Quantcast

AMBP Wants YOU (and your money)

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Well kids now that I am back and the wedding thing is done I can devote more time and energy to AMBP and Mt. Baldy. Here's what's up:

We need money!!!! :D

So we need to have a fundraiser. What I am looking for are ideas from you all as to what you think would be cool and fun to do. Some ideas we have had are:

- Shuttle runs at Mt. Wilson (or wherever) with a BBQ after where people would make donations

- Movie night at an LBS or pub. We show a bunch of MTB flicks and pass the hat around.

- Trail day at Mt. Baldy. - Everyone comes up and rides what they can find, we BBQ and pass the hat.

What can you think of? Currently we need the money for tools. Just so everyone knows, 100% of the money will go to the assn., and used for tools, purchasing food for fundraier BBQ's, etc. No one in the assn makes any profits.

Like we've said before this is all about you all out there and your riding fun. This is not about me or ncrider. Like you we just want a place to ride without having to pedal. :D Time is moving fast and very soon it will be time to do some serious trail building. We are going to be ramping up the effort and hopefully we'll all be able to see some tangible results of everyones hard work. So let's hear those fundraiser ideas!

Thanks!

BullittX

Monkey
Dec 6, 2002
Hell Cajon, CA.
I suggest solicitating the local bike industry, especially those geared toward DH/FR, for schwag that can then be raffled off for a "charitable donation" to the cause. Send off an email addressed to the sponsorship coordinator, then follow up with a letter bearing your logo, your mission statement, goals, accomplishments and what you are looking for in the way of a donation.

Schwag should also be used to reward the hard working volunteers who help build!

mark@sdmba.com

Alex966

Monkey
May 6, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Hey Mike, I sent an email to Dirt Rag, telling them about our organization and website, and asked them to put our press release on their site or put a link to it on their site. I also said that we would be willing to do a phone interview possibly, to tell them more about us and our goal's, and our need to be heard about around the industry. I submitted our site's link to their link page, also I submitted our link to the link page of Broken Spoke. I told them to contact me or you for more information about our website, and possibly doing a phone interview. If they contact me, I'm basically gonna give them your contact info that you have listed in the press release.

I've been doing some search engine optimization on our website, which includes: keyword analysis, meta tag optimizing, search engine submitting and link building. It's been working, because we made the 2nd page of Yahoo search ranking's, which is real hard to get too, so now I gotta work to get us to the top of the page ranking's! I'm back in SD now, so I'm gonna be getting with Andy, and we are going to re-design the website, for a final official website!

Oh have you seen the updates that I did about month ago, to the website? Anyways it looks much better than it did initially. But once Andy and I get done with the new design, it's gonna look awesome!

Hey, do you mind if I set up a paypal account for AMBP, or would you go ahead and do that, then give me all the login info. I want to incorporate Paypal into our website, but we need a paypal business account, so that we can sell shirt's, hat's, recieve donation's using a Paypal shopping cart.

Alright, well I've got alot of work ahead of me, for our site, but it will be worth it once we get sponsor's and revive downhill in SoCal!

-Patrick

Alex966

Monkey
May 6, 2005
Charlotte, NC
oh I just did another search and for the following entered keywords we are #2 on page one of the Yahoo search ranks!!!

keywords used: "socal downhill mountain biking organization"

hooray for boobies!!!!!!(haha I'm listening to bloodhoung gang, right now! )

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
What about an "Un official" race? You could charge a "suggested donation" and winner gets a % of the pot. I know some guys who do a poker run based around this and it sounds like a great idea. Basically you have a window of 2-3hrs. For every run you take, you get a playing card. At the end of the race the person with the best poker hand wins. If there is a tie, then the persons involved would actually play a hand to decide the winner.

I think it's a cool idea because it eliminates the need for class seperation. It also doesn't necessarily matter who is the fastest rider, but if you were able to take seven runs vs. five, you could discard two cards and increase your chances. You never know though, some slow guy could get five great cards!

Anyway, you would need a location with relatively short runs, like a certain place in So Cal named after a baseball player. If you did this in conjunction with a barbaque($ for food and drink) you might make a little $. This would also be great to do at Baldy once it is capable...I can picture it now.. a poker table in the parking lot with chicks in bikinis as dealers...!

merrrrjig

Turbo Monkey
Dec 24, 2003
Mammoth Lakes, Ca
ya, we should try to get some free product to raffle off, thats prolly gunna raise the most money. I would also see if AMBP could sponsor the hypnosis premire and get all the proceeds or w/e they do. I know thats what they usually do.

Grizzle

Monkey
Sep 7, 2005
La Crescenta, CA
As soon as i get my truck transmission sorted out, i can use my truck as a shuttle vehicle for wilson if you all want, but as of right now, the tranny is snafu.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
We could always go back to the h**ters girl s idea. They could help dig...Or have a car wash w/ them, people WOULD want their cars washed. :D

Slacker

Monkey
Jul 24, 2002
Los Angeles
If I write you a check, do I make it out to and mail it to the same place?

Association for Mountain Bike Preservation
890 South Rosemead Blvd. # 30
Pasadena Ca, 91107

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
Slacker said:
If I write you a check, do I make it out to and mail it to the same place?

Association for Mountain Bike Preservation
890 South Rosemead Blvd. # 30
Pasadena Ca, 91107
Yes thats the best thing to do until we set up the Paypal account.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Thank you for the excellent ideas and replies.

I will be at the Fontana race this weekend with info and the donation bucket. Now that we have has a few donations come in (Big huge thanks and props to those of you who have donated!) we have some funds to purchase tools with, and really get things going with the building.

Since the holidays are here and people can get pretty busy we are tentatively scheduling our first fundraising event for January. We'll post more info as soon as we can but we're thinking of a shuttle ride and BBQ, or a movie event.

Also, we have had some very positive interist from the bike industry. I won't mention any names untill I have recieved permission to do so, but some retailers, manufacturers and media companies have come forward offering to help with the effort.

I will be heading to Mt. Baldy the weekend after thanksgiving (Nov 26 or 27) to chat with the management and to check out a few things. Anyone who is interisted in seeing the mountain is welcome to join me.

I know things seem to be moving slow but I want to reassure everyone that we are still working on things. As always if anyone has any question feel free to contact me here or via e-mail: mike @ ambpsocal.org (remove the spaces). Thank You.

Alex966

Monkey
May 6, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Mike check your AMBPsocal.org email, I FWD you an email a day or two ago. IT was about a guy from DIrt Rage who wanted to interview us over the phone about our organization. He wanted to do it today or yesterday, but I guess you didn't get the email. I'm gonna email him and reschedule for next week, probably tuesday or wednesday. But I think that you should talk to him, since you have more info to give him than I do. Alright dude get back to me! I'll see ya at fontana probably tomorrow.

Patrick

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
I would also like to thank those that have given donations to AMBP. These first donations are so critical in the proccess that I really owe a speacial thankyou in the faith you have given us. With your help, the amazing industry help we MAY soon get, and the hard work of our builders, this park will be a dream come true for all of us.

Alex966

Monkey
May 6, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Thrillkil said:
doing a summer racing series at baldy could accrue some serious money
Yes it could, but that would require a significant amount of time for planning, as well as a lot of man power. Until we get more volunteers for position's on the AMBP staff, that is something that we won't be able to do very well, until probably the summer of 2007. But I could be wrong, you guys could prove me wrong, by volunteering and putting in your time and efforts, just as Mike, Conrad, Andy and myself.

Something more feasable would be a single race, both DH and 4X events. Though, we would not accrue very much money from that one race, since it would be our first and would cost us just about as much to host it, as we will make from entry fees and sponsorships. It would be more of a popularity event, to establish us through out the industry as a new organization and new race venue for DH/4X in the SoCal area. It could possibly even become a stop on the NMBS in the coming years. I'm not sure if there would be good XC racing there, but I would assume there would, since almost all resort's have some decent XC.

But yeah, pretty much this will eventually come as AMBP grow's and time progresses.

irishMonkey

Chimp
Jun 17, 2005
Los Olivos
[this is mtnbrider; i'm using my brothers computer, and his name won't log off]

On the 22-24, are you (ciaran) going up there? I'm going to be down there then and want to check it out. I'm not bring my bike down; I assume your walking?

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
irishMonkey said:
[this is mtnbrider; i'm using my brothers computer, and his name won't log off]

On the 22-24, are you (ciaran) going up there? I'm going to be down there then and want to check it out. I'm not bring my bike down; I assume your walking?
I'll be eating turkey with the wife and drinking too much Guinness.

Also a bit of an update: Looks like Baldy is looking at a warm winter which means less ski revenue for them. They are even more enthusiastic about a bike park.

Alex966

Monkey
May 6, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Ciaran said:
I'll be eating turkey with the wife and drinking too much Guinness.

Also a bit of an update: Looks like Baldy is looking at a warm winter which means less ski revenue for them. They are even more enthusiastic about a bike park.
Yaay bike park!! :) haha Sounds good!

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
How is the money. Did you open a paypal account yet?

I dropped some flyers off at cambria (CBO) in slo. I'm going to print more for arts and the other shops.