 18, 2005
socal
so basically saturday is a ride or die type of situation.. sounds fun!!!
im not sure if i can be there i will try but in the future when we can start building stunts you can definitly count me in as i have access to lots of lumber shovels flateners,HO's and what not i can bring a wheelburrow or 2 up. i remember racing downhill at baldy many many years ago was fun.. blitzing down that fire road... to long of a course.. baldy has killer natural terrain. well what time saturday and or sunday just in case i decide not to ride local here in the SFV

AN6

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
downhillzeypher said:
Will Baldy let us work on the fireroad? (jumps, berms)
Kind of. The main fire road/access road must remain passable. However there are other access roads that we can work with. There are also a couple of other places we can work on and get jumps and such in.

Patience young grasshoppah... soon all shall be revealed... IF you can snatch the pedal cleat from my hand...

We will do our best to show everyone around and answer any questions this weekend.

And please remember that even though we will be riding, that this is exploratory riding and a work weekend. If you are just looking to ride you may be better off hitting your local trail.

For those of you who can't make it, we will be posting an update on the website along with pics.

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
downhillzeypher said:
Will Baldy let us work on the fireroad? (jumps, berms)
The main fireroad, which goes from below the parking lot to the Notch is not going to have anything built on it. Thats an access road and has tons of hikers all over it. Not to mention if you fly off it your :dead: